RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Prospective Owners

Uniden Prospective Owners - A discussion area for those interested in purchasing specific models and have questions about them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2017, 8:57 PM

Uniden Bearcat DX100. Blast from the past.
Sponsored links
Old 10-09-2017, 9:40 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by scosgt View Post
It has been stated many times that the hardware in the HP2 is the same as the 436
No. Upman has said the hardware is not the same, specifically the IF filters.
Old 10-11-2017, 9:51 AM

They are not the same. You're right .. my HP1 outperforms my BCD536HP. My BCT15x also out performs it quite handily.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:37 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Hands down 436 and ive owned them all at one time or another.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:00 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by W8RMH View Post
Home Patrol 2.
My best friends wife wants to get him a home unit, primarily for police activity (Anoka County, MN.) Neither are tech savvy (at all) and I'm curious if you'd know what difficulties they may encounter as new users?
Me? I'm an hour away and wouldn't mind getting them going with 'prospectively' buying the Home Patrol 2...
Is it as easy as plugging in a zip code and they're good to go?
Are there limitations between the x36 products and the HP2?
Sponsored links
Old 10-16-2017, 4:18 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

The HomePatrol has a more noob friendly user interface. The x36 scanners have a bit more of a learning curve, but better RF performance and more features.

Either can be programmed by entering a zip code, and selecting the service types of interest.
Old 10-16-2017, 8:53 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwienke View Post
The HomePatrol has a more noob friendly user interface. The x36 scanners have a bit more of a learning curve, but better RF performance and more features.

Either can be programmed by entering a zip code, and selecting the service types of interest.
Ah cool. Thank you very much!
Yeah, they would definitely need a noob interface.
Old 10-16-2017, 9:05 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:

...and the HPs are easier to read and, I think, seem to have better speakers.
Old 10-16-2017, 9:47 PM

Quote:

Not true .. my HP1 out performs my 536HP by a mile. I know there are those that say the x36 models are the best, but the answer is not really when it comes to RF performance. If it was not that the 536HP records .. it would have been gone a long time ago. The real answer .. it is ALL about location. The thing to understand, there are some here that have an agenda and would never say anything bad about certain products. However .. I can say that my BCT15 and BCT15x do not have the issues that the 536HP does, they perform fine.

Last edited by yeg_scan; 10-16-2017 at 10:21 PM..
Old 10-16-2017, 10:48 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

the 436 is by ar the best uniden model by far folks do your research

Uniden BCD996XT, Uniden BCD536HP, Uniden BCD436HP, Uniden BCT15, Uniden BC 370CRS, Uniden BC246T, Uniden BC346T, Uniden 890XLT, PRO-89, PRO-197, PRO-106, PRO-2006
Old 10-16-2017, 11:10 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The BCD536HP/436HP are a touch slow due to the microSD card IMO. But, they're certainly the kings of Uniden's lineup for now.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballwiz86 View Post
The BCD536HP/436HP are a touch slow due to the microSD card IMO. But, they're certainly the kings of Uniden's lineup for now.
YES...That is true. A bit slower than the 996P2 and 325P2.

X36 line best for in-depth features and longer reception due to tighter NFM filtering.

P2 line best for speed, great sound and large font display capable of color background.

HP line best for newbies who don't want to program anything themselves.

I have them all, and use them all. If you have the wherewithal to do your own programming, the P2 line does a fine job of everything that is really important. Perhaps my favorites.

Phil
Old 10-17-2017, 5:04 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballwiz86 View Post
Only true with the stock sd card and recording. Also completely untrue when using location control on multiple statewide or multistate systems with lots of sites and departments. The x36 scanners handle such things with no trouble, while the P2 series can seriously bog down when processing a change in scanner location.
Old 10-17-2017, 8:05 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I don't think there is one "Best Uniden Scanner" That's why I asked the O.P. what his application was.

Some absolutely need a handheld. Others require a larger display, control panel, and louder audio. I prefer not having to deal with the fragile memory SD & MicroSD cards. Batteries always seem to fail at the most inconvenient times. Not being able to get a full day or two on a set of batteries, or a charge, can be a problem.

For my analog needs, I have a BCT15X, and for digital, I have a BCD996XT , and a BCD996P2. I like everything about all of these, and there is nothing I don't like. Portability can be a little heavy and awkward. But there are workarounds, like cigarette lighter jacks in vehicles, and gel cell batteries in separate cases. Or you can create a nice bundle in a ammo box, or camera bag, etc. I'll possibly buy a BCD325P2 in the future for those times I need a smaller, lighter, stealthier handheld.

The HomePatrol series never appealed to me, but they definitely have a unique nitch.

It all boils down to there is no such thing is the best Uniden Scanner. The only option is to buy them all!
Old 10-17-2017, 8:57 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

OP posted this a month ago - never another "peep" from him.

Can we close this?

Old 10-17-2017, 3:19 PM
Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by phask View Post
OP posted this a month ago - never another "peep" from him.

Can we close this?

Why? Looks like an informative thread that might help someone in the future.

Sorry but I don't accept PM's. Please use email instead.
Old 10-17-2017, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMONITOR View Post
I don't think there is one "Best Uniden Scanner" That's why I asked the O.P. what his application was.

Some absolutely need a handheld. Others require a larger display, control panel, and louder audio. I prefer not having to deal with the fragile memory SD & MicroSD cards. Batteries always seem to fail at the most inconvenient times. Not being able to get a full day or two on a set of batteries, or a charge, can be a problem.
IMNSHO, the memory cards are a must in a handheld scanner. And they are not so fragile, after all.
One must just learn to know what he is dealing with...
In my BCD436HP I have had in the past the issue that corrupted data provoke the random reset of its operating system and
the unit restarts without reactivating the recording, but this doesn't happen frequently, and the recording is an irrinunciable feature.
The memory card is easily reinitializable and, to minimize the risk of data corruption, is sufficient not to accumulate too many recordings, which also would slow down the operating system of the 436.
In any case, a recording autostart at power-on option should be added to the settings in the firmware.
Flash memory chips, both internal and/or removable, should be taken into consideration by the designers for future models, but the main issue is the operating system, not the hardware.

Regarding the batteries, two sets of 2500 mAh rechargeable batteries are usually sufficient to cover a whole day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMONITOR View Post
It all boils down to there is no such thing is the best Uniden Scanner. The only option is to buy them all!
I agree. I would collect all the scanners of all brands, If only I could...

Last edited by Valeriy; 10-17-2017 at 9:25 PM..
Old 10-17-2017, 10:10 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Uniden BCD325P2, hands down.
Old 10-18-2017, 6:48 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjgostovich View Post
Uniden BCD325P2, hands down.
A slight edge on my 325 vs. 396xt . The plus being phase II .

My 996xt was a solid performer.

Since thing's are never really equal, I'm a handheld scanner guy.

Scanner's in use - bcd436hp,bcd325p2,bc898t,bcd396xt,bc246t.

Scanner's in storage - psr-500,psr-700,pro-137,pro-2005,aor-1000,icom icr2,bct-15 <blown?>.

Possibly in future - bc125at.

Last edited by pdfdems286; 10-18-2017 at 7:12 PM..