396XT on VHF & UHF Airband

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnGingras

Premium Subscriber
Anybody out there listen to the air band and if so how does it compare to other hand held Unidens.

Thanks, John

tampatracker

I find the performance much improved. I have the 246 and 250D and the sensitivity on the 396XT is greater that these two. I live about 7 miles from Tampa International. and can hear ground control where before on the 250 I couldn't. I also live about 5 miles from a major AFB and their comm's come in crystal clear. I'm very satisfied.

hfxChris

Database Admin
Not bad, but seeing as it's my only Uniden I can't really compare it... however I can say I think I still prefer my Pro-97 for aero/milair.

SCPD

QRT
Reviving this older thread.

Can others respond to their VHF-AIR performance? My 396XT is absolutely terrible! It's shocking that's it's so bad. I am using the latest firmware. I've also tried with AGC on and off.

Test scenario:

Hook up my R/S Discone antenna to Icom A6 transceiver. Punch in BFI ATIS at 127.75 mhz. It comes in loud and clear. (This airport is less than 10 miles from me and I'm located on top of a hill.)

I hook up my 396XT and it won't even break squelch setting of 3. If I go to squelch setting 0 then it's barely audible. It sounds almost as if I'm getting some kind of overload or interference in the XT.

UPDATE: After tinkering with various antennas and setups, I've discovered that I'm getting extremely bad overload on VHF-AIR (AM mode.) I *must* use the ATT when listening to a channel. Now, the interesting thing is that when scanning this conventional group, the scanner seems to be fine.

Is this normal for others? I don't remember having this problem on the 396T...

DCMon

I like my 396XT

I listen to both the VHF and UHF Aero band on my 396XT among other things and it works just fine. I have noticed a slight improvement over my 396T. I use Watson SuperGainer hand-held antennas, unable to have an exterior antenna. I can hear airliners that are at least 150 miles away on VHF. I can hear several VHF ATC channels. The farthest away are about 60 miles away in opposite directions. I also get nearby ATC Uhf channels and Military planes from long distances. I cannot imagine how well I would do with a roof top antenna. Other than the usual bouts of occasional interference we all get on all scanners I can definitely recommend a 396XT.
Uniden is finally making radios that are great fun to use. I have set on local air channel to make the screen flash yellow and beep when it talks. Makes it very easy to know when a favorite channel comes on. I have thought of making local fire channels flash red and law enforcement flash blue. Just a thought! Scanner Master is the cheapest right now and has free shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.