RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Software Discussion

Uniden Software Discussion Topics shall be specific to Uniden produced software though third party non-programming software is permitted. Please see the Software category for all third-party programming software.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-29-2013, 12:51 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennank View Post
My first thoughts after using the Sentinel Software to make my new favorites lists:

1. I would like to see a way to visually edit the GPS coordinates. Say you can open Google Maps within Sentinel and place a map pin at the center of a circle. Then set the radius. It was a pain to have to look up a businesses address, then convert that to coordinates then enter a radius for every business.

2. I would like to see better Favorites Lists Editor functionality. As of right now it is pretty poor. To copy and pastes channels from one department to another you have to create empty channels to write to in the destination department. That is dumb. There is also no way to right click and edit names or delete systems within the left column, that is ludicrous. It seams to be very difficult to change names of various entities. You must be in the proper place everywhere. I think a simple click or the push of F2 should allow you to edit the name in any location; save the main database. I dislike how I can only edit one Favorite List at a time. That is hard when I would like to see my other lists as well. All in all the Favorites List Editor leave a lot of simple functionality to be desired.

3. I would like to see a way to compare your Favorites Lists to each new main database update. Lets you see side by side your lists and the new database changes and lets you pick and choose what gets updates in your Favorite Lists. That shouldn't be very hard considering how the database files are actually constructed.

4. I would like a way to hide unused items in the main database. While I am building my lists, I don't need to see the other 49 states. It is also really inefficient how it scrolls down to your Favorites Lists every single time you append something.

It is interesting software, but very clunky. Everything can only really be done one way. If you want to change a system name you have to follow all these steps, you can't just click and rename. I understand that software is not Uniden's area of expertise. I also understand that I am being nit picky, but as someone who as built programs these things stick out to me.

I do love how I can just pick and choose from the main database and add it over. That is great. No more copy and paste from RR. I understand some of my thoughts have already been mentioned, but the more people that speak up the better chance we have of something changing.
All great ideas...already posted about hiding un-needed states in the main database list and this morning, really would have liked being able to edit in the left-hand column including re-naming favorites.

A couple more...
...after you add a favorite and the list jumps down to there, a quick (keystroke) way to return to where you last were in the database list (eliminating having to scroll back up).
...in the "Select Favorites List" window, return to your last used favorite.

John
Sponsored links
Old 12-29-2013, 7:24 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Can I delete all but the control channels?

I'm programming Sentinel with the RR data base the Indiana Hoosier Project SAFE-T system (which is a Motorola Type II system). When I import the data all of the frequencies from each site appears. Can I delete all but the control channels? With my BCD396XT I use the C-Ch option.

GRE PSR-500, PSR-600, PSR-800, Uniden BC780XLT, BCD396XT, HP-1, BCD436HP
Old 12-29-2013, 8:03 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdscan View Post
I'm programming Sentinel with the RR data base the Indiana Hoosier Project SAFE-T system (which is a Motorola Type II system). When I import the data all of the frequencies from each site appears. Can I delete all but the control channels? With my BCD396XT I use the C-Ch option.
You could, but why bother? The scanner (and the 396 too) run in control channel only mode all the time.. It's no longer an option. There's no performance hit nor storage limitation for keeping the frequencies, and it's not unusual for a trunk system to switch to a control channel not specified as such in the RRDB. If you delete frequencies in that case, your radio will stop working.
Old 12-29-2013, 8:38 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thumbs up

Thank you. I did not see the subject of Control Channels in the manual... good to know.

GRE PSR-500, PSR-600, PSR-800, Uniden BC780XLT, BCD396XT, HP-1, BCD436HP
Old 12-29-2013, 9:31 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Having all of the frequencies associated with a trunked system avoids the possibility of a voice channel being assigned as a control channel at a future time. While the database shows primary and alternate control channels, I believe radio system managers are free to use any frequencies they choose as control channels.

I'm probably but one guy in 10,000 who does the following. While exceedingly remote, there is a possibility of a trunked system to have a major failure and it goes into a "Failsoft" mode. This is where the trunked system reverts to a conventional system operation. I've programmed my scanner to have my local such that it is a conventional system, just in case this happens. So having all of the frequencies shown in the database is helpful to me when doing that.
Sponsored links
Old 12-30-2013, 1:18 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Very good post ofd8001 I also think redundancy, The radios they (police, fire) updated from could very well be backups. Or as you say a "FailSoft" Depending on a interop system alone would be crazy. So programming in old frequencies is a smart thing to do.
Old 12-30-2013, 1:39 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofd8001 View Post
Having all of the frequencies associated with a trunked system avoids the possibility of a voice channel being assigned as a control channel at a future time. While the database shows primary and alternate control channels, I believe radio system managers are free to use any frequencies they choose as control channels.

