exactly HOW does Close Call work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_hankey

does anyone have any clue as to how Uniden's new Close Call feature works?

is it more of an RF Counter, or a fast-search?

i've seen it working, and it's pretty darned instantaneous...

Voyager

mr_hankey said:
does anyone have any clue as to how Uniden's new Close Call feature works?

is it more of an RF Counter, or a fast-search?

i've seen it working, and it's pretty darned instantaneous...

It's a counter with a filter built in to eliminate random counts. Like an Opto Scout with the filter turned on.

Joe M.

bigjnsa

CC

From what you could tell, if CC is on and scanning is on, it takes 2-3 seconds for the CC to lock on. Scanning off and in CC mode only, its instant. Dude, just buy one ;)

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
And during the 2-3 seconds (2, actually), the scanner is doing other things...scanning. The Close Call check takes less than 100 mS if there are no strong signals. If there is a strong signal, and it isn't locked out or screened, detection time is generally around 100 mS.

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
So CloseCall is a Uniden trademark. Is it patented?

I'm wondering how the CloseCall circuitry differs from an Opto Scout?

Is it just a scout with a preselector?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
It is a Uniden trademark. Technology is patent pending and is significantly different than the Scout. The Scout is designed to be very accurate. Close Call is designed to be "accurate enough" but very fast at either rejecting noise or passing a real signal.

1scanfan

Just got my 246 the other day. Tried out close call on a trip to McDonalds. Nothing was heard on this trip. Is there a way to actually have the scanner unsquelch without having to hit a key??

Voyager

1scanfan said:
Just got my 246 the other day. Tried out close call on a trip to McDonalds. Nothing was heard on this trip. Is there a way to actually have the scanner unsquelch without having to hit a key??

The radios used on the remote order systems are VERY low power and are located (usually) behind the counter inside the store. It's not uncommon to not get a CC/SS hit on those. Remember, they have to be 10 dB stronger than ANY other signal, so you have to be very close. This also goes for cordless phones, baby monitors, and wireless mics.

Unsquelch without hitting a key? Turn the squelch knob down. Or am I misunderstanding your question? On normal CC mode (not autostore), it unsquelches when it receives a hit. Of course, if that signal goes away, it will close the squelch again.

Joe M.

1scanfan

I appreciate the reply. I wasn't aware that it took such a strong signal to activate. Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.