RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Prospective Owners

Uniden Prospective Owners - A discussion area for those interested in purchasing specific models and have questions about them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2018, 5:59 PM

Default New scanner consideration

I am planning on purchasing a new scanner and I'm sure the question has been answered but my specific questions may make it different. I live in the Phoenix metro area and while there aren't a lot of phase 2 systems there is talk about some of the phase 1's going to 2. Want to be ahead of the game and not buy something that will soon be obsolete for my listening needs. I am leaning towards the BCD436HP or the BCD325P2. I like a lot of the features on the 436 although the auto program isn't necessary as I already know what I want to listen to and don't travel. My concerns with the 436 are the reported backlight problems, is this mainly in early release models or all? Is this a common problem? I want to be able to manually select a channel (vfo knob or through the menus on the 436). Keypad is also necessary to input a frequency when not at the computer and don't want to have to add it by search. I have also heard that the memory card in the 436 can have issues but possibly rectified by installing a new card? Looking for suggestions, been out of the hobby for a couple of years but it's time to get back and I am hoping this purchase will be good for the next 5-10 years.
Sponsored links
Old 09-04-2018, 6:24 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Keep in mind most phase 1 systems will get upgraded to phase 2 in a short time. And many are also being upgraded to a simulcast type system

73, john
Old 09-04-2018, 6:26 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I recently picked up a factory refurbished 436 and am very happy with it. I've had several scanners over the years and the 436HP is the best handheld I've had. Can't comment about the backlighting issue or the SD card issue as I haven't experienced either. I upgraded my MicroSD card to a 32GB Sandisk.
Old 09-04-2018, 7:26 PM

I believe the backlight/clock issue on the 436 was only early production. I don't think it's an issue with newer production.

SD card can be an issue if you do a lot of recording. I don't use the 436 to record, so it's a non issue for me.

In some instances, the 436 doesn't do so well on simulcast systems. Not sure about the 325P2, never attempted a simulcast system with mine as it is strictly scanning DMR. That said, the 325P2 is a very capable scanner overall.

Uniden also has the SDS100, which is capable of handling simulcast, however, there have been instances where some say the SDS 100 doesn't do well on simulcast systems.

Unfortunately, it's a gamble with simulcast. I think overall, I would recommend the 436, it's had ample time to prove itself as a decent scanner. I couldn't recommend the SDS100 at this time, since mine has spent more time at Uniden repair then in my hands.
Old 09-04-2018, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocoder View Post
Keep in mind most phase 1 systems will get upgraded to phase 2 in a short time. And many are also being upgraded to a simulcast type system

73, john
There are three Phase 1 systemsthat I plan on monitoring that and may be going to Phase 2 sometime in the near future. I believe all 3 are simulcast so a scanner being able to track these systems is essential since it will be about 90℅ of what I'll be using it for.
Sponsored links
Old 09-04-2018, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsimmont View Post
There are three Phase 1 systems that I plan on monitoring that and may be going to Phase 2 sometime in the near future. I believe all 3 are simulcast so a scanner being able to track these systems is essential since it will be about 90℅ of what I'll be using it for.
Realistically, since you will be listening to simulcast systems your only real choices are the Uniden SDS100 or a Unication G4/G5 Pager. No other scanners/receivers currently sold are designed to work reliably with simulcast systems. From all reports, the Unication receives very well with simulcast systems but it is missing features commonly found in scanners since it is really a pager. The SDS100 looks great but it is brand new, uses a technology that is different than any past scanner (so it has different characteristics) and is relatively power hungry. It works well for *most* people but not everyone.

This review of the SDS100 in the Phoenix area is a bit old but it is relevant to your area.
https://forums.radioreference.com/un...w-phoenix.html
Old 09-04-2018, 8:18 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

For what it's worth, the SDS took care of my simulcast problem..I love my SDS
Old 09-04-2018, 8:18 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSimpkin View Post
Realistically, since you will be listening to simulcast systems your only real choices are the Uniden SDS100 or a Unication G4/G5 Pager. No other scanners/receivers currently sold are designed to work reliably with simulcast systems. From all reports, the Unication receives very well with simulcast systems but it is missing features commonly found in scanners since it is really a pager. The SDS100 looks great but it is brand new, uses a technology that is different than any past scanner (so it has different characteristics) and is relatively power hungry. It works well for *most* people but not everyone.

This review of the SDS100 in the Phoenix area is a bit old but it is relevant to your area.
Whistler is supposed to be coming out with the TRX-100 (handheld) & TRX-200 (desktop/mobile) Q4 and they'll do LSM Simulcast.

If you're going Uniden then SDS would be your best bet.
Old 09-04-2018, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSimpkin View Post

Appreciate the reply but I have looked at both of these options and not considering them due to price. I have monitored these systems with a Phase 1 Pro106 and seemed to work well, I would only assume a more advanced scanner would at least have the same performance as the lesser.
Old 09-04-2018, 8:30 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Appreciate the reply but I have looked at both of these options and not considering them due to price. I have monitored these systems with a Phase 1 Pro106 and seemed to work well, I would only assume a more advanced scanner would at least have the same performance as the lesser.
Not sure if you've seen this Youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm6z083n6VE

YMMV. You're not going to know how a 436HP performs in your location(s) monitoring the systems you want to monitor until you try it out.
Old 09-04-2018, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgav View Post
Not sure if you've seen this Youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm6z083n6VE

YMMV. You're not going to know how a 436HP performs in your location(s) monitoring the systems you want to monitor until you try it out.
Well yes that is one way to accomplish the task but I was looking for recommendations before I spent the money only to find out that I should have went with the other choice.
Old 09-04-2018, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Well yes that is one way to accomplish the task but I was looking for recommendations before I spent the money only to find out that I should have went with the other choice.
Unfortunately, that is the only way to accomplish the task with simulcast systems. Not the answer you want, but it is the truth. Make sure you can return the radio if it does not work for you. Phoenix, based on past reports, seems to be a difficult area.
Old 09-04-2018, 9:59 PM

Quote:
That is a very bad assumption when it comes to simulcast systems.
Old 09-13-2018, 9:23 PM

I have a 436hp now and I’m thinking of getting the sds100. will it be able to receive the phase 2 tdma system?
Old 09-14-2018, 5:14 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by brischo View Post
I have a 436hp now and I’m thinking of getting the sds100. will it be able to receive the phase 2 tdma system?
Yes. A good reference for specifications here on RadioReference is found at:

https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/SDS100

Retired E911 Police Communications Systems Manager
BC800XLT (1978) and BCD536HP (2015)
NOTE: Also a Motorola Police HT "Scanner" while working...

Last edited by K4EET; 09-14-2018 at 5:19 AM.. Reason: Added the RR link...
Old 09-14-2018, 4:22 PM

Thank you !