I'm probably but one guy in 10,000 who does the following. While exceedingly remote, there is a possibility of a trunked system to have a major failure and it goes into a "Failsoft" mode. This is where the trunked system reverts to a conventional system operation. I've programmed my scanner to have my local such that it is a conventional system, just in case this happens. So having all of the frequencies shown in the database is helpful to me when doing that.
Ha, I do the same thing! I setup a bunch of conventional channels marked as digital only or I do a one freq trunk program. Doing one freq trunk allows you to still see the talkgroups and RIDs if desired.
I'll also scan some of the lightly used systems as one freq trunked or conventional digital repeaters and forget trying to follow the control channel if the system is simulcast and I have a hard time keeping a good lock on the control channel.
Of course that does not work very well on large systems with lots of users but for the systems with only a handful of users and only a few talkgroups, it works fantastic and I rarely miss any traffic. You just need to make sure and not program any delays of any kind so the scanner will scan to the other channels in the system without delay.
Some sites seems to have a longer repeater hang time. For those sites, you can miss some traffic but I've found that if a repeater has not dropped before another user starts talking on the same TG, they will often come up on the repeater that is still in hang time instead of keying up another repeater.
Old 12-30-2013, 2:39 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Wx FIPS Code

I see in the owners manual that I can input " All FIPS" in the weather tab. for the life of me I can not find where to input " All FIPS" in the WX tab? Or is there a 5 digit all code?

Thanks
Old 12-30-2013, 6:43 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennank View Post
My first thoughts after using the Sentinel Software to make my new favorites lists:

better chance we have of something changing.
Snipped quote for brevity.

Having used Sentinel for 3, 4 whatever years and having already made the same complaints (more or less) all I can say is, don't get your hopes up.

You my learn to use it - quirks and all, but you won't learn to love it.

It's been pretty much the same interface since day one.

One quirk I really hate is if you have a favorite editor window open it refuses to let you jump back to the desktop (at least with 3 machines and 3 operating systems).

Another is lack of a way to see the lat/lon of an entry - short of creating a fav. for it.
Sponsored links
Old 12-30-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmh603 View Post
I see in the owners manual that I can input " All FIPS" in the weather tab. for the life of me I can not find where to input " All FIPS" in the WX tab? Or is there a 5 digit all code?

Thanks
Hope this helps. This is from the NOAA site... NWR SAME Code Column: This 6-digit sequence uniquely describes each county. For coding of a whole county, the first digit is zero. For coding of a part of a county, the first digit is a non-zero number. The 2nd through 6th digits use the Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS). The 2nd and 3rd digits are the 2-digit state/equivalent territory identifier; the last three digits are the county or equivalent area identifier.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/SameCode.txt
Old 01-01-2014, 2:05 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Default WX

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditt2344 View Post
Hope this helps. This is from the NOAA site... NWR SAME Code Column: This 6-digit sequence uniquely describes each county. For coding of a whole county, the first digit is zero. For coding of a part of a county, the first digit is a non-zero number. The 2nd through 6th digits use the Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS). The 2nd and 3rd digits are the 2-digit state/equivalent territory identifier; the last three digits are the county or equivalent area identifier.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/SameCode.txt
All the weather related features wont help the North New jersey and New York City owners,162.550 is still off the air.
Old 01-05-2014, 7:04 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Export to kml file?

When I select "export to kml file" only two System locations are included in the kml file, even though my Favorites list contains about fifteen Systems.
What entry in Sentinel determines which locations are included?
Old 01-05-2014, 8:40 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by redburgundy View Post
When I select "export to kml file" only two System locations are included in the kml file, even though my Favorites list contains about fifteen Systems.
What entry in Sentinel determines which locations are included?
It's based on your using the entire DB or a favorite, then your selection of distance.
Old 01-05-2014, 8:47 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by phask View Post
It's based on your using the entire DB or a favorite, then your selection of distance.
Where do I find the choice between entire DB or a favorite?
I see only a distance selection.
Old 01-05-2014, 9:04 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Where do I find the choice between entire DB or a favorite?
I see only a distance selection.
Whatever is enabled in your profile.
Sponsored links
Old 01-05-2014, 9:19 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by phask View Post
Whatever is enabled in your profile.
I've got fifteen Systems in my Favorites list.
Only two of them appear in the kml file.
So I think there must be some additional information that's needed.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:05 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
I've got fifteen Systems in my Favorites list.
Only two of them appear in the kml file.
So I think there must be some additional information that's needed.
It depends on what value you chose in this dialog box:
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2014, 7:15 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay911 View Post
It depends on what value you chose in this dialog box:
It doesn't seem to matter.
The only choice is "range" and I get only the two Systems showing up in Google Earth regardless of what value of range I choose.
Old 01-06-2014, 8:31 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
The only choice is "range" and I get only the two Systems showing up in Google Earth regardless of what value of range I choose.
Export your favorites list to hpe format and email it to jay911@gmail.com - I'll take a look at it.
Old 01-06-2014, 9:02 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
It's based on Monitor = On in your profile / under favorites.

Unless I'm totally wrong.

I just tried it, but unless it's a small favorite it's too much info.
Closed Thread

Tags
bcdx36hp, sentinel