HP1 Squelch Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I may have mentioned this before, so bear with me, but I appear to have a problem with one of my HP1s and its squelch settings.

On conventional channels, on 95% (or more) of transmissions, the squelch closes properly, i.e. when a frequency stops transmitting. On a rare occasion it will lock open as if squelch was set to zero, for about 1 to 2 seconds, at the tail of a transmission.

On all trunk channels/talkgroups, whenever the carrier drops, there is half-a-second to 2 seconds of static, again, as if squelch was locked open.

It may be coincidence that the trunk channels have this squelch issue more often than conventional - most of my conventional channels are non-800 MHz and all of the trunks I monitor locally are currently 800 MHz. So maybe it's the 800 MHz band that's having squelch issues.

Yes, I have tried with various different settings of the "Squelch" option on the display, from all the way left (zero) to all the way right (maximum). Nothing has an effect.

I'm curious to know from either UPMan or someone who has opened the radio if there are hardware squelch pots/settings that can be tweaked. If there is, or some other way for techs to tune/adjust the radio settings, I'd entertain the idea of sending it back to Fort Worth for some TLC.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Update: Tried it with some VHF trunks while on vacation and the squelch problem is very evident here.

To recap: Squelch doesn't close properly after a transmission, much more evident on trunking transmissions than on conventional. Suspect an internal squelch adjustment is set too tight. Can anyone confirm if there is an internal squelch pot that can be adjusted? I can't really be without the radio for the 8+ weeks it takes Fort Worth to look at it.

jkahn

Very good looking Member
Premium Subscriber
Maybe Paul will read this and offer a suggestion:

With Montgomery County MD rebanding yesterday, my HP-1 is exhibiting the same problems (I think) as talking about here.

Back in February, when they started the project and gave up because of tower frequency filter problems, I was getting a "hung repeater" type of problem, where the repeater (or talkgroup) stayed active for 15-20-seconds after transmission finished, before dropping the TG and resuming scanning. If anotherTG became active during this period, it came through on the open TG. (for example: Fire TG 1616 stayed active, and a police, or central cell block TG transmission came through, sometimes more than one TG after another).

A county radio tech and I figured out that the other scanners (396T and 996T) did not have this problem, because I had "Motorola End Code" and "Digital End Code" turned on, on those scanners, so they resumed scanning as soon as the end code was received.

The HP-1 does not have the ability to select end codes on or off, and obviously has them "off" which is causing the problem.

Upman- Can this be fixed in a future firmware upgrade?? (add the ability to select/deselect end codes?)

JK

Status
Not open for further replies.