need opinions on possible BCD396XT repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffemt613

Hello everyone,

I just purchased 396XT off of an online auction site. I havent received it yet, but looking at the pictures the people of the auction site took of it,it almost looks like it might have a possible broken antenna post.

All the pictures I've seen of other 396XTs on the internet, shows full metal around where the antenna goes, but the one I bought looks like it doesnt have all the metal on it. Ive attached the photo they have of it that shows my suspicions, but just would like everyone's opinion.

Attachments

• bcd396xt.jpg
    bcd396xt.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,455

mibzzer15

Yeah that's supposed to be an SMA connector. Looks like only the bottom half of the threads are left. I am sure you can find a replacement part @ radioshack or online.

ffemt613

Yeah that's supposed to be an SMA connector. Looks like only the bottom half of the threads are left. I am sure you can find a replacement part @ radioshack or online.

would that be something that is easily replaced? or something i should send out for repair?

kruser

Premium Subscriber
You will not find that part at RadioShack period.

It is likely a custom designed connector to fit that model.
As far as replacement goes, you must be very skilled in electronics repair for this one.
It also requires good soldering skills using the correct tools.

I'm not sure if Uniden will sell the part but if so and you are skilled at repairs such as this, it should not be very expensive.
If you don't feel confident in doing it, I'd sent it in to Uniden for the repair.
As long as nothing else is wrong with the radio, it's worth the repair cost letting Uniden do it for a $500 dollar radio.

cdknapp

Premium Subscriber
I just took a look ay my 396XT antenna port, and you maybe, just maybe, have enough thread left to screw the female (antenna) onto it. It's a real close call, and you won't know for sure until you get it in your hands and try. Good luck!

ffemt613

thanks guys, once i get it ill try the antenna and see how it goes. I will probably be back for more advice. Ill keep you guys posted

kruser

Premium Subscriber
You may also have just enough thread left to screw an SMA to BNC adapter onto the stub. It all depends on how well the antenna or adapter is machined as it does not appear that you have much thread to work with.
Hopefully it did not rip anything away from the rf board when the connector broke. If it did, you will have poor or no reception.
It should be repairable though as it is more of a mechanical part than anything else.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I plan on opening it up and taking a peek to check the connections to the board inside

Go slow when you open it and peek inside with a light. I may be thinking about the PSR800 but one of my portables had some pretty short ribbon or small wires in it that could be easily ripped apart or off a board or the speaker if not careful during the case separation stage!
I think it is the 396 that does have some pretty sensitive (as in easily damaged) speaker wires.

If I have some time tonight, I may open my 396 and see how hard of a job it may be and also try and determine if the connector is proprietary in design or not.
I'll post a pic or two if I open it.

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
That happened to me several years ago. My 396T was damaged in a car accident. The SMA connector was sheared off about half way down. The antenna would not stay on. I sent it to Uniden repair, and paid $49.95 flat fee, plus shipping. It came back good as new, after about three weeks.
It was easy enough, and I didn't have to worry about doing further damage. Just something to consider.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

kruser

Premium Subscriber
That happened to me several years ago. My 396T was damaged in a car accident. The SMA connector was sheared off about half way down. The antenna would not stay on. I sent it to Uniden repair, and paid $49.95 flat fee, plus shipping. It came back good as new, after about three weeks.
It was easy enough, and I didn't have to worry about doing further damage. Just something to consider.

That's what I was thinking for the OP.
If Uniden will fix it for the flat rate fee, I think it would be worth it considering how much the scanner costs to replace.
Of course I don't know how much he gave for it on eBay.

If it is not a hard job and the connector is a standard chassis mount connector, it could be done in house for under $10 bucks.

I guess it all depends on the OPs skill levels when it comes to this type of thing.

ffemt613

That's what I was thinking for the OP.
If Uniden will fix it for the flat rate fee, I think it would be worth it considering how much the scanner costs to replace.
Of course I don't know how much he gave for it on eBay.

If it is not a hard job and the connector is a standard chassis mount connector, it could be done in house for under $10 bucks.

I guess it all depends on the OPs skill levels when it comes to this type of thing.

very little electrical type skills. Im probably gonna send it in, but see if my antenna will work with whats left on it

Status
Not open for further replies.