RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Software Discussion

Uniden Software Discussion Topics shall be specific to Uniden produced software though third party non-programming software is permitted. Please see the Software category for all third-party programming software.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 1:42 PM
FL, GA, AL, MS Admin
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOxlong View Post
Wow, you're da man!
I've been selecting systems using the lefthand side dropdowns. You can't multiselect from that side.
I've never tried using the righthand side window.
Thanks!
I'm 2 for 2. Glad I could help.

By the way, I answered your "how to direct entry and save" question on the other post.

Last edited by wise871; 01-19-2014 at 1:49 PM..
Sponsored links

Old 01-19-2014, 3:45 PM

Default Some Personal Notes Regarding Sentinel

For the past month or so, I've been test driving Sentinel and gradually getting acquainted with it. Some of the points below may have been previously mentioned by others or myself.
Some points may not be possible with a database of this type...that's an area I'm not knowledgeable in. Some of these comments may only mean something to me!

With that said...
• When you copy and paste a department from one system to another, the channels within the department don’t go with it to the new system.
• Allow “undo” (CTRL-Z) for the action just performed. Also, the use of the escape key to clear an entry while entering it and returning to the original entry.
• After appending something to a favorite, instead of having to scroll back up, a keystroke combination to jump you back to the main database location where you just were would be convenient.
• Edit Favorites List: Right click on a Favorite…add “Edit Favorites” to fly-out menu so you don’t have to use Edit menu at the top. Better yet, right click a favorite, select edit and go directly there without having to go through the “Select Favorites List” window.
• Allow at least some editing without having to open an edit window like renaming system, department and channel names from the main screen. With the current edit window, you can only edit one list at a time.
• Columns: a way to “auto-fit” all columns in one action. Currently, one has to double click on each column divider individually. Some columns are wider than needed so it would be nice to auto-fit to the width of the heading name or the entry in the column whichever is wider.
• Although the scanner will not make use of it, a “Comment” field would be nice for notes.
• A choice of simple or expanded view to “hide” lesser used columns. Is it possible to re-arrange columns? For me, I find more of a use of “Number Tag” column which is currently second from the right and would like to see it closer to Channel Name, Frequency, etc.
• A way to “hide” all of the states in the main database I’m currently not interested in. That would mean most of the time I could allow only my own state to be visible.
• The ability to copy/paste from a table or spreadsheet into a system or department would be nice.
• Export/Output data to CSV (or other format) to put into a spread sheet.
• Ability to output to a printer…I like having a hard copy of my programming available from time to time! Like exporting data to a spreadsheet, the printer output could be a list of favorites, list of systems within a favorite, list of departments within a system, etc.

I just updated from v1.01.07 to v1.02.01 so, maybe there's something new there.

Next step...get a BCD536HP!
John
Old 01-19-2014, 4:14 PM

Default lInk to the

Post link to new version of it please
Old 01-19-2014, 4:16 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

From the very first post in this thread http://forums.radioreference.com/uni...se-thread.html

BCD536HP < UnidenMan4 < TWiki
Old 01-19-2014, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzleriddle View Post
Post link to new version of it please
Here you go...
BCD536HP < UnidenMan4 < TWiki
Sponsored links
Old 01-19-2014, 5:22 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I find it sort of odd that this program, BCDx36HP Sentinel, which is used to update the scanner's database and also the scanner's firmware doesn't seem to have a way to check for updates to itself.

Mark
Old 01-19-2014, 5:27 PM
FL, GA, AL, MS Admin
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkWestin View Post
I find it sort of odd that this program, BCDx36HP Sentinel, which is used to update the scanner's database and also the scanner's firmware doesn't seem to have a way to check for updates to itself.

Mark
Could be since Uniden doesn't update there software as often as third party developers. Once they release a software thats pretty much it. They move on to the next project were developers have an interest or livelihood if it's a pay version.
Old 01-19-2014, 5:42 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrensicPic View Post
Thanks!!!
Old 01-19-2014, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkWestin View Post

Mark
Yes, noticed that too. No "Help" either.
John
Sponsored links

Old 01-19-2014, 7:29 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4CYA View Post
Would love to see Apple & Uniden teamed up and some how Uniden programming will also support Apple's Mac OS X.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEvil View Post
+1 on Mac scanner development. I've had to use Parallels for years (which does work fine) instead of the native OSX environment for my scanner programming/controlling needs.
I just posted a little how to on getting Sentinel to run on mac. Its only takes a little while to setup and seems to be working. I just can't verify that it will connect via the usb until I get my radio.

http://forums.radioreference.com/showthread.php?t=282304

Good luck and please let me know how it goes.
Old 01-19-2014, 7:36 PM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Copying Single Channel Trunked Systems

Having to make a conventional P25 frequency a single channel trunked system in order to see radio ID's is very clunky and makes no sense however it is what it is.

