BC-RH96 to BCD996XT/BCD396XT Data Cable Pinout/Colors

Status
Not open for further replies.

aliby19

Feed Provider
Hi all,

I have a BC-RH96 and the data cable that connects from the scanner to the remote head has come apart on the scanner end. The cable came completely out of the flat plug that plugs in to the scanner.

I would like to solder this back together. Does anyone know what color wires inside the BC-RH96's data cable go to what pins on the flat plug?

I found this pinout for the 396XT on pinouts.ru: Uniden BC246T/BR330T/BCD396T/BC346XT/BCD396XT/BCT15/BCD996T scanners interface cable pinout and wiring @ pinouts.ru, but it doesn't help tell me which color wire goes to what pin on the flat plug.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

pduffy211

I don't know the colors but you should be able to quickly ohm out the pins on the still connected end. Could even use a test light and a battery.

aliby19

Feed Provider
I had two Uniden programming cables, so I took one apart. Turns out the color scheme is as follows:

Pin 1 - Red
Pin 2 - White
Pin 3 - Green
Pin 4 - Black

I am not responsible if you use my information to fix your cable and it blows up your scanner, computer, etc. ;)

billybob

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone used the rs232 at the back of the BCD 996xt to the RH96? I have been searching for a cable and have not found one yet..

KC2PXV

The pins in the cable running from my RH96 to the front port of my BCT15 appear to have stopped working.. the plug barely fits in anymore.

Any suggestions??

Is the cable itself (that comes with the rh96) sold by itself anywhere?

billybob

Premium Subscriber
I did not like the idea of the push in connector on the front of my 996XT. I used my ICOM radio program cable with a female RS232 at one end and a 2.5 MM stereo plug at the other end and adapted the 2.5MM to the RH96’s 3.5MM stereo plug. I plugged it in and turned on the 996XT and the RH96. I was able to run my RH96 and still program the radio from the front port at the same time. So I cut off the tiny puny Uniden front plug and put on a female RS232. So if you’re interested, and I’m not responsible for you blow your radio up, the pin locations are as follows. Looking at the ICOM’s female RS232 cable and with the five pins on top and the four pins on the bottom, I used a continuity tester and noted the first pin on the top left is the bottom ring on 3.5MM stereo plug. The third pin on the top row from the left is the tip of the 3.5MM stereo plug. And last the fourth pin on the top row from the left is the center ring on the 3.5 MM stereo plug. I cut off the puny wobbly plug and tested the continuity of the four wires. The bottom ring was the black wire. I soldered that wire to the first pin a described above with the location from the ICOM plug. The center ring was the green wire. I soldered that to the fore mentioned fourth plug. The tip was the red wire. And that was soldered to the third pin. I turned on the radio and the RH96 and it works like a champ.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.