Not receiving on 396Xt...again

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInMichigan

I'm starting to get flustered. $500 scanner and does not receive ( not saying it's the scanners fault, just frusterated ). The last time, I had inadvertantly hit the ID SCAN. Because I had only control channels installed, there were no ID's to SCAN. I learned to use ID SEARCH. That solved my problem, back then....

A little history:
I couldn't get Freescan to hook up with my radio. I read to change the c-ch output to off, and then Freescan worked. Using a file from a member here, I was able to tweak it a little and ad a bunch of ID's and alpha tag them. Freescan worked perfectly for me, on numerous occasions.

Now to my problem.
I have not heard anything all day on the scanner. I made sure I was " ID SEARCH ". I thought, ok, something, some how, got messed up. So Off I go to start up Freescan and re-upload my saved file to the scanner. Now, for some reason, Freescan will not connect to my scanner. I get " CANNOT ESTABLISH "... Bad data or incompatible ... -1

Well dang, not this again. I check my settings>c-ch output, it is set to off. I double check my com port and speed, both are correct. I pull the cable from my com port 9 and place it in com 8. I refresh freescan's port utility, and it switches and see's port 8. I try again, won't work. Switch it back to com 9. Freescan see's this change ( com 8 is now gone from the list and 9 is back ). So I know it SEE'S the scanner on the port, it just wont connect.

So here I sit. Frustrated. Can not hear anything on the scanner. It's not stopping on anything ( before when I had this problem, I got the old analog channels at least ) I double checked my squelch level ( set at 2 ). Signal strenth is 4-5 bars. It doesnt look like I have anything locked out or turned of. Next to " SO ", I have a 1 and 2. Both blink back and forth. If I push the "1" key, the "1" by SO: turns to a star. So I am assuming that turns off that system. All the numbers next to the "Group:" are showing, no stars there either.

Any idea's?

PS: Want to mention that I normally leave the scanner on 24/7. I thought maybe it needed a re-boot so to speak, so I turned it off, and back on again. I did this a couple times, no luck.

Last edited:

JimInMichigan

I'm hoping it's just a matter of a button I have pushed thats not letting this radio operate.

A photo of my screen. Maybe you see something that can help. I took it while it was scanning. The signal strenth was low in photo, but thats only because of where I had the radio at that time.
scanner1.JPG

JimInMichigan

When you press HOLD, do you see the SysID and talkgroup activity?

I'm not sure how the GRP's were setup in my P25 channels. But looking at this photo, When it stops on hold, I see the system number, but no GRP. Maybe the groups were turned off by accident ( My Grandchildren were here while I was in the garage working on a project, so who knows )?
scanner2.JPG

My Conventional channels:
scanner3.JPG

A quick video of my scanner screen ( .AVI, 1.2 megs )
http://www.jim-ross.com/scannervid.AVI

JimInMichigan

On Edit:

I just looked, and by using the HOLD>Scroll button, I can see ( if this helps any )

System 1
Groups:
#1 County/Local Police
#2 Fire/Ambulance
#7 State Police
#8 DNR

Last edited:

kb8rvp

I'm in Fenton Michigan in Genesee County and looking at your display it almost looks like you are not receiving the data channel. I looking at RR database the data channel for your area is Harrison 868.9375 and the alternate is 868.4375 and another for Phelps 868.9625 and the alternate 868.4625.
If you are in a weak area at home you may need to move the scanner around the house until you get the strongest signal. Also if you have a cell phone tower in the area of your home you will also have problems because the scanner and the cell tower are both on 800MHz and the cell tower will overload the scanner and can cause you to show a signal on the screen but you are not really receiving the data channel but the cell tower. If you have an idea of the location of the tower you are trying to receive on 800MHz signal from, you may want to go for a drive to that area to see it the scanner is works.
I also use a rubber duck antenna designed for 800MHz from Radio Shack because the antenna that comes with the scanner isn't the best.
Also you may want to try changing the P25 adjust level to see if it helps by doing the following:
Turn off the scanner - then hold the "hold button" while powering on the scanner. You should see the different colors flashing on the display. When it is done changing colors let go of the "hold" button.
Then press the menu button on the side - then turn the dial to get to settings - then press down on the dial to select settings.
Then turn the dial until you get to P25 Adjust Level and press down on the dial again to see the setting of 50.
Change this setting by pressing 200 then enter and you are done and you can press scan.
See how this works and if it makes any difference. You can watch the adjust level while scanning by pressing the "func" button on the side then the dial then the "func" and dial again. You will now see the ERR: on the screen. During an 800MHz digital transmission. Your goal is to keep the error rate as close to zero as possible. If you notice no change you can follow the steps above to change it back to 50 by pressing 050.
Another thing I noticed is you are scanning in NFM (narrow FM) but most of the stuff in Michigan is still in FM mode. This won't fix the reception issue but it will sound better if FM once you start picking stuff up again. You can change this and you have to do it manually every time you resend your file from freescan or any other software by doing the following:
Press menu then go to settings then go to Band Defaults and select band defaults.
Select each band one at a time and change the ones you want to FM and press down on the dial to save it and press menu to back out of each one. Try changing at least the 806 and 849MHz but I change most all of them.

