RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Prospective Owners

Uniden Prospective Owners - A discussion area for those interested in purchasing specific models and have questions about them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2018, 2:35 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Scanner Master Shipping Timetable

I finally pulled the trigger on the SDS100!

I ordered with two of the upgrades from ScannerMaster. I realize that the upgrades add time to the expected shipping timeframe - but does anybody have any sense on how long that delay is? I'm resigned to not getting it before my birthday late in the week. I would assume the mass rush on these scanners has slowed down a bit.

Thank you!
Sponsored links
Old 09-12-2018, 3:10 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I think their web site says 10-15 days with the upgrades.
Old 09-12-2018, 7:15 PM

It shouldn't take that long to open the box, register it at the Uniden webpage and pay the fee and enter the digits into the scanner. It's probably a 10-15 minute process added to the shipping time.

They probably don't have any scanners themselves and need them shipped from the distributor, when they have collected enough customers to make it wortwhile to send an order for a 10-pack. Neither distributor or resellers wants to sit on a bunch of scanners if Uniden decides to launch a revision 2 version after getting the initial feedbacks of j401 and belt clip problems.

/Ubbe
Old 09-12-2018, 7:41 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubbe View Post
It shouldn't take that long to open the box, register it at the Uniden webpage and pay the fee and enter the digits into the scanner. It's probably a 10-15 minute process added to the shipping time.

They probably don't have any scanners themselves and need them shipped from the distributor.

/Ubbe
1. Why anyone would pay for the upgrades from anywhere but Uniden still amazes me. As they charge more than Uniden for the upgrades to me it is ridiculous but to each his own.

2. Highly unlikely that they don't have any scanners themselves. Scannermaster is quite a large business.
Old 09-12-2018, 8:42 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I didn't think a judgement was necessary. He asked how long and I told him what their web site said. I called a friend of mine who ordered from Scannermaster and he included the DMR upgrade. He said it took 13 days, for whatever reason.

If it bothers anyone, there are other sources.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:01 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

There's a market for it, I don't blame them one bit

Sent from my iPhone 8 using Tapatalk Pro
Jason WX4JCW
XPR7550 - SDS100
Old 09-13-2018, 10:15 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thanks to all who replied!

I actually had not done my full research before ordering. Certainly makes more sense to go with the upgrade from Uniden. It's all a quick process, correct? I don't have to physically send the scanner back to Uniden?

I wonder if I contact Scanner Master and tell them to drop the upgrades if that can be done.

Thank you!

Edit: I just emailed support asking them if I could have the two upgrades dropped from the order to ship sooner. If they approve I'll just get the upgrades from Uniden and get my scanner sooner. Given that I've lived without DMR and NXDN on my existing scanners - I'm not pressed about having it ready to go out of the box.

Last edited by KennyWeather; 09-13-2018 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: Edit to add update
Old 09-13-2018, 10:47 AM

Good decision.

Once you get the radio, register it, pay online for the upgrades, get your code and enter it to the radio, it should take about 10 minutes to complete the process and you saved money.

Anyone who will be operating a SDS100 to program it, update the database and firmware, will find upgrading for the extra modes to be incredibly easy and cheaper than having someone else do it.

If you get confused doing these easy upgrades yourself, you have definitely purchased the wrong radio.

Mark
SDS100/536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others
Old 09-13-2018, 10:57 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmith View Post
Good decision.

Once you get the radio, register it, pay online for the upgrades, get your code and enter it to the radio, it should take about 10 minutes to complete the process and you saved money.

Anyone who will be operating a SDS100 to program it, update the database and firmware, will find upgrading for the extra modes to be incredibly easy and cheaper than having someone else do it.

If you get confused doing these easy upgrades yourself, you have definitely purchased the wrong radio.

Mark
Yeah - sounds like it was a quick oversight on my part. I have a PSR-500, HomePatrol-1, 436HP, 536HP, and a 396XT for various uses. It sounds like the upgrade will be a breeze as long as ScannerMaster lets me edit the order and refunds me for the canceled portion. They're still getting a scanner sale out of it - so hopefully it won't be an issue.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:13 AM

That's where I got my sds100.

Mark
Old 09-13-2018, 11:17 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

It will be interesting to see if they will allow you to cancel the upgrades. Hope they do for you! Keep us posted.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:02 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth21w View Post
It will be interesting to see if they will allow you to cancel the upgrades. Hope they do for you! Keep us posted.
Shortly after I sent their support team an email I got a call asking me to confirm that's what I wanted to do. I'm at work so I emailed them back again confirming. Just waiting on the final confirmation but it sounds like since they had not pulled a radio for me yet and had not started the upgrade process they are able to drop those options from the order and are sending it out ASAP!

Still likely will not get it until next week (I'm 2 days away from their location via UPS Ground). But that still beats 10-15 days!

Edited: And they did it! Shipping the radio today! Maybe I'll get lucky and UPS will hurry it down I-95

Last edited by KennyWeather; 09-13-2018 at 12:03 PM.. Reason: More info added
Old 09-13-2018, 2:52 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

We will help you once you get the radio

Sent from my iPhone 8 using Tapatalk Pro
Jason WX4JCW
XPR7550 - SDS100
Old 09-13-2018, 3:06 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Yeah if you have any questions about upgrading we will help you! Congrats on your radio being shipped!
Old 09-13-2018, 4:01 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thanks to all! If it's as easy as indicated I should be off to the races. The main time consuming part will be the customization. In my area, I don't like how the talkgroups on my local systems are labeled in the master database - so I always end up editing.

Do the masses here prefer Sentinel or ARC536? I have ARC536 PRO already but I've used both off and on. I know I loved the ARC products for my PSR-500.
Old 09-13-2018, 7:02 PM
Sheriff
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyWeather View Post
Thanks to all! If it's as easy as indicated I should be off to the races. The main time consuming part will be the customization. In my area, I don't like how the talkgroups on my local systems are labeled in the master database - so I always end up editing.

Do the masses here prefer Sentinel or ARC536? I have ARC536 PRO already but I've used both off and on. I know I loved the ARC products for my PSR-500.

You need Sentinel to update the database and firmware. You can also use it to create and edit Favorites Lists.

ARC536 will allow you to create and edit Favorites Lists and the Pro version will allow you to do virtual control, logging and recording to the computer. It also supplies the same user interface as other ARC products that you are already familiar with.

I too use both depending on mood and what I am doing.

Facts are facts but my opinions are my own and may not reflect those of whom I work for.