New BCT15X, help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

LT1

Premium Subscriber
I have the new bct15x and want to listen to my local trunked systems that have been rebanded. I purchased the usb cable, downloaded freescan, also have Marks easier to read manual. Now where to start? I just have 6 control freq,s, and 3 talkgroup ID's that I want to use on this scanner.....Now I need a way to convey that to the BCT15X?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You have a number of things you need to do, and while it's a little daunting the first time around, after a while it becomes a bit more automatic.

Much of what I'm about to describe can be found linked here...

Program your DMA Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

Your first task is to get the scanner and PC talking to one another. To do that you need to load the drivers for the cable, and make sure that the COM port it allocates is actually available. That can be determined in Windows Device Manager. The Connecting scanners via USB article describes this.

Make sure that you have allocated the front/back ports and set them up in the scanner. There's an article in the user guide called 'Making the Connection' which summarizes how to do this for each of the DMA scanners

The next thing to do is to validate the connection between the PC and scanner. Just let the scanner scan whatever it wants, and see if you can see that in the various Virtual Control screens in FreeScan. They're described in detail in the user manual.

Next is to set up the trunk system and talkgroups. While you have the data in FreeScan, there's another step you need to do - allocate quick keys. These act a little like bank switches - they tell the scanner what to scan. Keep in mind that all trunking on the XT series scanners is set at the site level, not the system. So you should have at least one site with the trunk freqs you want to use. Allocate a quick key by using the pulldown on the Site Setup form.

Next allocate a quick key for your group that has the talkgroups by using the pulldown on the Group and Channel Options form. FreeScan usually leaves all the groups checked 'on' the Trunked System Setup form - I find it a little wasteful since it allocates a GQK for non existent groups, but some find it easier since it's a detail you don't need to think about.

You can check your site setup by going to Tools/System Quick Key Manager. Take a look in the user guide about this. Make sure that the site quick key you selected has a check in there as well.

One thing to keep in mind - and this catches everyone - is that you must make sure you turn off the Beartracker function, which scans all the states that are in the 15x's memory. It's wasteful, frankly, because so much has changed. You can do that by making sure that the 'STATE' pulldown on the Site Setup form is set to "NONE'

You're ready to upload. When you select the upload form, the first time around be sure to use the ERASE function (it's in red) - if you find you want to fix your setup for some reason, use REPLACE. You will notice that it appears to do 2x the actions you might have selected - this is because each action FS takes is counted - the first action deletes your previous data, the 2nd adds it. This is normal. Again, this is detailed in the user guide.

I would take some time and read the Easier to Read manual, and become familiar with the FreeScan user guide. Between the 2, you should be able to figure out most everything you will want to get started with.

It seems like a lot, but once you get past the first time, it gets a lot easier

HTH...Mike

N7DRT

Premium Subscriber
Can someone tell me if the USB cable for the GRE 410 will also work with the Uniden BCT15X?

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
LT1,

I have posted a video in the wiki here on how to program this exact system using Freescan. Also you can check the software data files at the website in my signature for a ready made file for you to use.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
LT1,

I have posted a video in the wiki here on how to program this exact system using Freescan. Also you can check the software data files at the website in my signature for a ready made file for you to use.

I tried to PM him with the same, Mark. Between the 2 of us, we should be able to point him in that direction...Mike

LT1

Premium Subscriber
Thank you

Thank you ka3jjz & junior08, without your help this unit would have been in the outgoing tide or on it's way back to Amazon. Freescan and Radioreference are the only way to get these scanners up and running these days!

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
Definitely takes time, patience, and more patience! Once you "get it" and understand how these newer high end scanners work it's not too difficult. Did I mention you need patience?

Status
Not open for further replies.