If you want to get on the phone and try some things you can email me at kb8rvp@yahoo.com and I will sent you my phone number to see if we can get it working. The main thing to remember with these new digital scanners is location/location/location. I helped another person figure out what was wrong with her Radio Shack Pro-2096 digital scanner. I went to her house and moved the scanner about five inches and all of a sudden it came to life... Just something to thing about when you are in a weak area. Another friend had a cell tower in his back yard and no scanner on the market would work even with the Holly tower 5 miles from his house. The cell tower was just to close and blocked everything out. One last thing is every once in a while the state tech's change the tower freq's and you have to search the 800MHz band to find out what they changed the tower freq to, or it could have changed to the alternate I listed above so make sure you have the control channel and the alternate programmed in. Some towers change back and forth all the time and some get new freq's three or four times a year so you have lots of things to check.
If you want to search do the following:
Press the menu button and turn the dial to "search for" and press the dial down to select.
Press the dial to select "service search" and turn the dial to find "Public Safety" and press the dial to select it and then it will start searching. Turn the dial one click counter clockwise to get into the 800MHz band and it should pick up your local tower real quick if you are close enough to receive it. If it's not the same as what you have then add the new one you find to the freq's for the system you are trying to listen to.

Good Luck
Mike

Thanks,
Mike

JimInMichigan

I'm in Fenton Michigan in Genesee County and looking at your display it almost looks like you are not receiving the data channel. I looking at RR database the data channel for your area is Harrison 868.9375 and the alternate is 868.4375

Look at post #4. 1st photo. It shows 868.9375. The alternate is the very next freq.

If you are in a weak area at home you may need to move the scanner around the house until you get the strongest signal. Also if you have a cell phone tower in the area of your home you will also have problems because the scanner and the cell tower are both on 800MHz and the cell tower will overload the scanner and can cause you to show a signal on the screen but you are not really receiving the data channel but the cell tower. If you have an idea of the location of the tower you are trying to receive on 800MHz signal from, you may want to go for a drive to that area to see it the scanner is works.
I also use a rubber duck antenna designed for 800MHz from Radio Shack because the antenna that comes with the scanner isn't the best.

The problem is, it has been working perfectly. It just suddenly stopped receiving. I am still getting 4 to 5 bars signal. In the photo it shows low bars, but thats of because where I had it setting to take the photo. Great signal, just not stopping on anything.

One last thing is every once in a while the state tech's change the tower freq's and you have to search the 800MHz band to find out what they changed the tower freq to, or it could have changed to the alternate I listed above so make sure you have the control channel and the alternate programmed in. Some towers change back and forth all the time and some get new freq's three or four times a year so you have lots of things to check.

But, I am NOT receiving ANYTHING P25. Are you saying the control channel for the entire state got changed ( I'm not getting Michigan State Police, DNR, Nothing )?

If you want to search do the following:
Press the menu button and turn the dial to "search for" and press the dial down to select.
Press the dial to select "service search" and turn the dial to find "Public Safety" and press the dial to select it and then it will start searching. Turn the dial one click counter clockwise to get into the 800MHz band and it should pick up your local tower real quick if you are close enough to receive it. If it's not the same as what you have then add the new one you find to the freq's for the system you are trying to listen to.

