SDS 100 user's manual

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCasto

Premium Subscriber
Basic Questions

Will the user interface / programming scenario be difficult to transition from BCD996P2 to this new SDS 100? Is the learning curve pretty steep?

As we see other electronic products become more feature rich at better prices, why is the SDS 100 different? Is it because the sales forecast is small, maybe there are copyrights / patents to license, is it in anticipation of a Whistler announcement, etc? I sell technology and understand value, obsolescence, inflation, etc. but what is in play that could potentially make a fully featured SDS 100 cost $1,000 or more (nearly double the current prices)? At that price won't many more users switch to the streaming services instead of buying a new scanner? Heck, at the forecasted price, the SDS 100 is approaching the price point of the iPhone X. Surely Uniden did some sort of market study to validate the price point, demand, and anticipated volume.

Indeed the materials and videos now available are creating buzz and excitement. The SDS 100 seems feature rich and is probably a market disrupting product. Hopefully, the early high price is just that, a way to capture the high end users. I hope over time, it becomes a bit more affordable.

I understand it is still in test and things can change, like price. I would love to have one (or more) to replace the 8 scanners I already have. But as long as the BCD996P2 still works, it will be hard to justify swapping it out. Maybe a trade-in campaign would work or something to keep the used prices of the earlier scanner models from collapsing.

I applaud Uniden for continuing their investment in this hobby space. I really do hope the SDS 100 is very successful, especially in the face of a growing encryption trend.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You're a bit delusional about price. The SDS100 uses a receiver design architecture typically found in $1000+ radios. The cheapest competing products designed to receive simulcast are the Unication receivers, which are not scanners, can only monitor one system at a time, and receive fewer bands than the SDS100, for a price similar to the SDS100.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Will the user interface / programming scenario be difficult to transition from BCD996P2 to this new SDS 100? Is the learning curve pretty steep?

IDK, I find any advanced scanner has its own "complexities." Depends on one's level of technical competence / experience and ability to follow procedures exactly as written. I would say that Uniden's documentation could be better, and its programming software could use a redesign to make it easier to tailor to user preferences. I don't expect the SDS100 to be "easier" than the x36 series, but it will definitely require a PC to program, unlike the 325P2/996P2.

As we see other electronic products become more feature rich at better prices, why is the SDS 100 different? Is it because the sales forecast is small, maybe there are copyrights / patents to license, is it in anticipation of a Whistler announcement, etc? I sell technology and understand value, obsolescence, inflation, etc. but what is in play that could potentially make a fully featured SDS 100 cost $1,000 or more (nearly double the current prices)?
Not sure where you are getting the $1,000 price point - maybe all the upgrades for different waveforms? - there are technology licensing fees. UpMan has said the MSRP will be $699. Maybe some preorder vendors are premium pricing atm? I would wait before I'd pay a premium.

phask

Premium Subscriber

. 100 is very successful, especially in the face of a growing encryption trend.

It uses Sentinel for programming, similar to 536/436 and the HP series.

Download and experiment, at least you get a feel for it.

Programming is different, yet somewhat similar between the 996 and X series.

KB7MIB

In another thread, someone said that the MSRP of the x36 series was $599, but the actual retail price is in the low $400's. (I haven't actually priced one, myself. I'm sure you can look around online for current pricing.)

If the MSRP of the SDS-100 is $699, then I would expect that the retail price would be in the low $500's. (I may or may not be right, of course.)

For comparison, I paid around $550-560 for my GRE PSR-500, which was my last scanner purchase.

Although my birthday is at the end of July, I'll probably wait until at least Christmas to gift myself a new scanner, for a couple of reasons. 1) To give time for bugs to be discovered and worked out, and 2) to give Whistler time to announce any new scanner model, (since I already have a PSR-500), that, like the SDS-100, significantly improves simulcast reception, which is an issue here in the Phoenix metro area with both the Regional Wireless Cooperative (RWC) and TOPAZ RWC systems. (I would have liked to have seen a video comparing reception of either or both of these systems between an SDS-100 and an x36 or a P2 model.)

Anyway, we'll see what the actual street pricing will be when it is finally released, and of course what any Christmas holiday pricing might be at the end of the year.

John
Peoria, AZ

BCasto

Premium Subscriber
Not sure where you are getting the $1,000 price point - maybe all the upgrades for different waveforms? - there are technology licensing fees. UpMan has said the MSRP will be $699. Maybe some preorder vendors are premium pricing atm? I would wait before I'd pay a premium.

Thanks for the replies. I read the OM and it looks really great. Regarding the price, I read a lot of the comments in the other forums and saw there would be extra charges for some trunked systems. I think there are 3. If each one is $70 and I add sales tax, I am at $975. Maybe I only need one upgrade, that would change the price to $825. The last BCD996P2 I purchased with the $50 DMR upgrade came to about $430. The current price on Amazon for the BCD536HP is $489 ($525 with tax). Just FYI.

It all looks very exciting.

Voyager

Thanks for the replies. I read the OM and it looks really great. Regarding the price, I read a lot of the comments in the other forums and saw there would be extra charges for some trunked systems. I think there are 3. If each one is $70 and I add sales tax, I am at $975. Maybe I only need one upgrade, that would change the price to $825.

Only if you insist on paying list price. If you try hard enough, you might be able to find someone selling them above list, too (they do that for the x36). Still, that is no basis for a "required" price. Find a good deal and you will pay much less.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Thanks for the replies. I read the OM and it looks really great. Regarding the price, I read a lot of the comments in the other forums and saw there would be extra charges for some trunked systems. I think there are 3. If each one is $70 and I add sales tax, I am at $975. Maybe I only need one upgrade, that would change the price to $825. The last BCD996P2 I purchased with the $50 DMR upgrade came to about $430. The current price on Amazon for the BCD536HP is $489 ($525 with tax). Just FYI.

Just FYI, the list price for the 436 is still $599, and Amazon frequently has the 436 in the $425-450 range. So once the initial buying frenzy slows down, the SDS100 should be available for around $550 if you look a bit. The upgrade keys are $50 for ProVoice and $60 for DMR and NXDN, for a total of $170. So for the fully upgraded unit, just over list price. Not anywhere close to $1000.

BCasto

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the great responses. I am always impressed with the people I meet at RR.com. One other question, how does one get on the early test list? I would love to test it and do videos, papers. etc.? We have a fertile scanning bed here in Raleigh NC.. Carry on..

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You don't.

Don't call them, they'll call you. Or more likely, not.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
You don't ask they come to you.
BTW Jon I just got home from a road trip today used the GPS wife kept asking how the scanner knew what area to listen to without me making changes worked great again.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
BTW Jon I just got home from a road trip today used the GPS wife kept asking how the scanner knew what area to listen to without me making changes worked great again.

Tell her it's telepathy. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.