BCD996T, no sound from speaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wise871

Database Admin
I believe I read a post on this already, but today my 996 is no longer getting sond from the internal speaker. The front head phone jack works fine along with record and speaker out in the back. Is there any way to reset the radio to fix this or am I looking at sending it for repairs? I tried resetting the headset jack several times like someone suggested but no-go.

Last edited:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
In the front headphone jack it could be stuck, if you insert the phone plug into the jack part of the way see if you can hear the audio. Check that the rear jack is also open, if you have used it.

wise871

Database Admin
No-go on the front . On the rear (Ext Speaker), if I just stick the phone jack in part way I will hear some on the speaker on more on the headphones. Sounds like a bad plug. Funny thing is, I don't use the rear connection at all. This kind of sucks for a $500+ radio that I've only had a few months. To top it off, if and when I send it in for repairs, it could almost be a month before I see it again. :(

Northcountry

speaker

could you not just go with an external speaker, To be hones I just got this rig and really am not enthusiastic about the audio on it. If your getting audio from one of the jacks you could just run an external from it and be done with it.

wise871

Database Admin
Northcountry said:
could you not just go with an external speaker, To be hones I just got this rig and really am not enthusiastic about the audio on it. If your getting audio from one of the jacks you could just run an external from it and be done with it.

I could run an external speaker but that would not fix the original problem. I would always know something is wrong with it.

Northcountry

fixing the problem

wise871 said:
I could run an external speaker but that would not fix the original problem. I would always know something is wrong with it.

I can sympathize with how you feel. I had read about this problem in other posts as well. I am not going to use either of the jacks unless I have to.

Have you considered doing the fix yourself? you may learn alot and if you document the process with photos you can help those of who will inevitably have to do this thing as well!

good luck

wise871

Database Admin
Northcountry said:
Have you considered doing the fix yourself? you may learn alot and if you document the process with photos you can help those of who will inevitably have to do this thing as well!

good luck

I thought about it. If it was one of my BCT15 I might, but since it's the $$$996$, I think I'll leave it to Uniden. Besides, it might be something more.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
The same thing happened to my BCD996. After removing a headphone plug from the front jack, the built-in speaker no longer worked. Apparently the front jack became stuck. I tried sticking things in the jack to attempt to un-stick it, but I wasnt successful. I ended up sending it back to Uniden to get it fixed. I read a few posts from others who apparently had the same problem. Might be an issue with the front jacks on the 996.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
Had the same problem with my 396 once, too. I found that opening up the scanner and using a paperclip to bend the contacts back into shape seems to have solved the problem.

wise871

Database Admin
From looking at photos online, the phone jack adapter appears to be enclosed so pushing the pin would not be an option. Thanks for the suggestion. I know for a fact I will not be using the headphone jacks on the BCT15's. Hate to have them go down also.

Ken
How long did it take for Uniden to get the unit back too you?
Thanks All
Dan

Last edited:

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
You can add me to the list of victims. I used the headphone jack extensively for the first time during a recent road trip to Florida and back. I lost the built in speaker first, and then the external speaker jack failed as well. Great radio, but this is an obvious design flaw. All 996's should be under warranty, but Uniden really needs to step up and address this issue beyond the warranty period as well.

I will never use the headphone jack on mine again, even after it comes back fixed. I'll just plug my headphones into the external speaker jack from this point forward and adjust the volume accordingly so I don't burn what's left of my eardrums off... ;)

RPSINFOMAN

I think Uniden offers a Rapid Exchange program. Check there web-site under repairs. I believe they ship you a replacment and you return the defective product when your replacment arrives. There most likely refurbished units but in some cases may very well be better than new out of the box. If you don't use the Rapid Repair, your unit may be tied up for weeks.

RPSINFOMAN

I think Uniden offers a Rapid Exchange program. Check there web-site under repairs. I believe they ship you a replacment and you return the defective product when your replacment arrives. There most likely refurbished units but in some cases may very well be better than new out of the box. If you don't use the Rapid Repair, your unit may be tied up for weeks.

wise871

Database Admin
Thanks for the info. I can live a few weeks without it. I would like to get the same unit back. One main reason, it contains the older firmware.

wise871

Database Admin
Well it's off to Uniden today. :( I sent them a letter along with a copy of the email receipt from Communication Electronics. They should have it Wednesday. I hope I’ll see it soon.

hydrolocked

since i couldn't find any info on the rapid exchange program (even when asking Uniden about it via email) -

I popped the 996 open to see if i couldn't bypass the headphone jack with a quick jumper - since i don't use it.

Lo and behold, i could. I put a jumper between the 2nd and 3rd pins from the 996'[s left side (the side closest to the headphone jack).

this allowed the speaker to fire up, and also allowed the external speaker jack to properly function again. ok, so i may not be able to use headphones anymore, but i'm not overly concerned about that.

note: this probably (ok, DEFFINITELY) voids the warantee, but i needed it fixed NOW.

Attachments

• 100_0770.JPG
    100_0770.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 1,206

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
If your camera has "Macro" mode on it (often has a little flower for an icon beside the button that activates it) you can get real close for detail and still stay in focus. Mine will take a shot from as close as three inches.

hydrolocked

it doesn't, i tried close and far, the lighting was my problem... i'll try again one day this week, but i wanted to show the relative position when you remove the bottom cover - the jumper is on pins 2 and 3 from the side of the radio.....

the only thing i haven't tried yet is programmign it, once i do that, i'll know i fixed that without breaking anything else!!!

ray smith

Mine 996 had same problem with no sound from int spk after using head phone jack. Sent it in to Uniden and got it back in 8 Days not bad!!! Now I dont use the headphone jack. I do use the ex spk jack now to run it through the car radio! Finally the radio sounds good now I can ajust the tone and treble so it does not kill my ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.