I'll try some search. I'm about to toss this in the pond out back.

Sure wish I could get it to connect to freescan. I have a feeling I ( or my grandchildren ) has hit a key or 2 and turned something off, somehow.

Last edited:

Dewey

Look at post #4. 1st photo. It shows 868.9375. The alternate is the very next freq.

I would tend to agree in the feeling that the control channel has changed to a frequency that you do not have programmed. Some systems will switch control channels every day. If you manually hold your scanner on the active trunked system control channel, you should be able to see the system ID flashing on the topmost line of the display (where the Group Name / Talkgroup name alternate).

If you do not have any talkgroups programmed, you should stop on one of the control channel frequencies anytime you press [HOLD]. If you do have talkgroups programmed, which I am reading that you have done, press [HOLD], then you may have to turn your scroll knob counter clockwise until you start to see frequencies displayed on the second line of the display (that is unless you already see a frequency on the second line of the display). Once you start seeing the frequencies displayed, sit on each frequency for about a minute or two, and if it is the active control channel, you will see the system ID start alternating on the topmost line. If you scroll through every frequency for that system and do not system a system ID after pausing on each frequency for a minute or two, either the control channel has switched to a frequency that you do not have programmed, or you are out of range of the system. Hope this helps. Dewey.

EDIT: Looking over the database for Clare County (which was displayed in one of your pictures), I see two sites, each with two control channels. Therefore, the following four control channels should be in you scanner: 868.4375 & 868.9375 (Site 3-021, Harrison) and 868.4625 & 868.9625 (Site 3-022, Phelps). If you scroll through the frequencies that you have programmed into System Quick Key 1 (you referred to it as S0: 1) and do not see those four frequencies, I have a feeling that your problem might be found.

Last edited:

JimInMichigan

I d/l'ed the newest Freescan. Tried to upload the file I knew was good. Something screwed up and the freescan locked my keys. I couldnt do nothing. I ended up having to do a HOLD+2=9=Power. Now I have nothing, and can not get Freescan to work either.

I give up. I guess I'll reload the factory freq's and sell the damn thing.

This really sucks. I'm really going to miss not listening in on the locals.

Hey UPMan, you guys lost a customer. Next time try making something an idiot like me can program ( or write the friggin manual so it's easier to understand ). [rant off ]

Who wants a 396xt for $450?

kb8rvp

Well did you try the search function I mentioned to find the control channel? If the scanner was scanning fine then it can be made to scan again. When I press hold my scanner it flashes between the freq and the site number (868.925 and SID:0796h-201) and then it shows active talk groups so again it doesn't look like the scanner is on the correct control channel or like you say something got pressed and a setting is off or in the wrong mode... Again if you want to shoot me an email with your number we can get on the phone and troubleshoot the issue.

Mike

kb8rvp

Freescan question: Are you using the USB cable or the standard 9 pin serial cable? When you go into freescan there are some settings you need to check:
First you have to make sure the scanner programming speed under settings/set serial port matches the port speed in the freescan software under scanner/upload programming (shows the com port and speed). If the scanner doesn't match the scanner speed the programming won't work. You can change the speed and com port under scanner/control scanner/com port setup and make sure the speed matches the scanner and you can also try a slower speed by changing the setting in the software and the scanner to see if that fixes your connection issue. Also try different com ports. Mine is set to com3 and 115200 for the speed. If you have yours set to com1 and your PC is using com3 the software won't work. The newest version of freescan has a auto button you can click to see if the software can find the correct port automatically not sure if you have tried this or not? You can also go into the control panel on your PC to see what com port your computer is using when you plug in the cable. I have hundreds of hours in programming between my Radio Shack, GRE and Uniden scanners. If you get frustrated just set the scanner down and walk away and come back later. If it is a matter of the control channel changing on your local tower then Uniden has nothing to do with your problem and it would do the same this to a GRE scanner. I have about 35 people I help program scanners for and when our local tower freq changes to a brand new one my phone starts ringing and I have to search for the new freq and let everyone know what it is and once they add it to the system they listen to and it starts working again. And yes every once in a while a button gets pushed and you have to figure out how to get it working again.

