SDS100/SDS200: SDS-100 Beware of eBay rip-off sellers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecarvalho

Do NOT pay more than $650 for a new UNIDEN SDS-100.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/173369312370

268f0e0cebcb7b5ff69cead1a8a60d89.jpg

Last edited:

allend

Premium Subscriber
Lets make a rational assumption that if Uniden made deals to only sell radios at 650.00 bucks then if this sellers is asking for this BS price then there is no way a seller is going from 953.00 bucks down to 599.00.

As we know the seller is baiting somebody to make personal gain and get a bit. Any normal buyer that is into this hobby knows not to spend this kind of money for a plastic housing with a consumer grade radio inside of it.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
There are sellers like this all over ebay. Of course his $953 price is absurd, as would be the chance he'll sell it for $599. This seller is the equivalent of a ticket scalper who's offering two seats to the World Series. He's taking advantage of a hot product with a high interest and hopes someone will buy at his inflated price.

trp2525

Last edited:

Nasby

Its called Capitalism and Free Enterprise. And its what built our great nation. Rockefeller, Carnegie, J.P. Morgan, etc. all did the same thing in their time.

So it's not really a scam or anything illegal.

ecarvalho

Its called Capitalism and Free Enterprise. And its what built our great nation. Rockefeller, Carnegie, J.P. Morgan, etc. all did the same thing in their time.

Do you see yourself buying anything for more than the going price in the market?
I doubt it.
I never said it was a scam. But yes it is a major ripoff.
Taking advantage of misinformed people is not OK.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
I never said it was a scam. But yes it is a major ripoff.
Taking advantage of misinformed people is not OK.

It really isn't OK to screw your customers, at least from a moral or ethical perspective. But this type of listing apparently isn't violating any of ebay's seller policies either, such as they are.

ecarvalho

It really isn't OK to screw your customers, at least from a moral or ethical perspective. But this type of listing apparently isn't violating any of ebay's seller policies either, such as they are.

True. Sadly.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
I worked for a former national electronics retailer for many years. During their final bankruptcy they had questionable sale-pricing schemes. Some products were marked up just prior to a limited time sale to inflate the discount percentage. Other sales advertised as "below cost" featured items whose actual cost was far lower than that advertised to the customer. Before the entire store went to clearance pricing, 90 percent of products left were marked up by 50 to 100 percent, and then gradually discounted over several weeks or months. I believe some of these tactics were probably illegal, not just unethical.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
Selling an item above market value doesn't amount to "screw[ing] your customers."

It is the responsibility of the consumer to determine if they are getting the best value for their dollar. No one is being compelled, by force or other means, to do business with this or other sellers who have higher than typical prices.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Selling an item above market value doesn't amount to "screw[ing] your customers."

It is the responsibility of the consumer to determine if they are getting the best value for their dollar. No one is being compelled, by force or other means, to do business with this or other sellers who have higher than typical prices.

Therefore the long-standing principle of "caveat emptor". This seller is also not concerned about establishing a long-term relationship with his customers, so realistic pricing is not his concern. Ebay doesn't bill him until he sells the scanner, and so he can list this indefinitely without spending a nickel of his own money.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I checked the listings for the BCD536HP and there was nearly a 100% markup on them. Uniden has said they won't honor warranty for E-Bay purchases (though I wonder about that if it is new from authorized reseller), so buy through an Amazon seller. You can find a bargain if you wait long enough.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I love the sarcasm!

Status
Not open for further replies.