BCD396XT losing reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Looks like some people have this same issue but here goes anyways...
freescan used to import all frequencies... used quickkeys and set all ctcss to search as that is all thats used within our county... worked great for 2 months with RS discone ant. rubber duckie always sucked... had just about full signal strength for all i was scanning with ATT on... now with ATT on or off recption is poor and only 1 signal strength bar.. thought it was antenna so i connected my rs pro 197 and signal is fine so im wondering if this is a problem with the 396xt or if maybe its interference from the several pager frequencies within 800 ft of my house.... also am across the street from local volunteer fire co and about 1/4 mile from the main fire and ems paging tower for out area... So i guess my question being new to Uniden SCANNERS is will intermodulation stop or reduce the signlas that have always been full strength even with the anntenuator on or off... also new cell tower just was built here about 1/2 mile from home and isnt activated but some testing is going on... is there any possibilities the cell tower or pager frequencies would fry the front end of scanner or would it be something else... i always have it OFF during storms and what not.... or do you think its just to sensitive of a scanner for this area and adding an external antennuator will cure the issue...

please any suggestions on what can help save a 480.00 scanner from this happening again would be much appreciated... thanks in advance

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I don't think these transmissions would damage your scanner. Cellular and paging transmissions can however block other weaker signals from getting to your scanner. Try listening from another location several miles from home and see if the scanner is still effected. I once lived near a cell tower and all reception was affected, and trunked monitoring was virtually impossible. Also FCC required narrow banding and reduced power requirements are beginning to affect reception in some areas of the country.

Last edited:

RichardKramer

Premium Subscriber
XT losing reception

I have had both my 396T's sent back for repairs to replace Q102. I noticed that my reception dropped and that putting the ATT on or off made no difference on the signal. Uniden told me to keep the scanners away from any close proximity transmitters. I did use my 6mtr (50 watt out) mobile tx just before I noticed the drop in reception. I have since moved the scanner antenna, which was within a foot of the 6mtr antenna, from the trunk to the roof and have not had any problems since. I've used my RS and AOR 8000 scanners with the antenna by the 6mtr antenna for years while transmitting with no problem to them. I guess there must be better protection of the circuits in those scanners than in the 396T/XT models.

SCPD

QRT
I don't think these transmissions would damage your scanner. Cellular and paging transmissions can however block other weaker signals from getting to your scanner. Try listening from another location several miles from home and see if the scanner is still effected. I once lived near a cell tower and all reception was affected, and trunked monitoring was virtually impossible. Also FCC required narrow banding and reduced power requirements are beginning to affect reception in some areas of the country.

dont work anywhere and im in the mountains of upstate NY... went to a new location at my dads house and its atleast 10 miles from anywhere and nothing with his diamond... but my pro197 recieves fine so contacted uniden.... anyone know a timeframe for repairs when they recieve it?

SCPD

QRT
I have had both my 396T's sent back for repairs to replace Q102. I noticed that my reception dropped and that putting the ATT on or off made no difference on the signal. Uniden told me to keep the scanners away from any close proximity transmitters. I did use my 6mtr (50 watt out) mobile tx just before I noticed the drop in reception. I have since moved the scanner antenna, which was within a foot of the 6mtr antenna, from the trunk to the roof and have not had any problems since. I've used my RS and AOR 8000 scanners with the antenna by the 6mtr antenna for years while transmitting with no problem to them. I guess there must be better protection of the circuits in those scanners than in the 396T/XT models.

thanks... checked q106 and its a leaky transister... thanks

RichardKramer

Premium Subscriber
XT losing reception

Uniden charges a flat rate of $49.50 + $10 return shipping. It took about 3-4 wks from the day I sent mine back. Go to Uniden's website and click on Support, product repair, send item for repair; fill out the form and print 2 copies; one for yourself and one to put in the box to go to Uniden and send it out.

SCPD

QRT
Uniden charges a flat rate of $49.50 + $10 return shipping. It took about 3-4 wks from the day I sent mine back. Go to Uniden's website and click on Support, product repair, send item for repair; fill out the form and print 2 copies; one for yourself and one to put in the box to go to Uniden and send it out.

ok thanks in mail tomorrow... i have reciept from april where i bought it from scannermaster.com but i took it apart to check it and now voided that out...lol still well worth 60.00 to have fixed

SCPD

QRT
unidens product repair is still stating there is an invalid site certificate with chrome firefox and ie9 same on ie 8 on another computer... no other way to contact uniden i guess so because thier page is down for 3 weeks i can not get an sro # to send in for repair and i dont see anywhere to call uniden on thier page.... anyway to ship to them direct

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
This will typically occur if your PC's date/time is not correct (the error is not on our site).

I know this from recent experience diagnosing this on my Mom's PC.

SCPD

QRT
library is same way.. but will try synchronizing with microsoft time server thanks for the info..

SCPD

QRT
This will typically occur if your PC's date/time is not correct (the error is not on our site).

I know this from recent experience diagnosing this on my Mom's PC.

ty UPMAN just finally got it to go through resynchronized ytime server 4 time to realise i had to switch to CST and set my clock back 1 hour cause im EST and its the 1 hour time difference that sets the invalid certificate... so if anyone else hase a problem with invalid certificate on repair page when going through process change your PC/MAC time to CST time zone and synchronise with the time servers it will work that way

Status
Not open for further replies.