Mike

Last edited:

cpuerror

After you do Hold+2+9, it resets your scanner's serial port settings, so you have to set them back up again before communications work. You also have to check you have Control Channel Extended Output turned off, as this would mess up communications.

I d/l'ed the newest Freescan. Tried to upload the file I knew was good. Something screwed up and the freescan locked my keys. I couldnt do nothing. I ended up having to do a HOLD+2=9=Power. Now I have nothing, and can not get Freescan to work either.

I give up. I guess I'll reload the factory freq's and sell the damn thing.

This really sucks. I'm really going to miss not listening in on the locals.

Hey UPMan, you guys lost a customer. Next time try making something an idiot like me can program ( or write the friggin manual so it's easier to understand ). [rant off ]

Who wants a 396xt for $450?

JimInMichigan

Well did you try the search function I mentioned to find the control channel? If the scanner was scanning fine then it can be made to scan again. When I press hold my scanner it flashes between the freq and the site number (868.925 and SID:0796h-201) and then it shows active talk groups so again it doesn't look like the scanner is on the correct control channel or like you say something got pressed and a setting is off or in the wrong mode... Again if you want to shoot me an email with your number we can get on the phone and troubleshoot the issue.

Mike

No I haven't. I was frustrated ( could ya tell? ) on my last post. I will try some searching later, to see if the control channels changed.

I was using a cheap ebay serial-usb converter cable. I read another post here, someone else had a cheapy, and it stopped working shortly afterwards. I ordered a Uniden USB-1 cable. Foudn it on the net for $28 shipped. To heck with trying to save $20, it isnt worth the frustration. LOL

Yes, I knew to double check what com port I was on. I know how to check the properties on the computer. I also made sure I had the same com speed set on both freescan and scanner. I even tried lower speeds ( setting both software and scanner ). Also tried different ports and speed settings, no luck. Funny thing is, Freescan " see's " which port the scanner is plugged into. It just cant communicate.

Last edited:

JimInMichigan

After you do Hold+2+9, it resets your scanner's serial port settings, so you have to set them back up again before communications work. You also have to check you have Control Channel Extended Output turned off, as this would mess up communications.

Yes, I re-set the CH to off under settings. Double checked com port and com speed settings as well.

I am suspecting the cheap serial-usb cable is stopping freescan from working.

rocksteady

I will be in Standish on the 7th of oct. I can bring a usb ti serial connector that you can keep for free. If you can wait a few days.. If so pm me and I'll give you my phone number and we can meet. My wife and mother-in-law will be with me so we can meet up quickly. I have to go to bay county isd to tour before we move into our new house.

Rocky

JimInMichigan

I will be in Standish on the 7th of oct. I can bring a usb ti serial connector that you can keep for free. If you can wait a few days.. If so pm me and I'll give you my phone number and we can meet. My wife and mother-in-law will be with me so we can meet up quickly. I have to go to bay county isd to tour before we move into our new house.

Rocky

Thank You for your generous offer, As I stated above, I just ordered ( this morning ) the Uniden USB-1 cable. $28 including priority mail shipping. I should have it here in a few days ( I hope ).

JimInMichigan

Well did you try the search function I mentioned to find the control channel? If the scanner was scanning fine then it can be made to scan again.
Mike

Just finished your suggestion. I came up with a dozen channels that stopped, with static on them. Included was the old control channels. I have 6 of them ( ones that showed at least 1 strenth bar ) entered into the scanner and I have it set to " ID SEARCH ".

We shall see.

I also found a member here that lives in the same town as I. I sent him a PM, asking if the control channels changed.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
For St. Clair County, Michigan:

868.63750 MHz Primary Control Channel (should be all you need)
868.45000 MHz Alternate Control Channel (used if primary is down)

I ran into problems using FreeSCAN. I'm now using Butel's ARC-XT.

JimInMichigan

Just finished your suggestion. I came up with a dozen channels that stopped, with static on them. Included was the old control channels. I have 6 of them ( ones that showed at least 1 strenth bar ) entered into the scanner and I have it set to " ID SEARCH ".

We shall see.

Ran ID Search all night and day today. Not a peep from anything.

I guess all I can do is wait for the cable, then if nothing, I dont know what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.