Uniden BC396 Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

TripleBs

Hello all I am new to this Forums stuff, here is my problem I just purchased this Scanner and I had Radio Shack Program it for me, what it is doing it will scan for a second then it will find a radio station, pop into a different mode then when I push Lock out it goes back to scanner, I am having a hard time trying to figure out where the squelch feature is, because there is a ton of times where it will will just keep on searching and not finding anything. Please advise.

Thank You

Last edited by a moderator:

JamesO

First off, Radio Shack staff has no clue on how to operate or program any scanner UNLESS you find an employee that is Scanner Enthusiast.

Likely you may have the Close Call Feature or a Scan and Search feature enabled?

See if there is a funny C or C with a circle around it on the display in the lower right corner, if so you have some form of Close Call Enabled.

For

Suggest you read through this link - Easier to Read BCD396XT Digital Scanner Manual

And purchase ARC XT software - ARC XT software for Uniden BCD396XT BC346XT BCD996XT BCT15XT models scanner free demo

Also read the online manual about Close Call the Scan and Service or Custom Search.

SCPD

QRT
Close Call is great to have.
If you want to use it in FreeScan
On top click on Scanner and the Set up Scanner
go to second Tap called Close Call and under Mode enable On- Do Not (Disturb) (This way it will not interrupt regular Scanning)
Then make sure all the Bands have been selected.
Go to the Searching Tap and at least Select pager and Broadcast. This will make the Scanner ignore pagers and Radio Station.
Click OK and then re-upload it to the Scanner.

Make sure you download the Scanner info first into FreeScann and save it first

TripleBs

Can anybody tell me what the NFM means I have had my scanner on for a while and its not picking up anytihng? Accept every once in a while the Close call deal comes on with a radio station I have been pushing the LO button and it goes back I know there is something I am nto doing to make this work

TripleBs

Also I have no idea how to change the Squelch I thought you just press the top of the scanner, when i do it once I get the volume and when i press it again nothign happens?

JamesO

Also I have no idea how to change the Squelch I thought you just press the top of the scanner, when i do it once I get the volume and when i press it again nothign happens?

Time to take some time and play with the scanner.

I understand it is complicated, it takes some time getting used to how if functions. Even the Easier To Read Guide is not really good enough at times for me.

To answer your SPECIFIC question regarding the squelch, you have to press the Function button, on the top left if the radio, then push the Volume knob down, this will bring up the squelch control then it can be adjusted.

I usually keep my radio on squelch setting 2.

Take a picture of your scanner display and post it.

You probably have Close Call or a Band Search enabled.

If you are tying to program the scanner by hand, well I would not recommend this. You may have forgetting to program frequencies, talk groups or you may even be trying to program a system outside your range of reception?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I've moved this thread back to the Uniden forum, put the proper scanner model into the title and deleted the picture of the Radio Shack scanner and all the other posts which resulted from the confusion.

Hopefully everybody is on the same page now.

TripleBs

Help with BCD396XT

Here is the picture of the front of my Scanner I see the (C) is on there and the signal strength still blinks and I am not getting anything coming out it still just scans.

Attachments

• Scannerpic.jpg
    Scannerpic.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 476

TripleBs

Okay lets up another question out there for everybody My office is in my basement, there is a antenna that I think I need to get out of my basement I have been told its a Yaggi Antenna? Can somebody give me some ideas on this Antenna. Thanks

SCPD

QRT
Please answer some of the previews question and also you may want to start a new Thread in the antenna Forum.
Everyone Here started on the Bottom one Time or other.
I know as a new user we have 1 million question.
Some of us Stared with Christal .............or whatever there where called, I did not.
I stared with to me complex Scanner pro 95 and learned from there.
Bought several since then and learned by asking humbled question and giving back.
To you and anybody else...................................
At one Point we are in the Start, Middle and what we think expert to get tossed down to the beginning.
Being on this Site I learn everyday.
OH I did not know This ?
Oh It works this way ?
Wow I did not know this I can use it this Way.
This Site everyone comes together to help to flame or to point things out.
IN THE END WE ALL LEARN FROM EACH OTHER

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.