RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Prospective Owners

Uniden Prospective Owners - A discussion area for those interested in purchasing specific models and have questions about them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2017, 9:30 PM

Nationwide Scanner Database: Includes all known police/fire/ambulance/DOT channels in use in the USA and Canada*
Weekly Updates: Free updates keep the scanner database current so if an agency changes channels, you won’t be left behind.

Seems to basically be an HP2 integrated into the scanner. But limiting the Agency Types and may not let you make a Favorite list?
Old 03-24-2017, 10:13 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Nice!

Now build one that's a dual band ham transceiver for Vhf/Uhf and a HomePatrol married together and you will rake in some cash.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:30 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancow View Post
Nice!

Now build one that's a dual band ham transceiver for Vhf/Uhf and a HomePatrol married together and you will rake in some cash.
I like that idea. I would rather have a scanner that can decode simulcast though.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:33 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Question

UPMan, will this CB just "alert" to nearby PS radio use like the older Unidens, or will it actually "receive audio" like a regular scanner?

Last edited by W8RMH; 03-24-2017 at 11:38 PM..
Old 03-25-2017, 11:05 AM

Lightbulb Amateur Handheld with Digital Trunking Scanner

What I would like to see is a (analog) Ham HANDHELD transceiver (could just be 2 meters or even dual band) with a Digital Trunking Scanner (receive P25). Uniden has manufactured VHF Ham transceivers in the past. Remember the Midland model 13-510. It was made by Uniden.

RigPix Database - Other ham radios - Midland 13-510

I would buy one of these in a flash !! Any other amateur radio operators wish to second this "dream" handheld / scanner idea ?

swman

Last edited by swman; 03-25-2017 at 11:11 AM..
Sponsored links
Old 03-25-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W8RMH View Post
UPMan, will this CB just "alert" to nearby PS radio use like the older Unidens, or will it actually "receive audio" like a regular scanner?
The way I read it, the "alert" and the scanner functionality are two separate features. I'm assuming the "alert" is for people who don't want to listen to the radio traffic, just be alerted to nearby units, like a radar detector would do.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:01 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by swman View Post
...I would buy one of these in a flash !! Any other amateur radio operators wish to second this "dream" handheld / scanner idea ?...
Nice idea. Years ago, others tried the ham/scanner ideas. Examples: the family of ICOM IC-2SRA, IC-4SRA, etc.

I haven't seen a true portable front-keypad fully-programmable CB/scanner or Ham/CB/Scanner, but would like to, though. Maybe the Bear Tracker 885 is a "first-step" in that direction by Uniden.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:10 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default GMRS, Family Radio, itinerant freqs, FM Radio

The 885 sounds great, as far as it goes. But I already own a BCD536, in fact, two of them. So a CB with a scanner is redundant for me. But if a CB radio were manufactured that included the 40 AM channels, with SSB capabilities and the FM CB band, family radio, GMRS, and the legal itinerant frequencies, I'd be interested.

Bill
Old 03-25-2017, 3:57 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Very cool idea Uniden! Now let's put some of those new features into the successor to the BCD396XT/BCD996XT.
Old 03-26-2017, 9:21 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

OMG. I think a lot of these are going to be confiscated, especially in the more paranoid communities of New York State. Imagine a cop's reaction to something that is receiving police calls in a civilian vehicle that has a microphone attached to it!

Ham operators have been cited in two cities near where I live for violating the state's mobile cellphone law while talking on their HTs. As one officer told the ham involved, "It's all the same."
Old 03-26-2017, 9:36 AM
Careful, I CAN hear you!
Database Admin

CA, IN, NY, FL.. oh boy the fuzz is gonna bust the fuzzbusters big time... And not just in scannerhater land... You let any LEO hear scanner traffic and see an mic, let alone you talk into it... You have a long talk about to happen at the very least.... An HH version at least in IN won't get as much static from the boys in blue as this mobile rig will. So you have been warned folks... If you ain't got a Ham ticket, or some other type of official FCC license, or State Level LEA permit.... You take the risk...

Last edited by milf; 03-26-2017 at 9:41 AM..
Old 03-26-2017, 10:15 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaf1956 View Post
7 color LCD display on a CB when the 536HP top of the line scanner is Whiteish Blue, go fiqure!
This
Old 03-26-2017, 4:32 PM

The 885 shouldn't raise the ire of LEOs anymore than using a commercial-grade transceiver as a scanner. If in doubt, just switch the radio off when you see the ol' red/blue in the rear-view.
Old 03-26-2017, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milf View Post
CA, IN, NY, FL.. oh boy the fuzz is gonna bust the fuzzbusters big time... And not just in scannerhater land... You let any LEO hear scanner traffic and see an mic, let alone you talk into it... You have a long talk about to happen at the very least...
Sounds like some PDs need to get sued.
Old 03-26-2017, 6:09 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwienke View Post
Sounds like some PDs need to get sued.
They are enforcing valid state laws.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2017, 6:16 PM

Not if they hassle you under the mistaken assumption that you've got a radio capable of transmitting on their systems.
Old 03-26-2017, 6:48 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Indiana law is very particular on this, it considers anything capable of receiving or transmitting police radio traffic a "police radio" under the law.

Old 03-26-2017, 8:47 PM
Careful, I CAN hear you!
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by evfd1625 View Post
Indiana law is very particular on this, it considers anything capable of receiving or transmitting police radio traffic a "police radio" under the law.

Correct. IN law does not equivocate on this. If it can receive public safety it falls into the coverage of the law. So if you use it mobile you must have FCC license for operation of amateur or other specialized classification or an permit from ISP or authorization from PS department on official letterhead. You can run it as base at home. You can try the "its a CB " excuse if you don't use the scanner functions and that should work. But if its scanning you step in doodoo

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2017, 10:00 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by milf View Post
Correct. IN law does not equivocate on this. If it can receive public safety it falls into the coverage of the law. So if you use it mobile you must have FCC license for operation of amateur or other specialized classification or an permit from ISP or authorization from PS department on official letterhead. You can run it as base at home. You can try the "its a CB " excuse if you don't use the scanner functions and that should work. But if its scanning you step in doodoo

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk
Which is why I always keep my town marshal badge and credentials with me 24/7 especially since I am carrying even with a LTCH or have my portable radio in the vehicle.

Old 03-26-2017, 10:47 PM

Does not seem like it does everything the 536 does. The Frequency range on the 536 seems better according to this write up.