Bearcat 210xl

Status
Not open for further replies.

slingndrt

Found my dad's old scanner, plugged it in and it still works. My question is, can I still use this scanner to listen to local frequencies? From the web I found some frequencies but they are longer than 6 digits.

rpowley

The frequency should be rounded by the scanner - If you enter 471.1375 the scanner will read 471.137 according to the manual.

KC4ZEX

The 210xl was a pretty good scanner for its time. It will still work with any standard analog system low High or uhf . Was new about 1990 or 91. The new narrow channels you just round off and some of the older gov. channels. I live about 30 miles from FT Knox the MP's use 165.0875 you just punch in 085 or 090 they come in just as clear. If you are in an area where several freq's close to each other are used you may get a little bleed over.

glass_joe099

I have the same scanner. I just pulled it out of my closet at my parent's and dusted it off. I had all the frequencies I liked on an index card taped to the top of it. Right now I'm getting some reception but most of the County PD frequencies are silent. Is it possible that they have changed the frequencies they broadcast along? Or perhaps I'm having a problem with the antenna? I'm getting some chatter from local village PD's but not a whole lot. Being Labor Day Weekend I expected to hear a lot of chatter.

glass_joe099

Next question, is there a way to test the unit to see if the antenna is receiving properly? Without installing an external antenna that is. I should be getting a lot more chatter than I am. I'm wondering if it is just old or perhaps the antenna has a loose connection inside. I've been picking up chatter sporadically on a few more frequencies but not nearly enough. I hooked it up outside to see if my apartment was causing interference somehow but nothing changed. A lot of the time I get the tail end of a transmission even when I am not scanning channels, I'll pick one and monitor it and I don't get the entire conversation.

CrabbyMilton

I have nothing to add that wasn't said already. However that was my very first scanner in 1980. Indeed a great unit in it's day but it is very limited today.

glass_joe099

Thank you CT, that is the answer I was looking for. I did see a frequency for county police that began 800 and figured that was the case. I just saw it on the database page.

Rvictor, thanks for that link, I had found that page in the database section a while back, actually it is what led me to the site and made me register. Most of the frequencies in the Towns on that list are town police which didn't interest me. I have them already but they are far to the east of me so reception is always slim to basically none. As CT pointed out I can't get what I want on w/ my Bearcat.

CT what kind of scanner do I need to hear in on those frequencies or is it something I can't find which is why they went to that system?

zzdiesel

I was using an old 210 here about a year ago. It still gets about everything here, but there are too many stations sharing too many frequencies without having tone squelch. I hope I never have to go back to that.

glass_joe099

*Bump*

Will this thing still be worth using to listen in on local Suffolk County, NY volunteer FD's? I'm thinking it should because all the frequencies listed here are 46.xxx ranges. Is there a better antenna that might boost my signal area? This thing is older than the hills I know but I've pretty much decided I don't want to spend a ton of $$$ on a high end digital scanner considering Nassau already went encrypted which means Suffolk isn't far behind.

Thanks.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
*Bump*

Will this thing still be worth using to listen in on local Suffolk County, NY volunteer FD's? I'm thinking it should because all the frequencies listed here are 46.xxx ranges. Is there a better antenna that might boost my signal area? This thing is older than the hills I know but I've pretty much decided I don't want to spend a ton of $$$ on a high end digital scanner considering Nassau already went encrypted which means Suffolk isn't far behind.

Thanks.

Anything that is below 512 MHz and is analog should still work on that old scanner. I still use several old BC220 and 250s and they work fantastic for the analog stuff around here.
Chances are, there will always be something it will still get but it may not be what you want. Many PDs are moving the way of digital and even railroad is expected to move to digital so there may not be much left for the old 210 in a few years.
As long as your area FD does not go digital, the 210 will work for some time with them.
I'd program it up and let it run until they switch or the old scanner dies!
When that time comes, maybe then you will reconsider a digital scanner providing everyone has not jumped on the encryption bandwagon.

DJ88

The 210XL does not have CTCSS (PL) and DSC (DPL) Tone capabilities, so if there are other agrencies that use the same frequencies as the ones in your area, and they are within receiving range of your scanner, you will also hear them.

Status
Not open for further replies.