Internal spkr on 996t

Status
Not open for further replies.

osiris

Hi all,
I have been listening to my BCD996T through the front stereo jack with headphones for a couple of weeks as I have been laid up with a broken leg. Before that I mostly had it in my truck with a tape adaptor plugged into the rear ext spkr jack,playing thru the truck radio. Today I unplugged the headphones and the internal spkr doesn't work. Anyone else had this problem? Other than that this is a great radio.YEA Uniden.
thanks
Bob Findlay

osiris

Hi Dwayne,
Yes, I did that. And I forgot to mention that the rear ext. spkr jack also doesn't work anymore. Probably the contacts are stuck in the front jack like you said. I'll keep trying to free them up.
Fortunately the front jack still works anyway.
Thanks, Bob

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
osiris said:
Hi all,
I have been listening to my BCD996T through the front stereo jack with headphones for a couple of weeks as I have been laid up with a broken leg. Before that I mostly had it in my truck with a tape adaptor plugged into the rear ext spkr jack,playing thru the truck radio. Today I unplugged the headphones and the internal spkr doesn't work. Anyone else had this problem? Other than that this is a great radio.YEA Uniden.
thanks
Bob Findlay

Bob, I had the same thing happen to my '996. After using headphones in the front jack, I unplugged them and the internal speaker wouldn't work anymore. I ended up sending the radio back to Uniden, and they replaced the front speaker jack, which apparently broke or got stuck open so as to have the internal speaker not work. The turnaround time was a little under three weeks.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The problem is most likely due to the metal used for the jacks being too soft, and loosing the spring qualities that harder metal would have. Hopefully Uniden will address this with their manufacturing plants.

Mark01

After using headphones in the front jack, I unplugged them and the internal speaker wouldn't work anymore
Wow good timing for this thread..I had my speaker plugged into the front jack overnight and just noticed my internal speaker will not work either .Tried plugging in the headphone jacks with a 1/8 connector to unstick but it did not work.One thing I've noticed is the the rear speaker jack will not play audio with a non-amplified speaker but will have audio with a amplified speaker although with a loud hum that was not there before and I am using a regulated power supply.Think it's time to send it back to Uniden :)

Dubbin

Feed Provider
Hmm it seems like Uniden has a problem on their hands here. I wonder if they'll step up and do the right thing????

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Dubbin said:
Hmm it seems like Uniden has a problem on their hands here. I wonder if they'll step up and do the right thing????

Exactly what would the "right thing" be? They replaced my speaker jack under warranty, so aside from sending someone out to my house for an in-home repair, what else could they do? About the only thing they could do is find a different source for the speaker jacks, or a different make, or some sort of quality control, etc. A mass recall maybe? :confused:

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Dubbin said:
Fixing the radio for free if its out of warranty would be the right thing to do.

If they determine that they had a run of bad or inferior jacks, and lots of people are having this problem, then I would agree. Sort of like the BCD396 faceplate lettering rub-off issue.

Dubbin

Feed Provider
W4KRR said:
If they determine that they had a run of bad or inferior jacks, and lots of people are having this problem, then I would agree. Sort of like the BCD396 faceplate lettering rub-off issue.

I have seen several posts now about this problem so I'm guessing that there are a lot more people out there with problems then just us nerds here on RR :D

osiris

Hi again,
Now I'm glad I brought this up. I first thought it was a "fluke" thing, but it sounds like a more widespread issue.
Now would be a good time to send it in for repair since I still have my BC785D to listen to while this one is out.
Thanks guys, Bob

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
I imagine Upman will chime in here soon and save the day. From my experience here Uniden has been very fare when it comes to production issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.