I have the same problem copying the P25 single trunked systems over to my next favorite list. I can't select them all (About 100) I have had to select them one at a time. Did I miss something or is the copying process just as clunky as creating a single frequency site?

Federal Radio ID's tell you what agency they belong to and that's the reason I want to see them. So encrypted or not I still want to view who is on the air.

Another shortcoming is not being Hopefully I missed both and someone can tell me what I am doing wrong.

Thanks

Les

QUOTE=FrensicPic;2109293]For the past month or so, I've been test driving Sentinel and gradually getting acquainted with it. Some of the points below may have been previously mentioned by others or myself.
Some points may not be possible with a database of this type...that's an area I'm not knowledgeable in. Some of these comments may only mean something to me!

With that said...
• When you copy and paste a department from one system to another, the channels within the department don’t go with it to the new system.
• Allow “undo” (CTRL-Z) for the action just performed. Also, the use of the escape key to clear an entry while entering it and returning to the original entry.
• After appending something to a favorite, instead of having to scroll back up, a keystroke combination to jump you back to the main database location where you just were would be convenient.
• Edit Favorites List: Right click on a Favorite…add “Edit Favorites” to fly-out menu so you don’t have to use Edit menu at the top. Better yet, right click a favorite, select edit and go directly there without having to go through the “Select Favorites List” window.
• Allow at least some editing without having to open an edit window like renaming system, department and channel names from the main screen. With the current edit window, you can only edit one list at a time.
• Columns: a way to “auto-fit” all columns in one action. Currently, one has to double click on each column divider individually. Some columns are wider than needed so it would be nice to auto-fit to the width of the heading name or the entry in the column whichever is wider.
• Although the scanner will not make use of it, a “Comment” field would be nice for notes.
• A choice of simple or expanded view to “hide” lesser used columns. Is it possible to re-arrange columns? For me, I find more of a use of “Number Tag” column which is currently second from the right and would like to see it closer to Channel Name, Frequency, etc.
• A way to “hide” all of the states in the main database I’m currently not interested in. That would mean most of the time I could allow only my own state to be visible.
• The ability to copy/paste from a table or spreadsheet into a system or department would be nice.
• Export/Output data to CSV (or other format) to put into a spread sheet.
• Ability to output to a printer…I like having a hard copy of my programming available from time to time! Like exporting data to a spreadsheet, the printer output could be a list of favorites, list of systems within a favorite, list of departments within a system, etc.

I just updated from v1.01.07 to v1.02.01 so, maybe there's something new there.

John[/QUOTE]
http://W8MSP.com
E-Mail W8MSP@W8MSP.com
E-Mail detroit780@radioreference.com
Old 01-19-2014, 7:48 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default BCDx36HP Sentinel Software &amp; Siren App Discussion

Dan. Looking good in the truck

I just hope the Siren app is in the Apple App Store and Google Play soon. My whole plan is to listen to my radio remotely

Thanks for those pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2014, 8:12 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Can some of you post a screen shot of how your Favorites and Systems are laid out? Coming from the 246 and Freescan this is all new to me so I'm trying to grasp the idea. I've tried reading through post's but I'm a hands on kinda guy. I'm sure once I get my radio it will make more sense but I'd love to see how other are setting up.

Thanks!!
Old 01-19-2014, 8:17 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by yancmo View Post
Can some of you post a screen shot of how your Favorites and Systems are laid out? Coming from the 246 and Freescan this is all new to me so I'm trying to grasp the idea. I've tried reading through post's but I'm a hands on kinda guy. I'm sure once I get my radio it will make more sense but I'd love to see how other are setting up.

Thanks!!

UPMan posted this a while ago:

BCDx36HP Sentinel Creating Custom Favorites List - YouTube

Old 01-19-2014, 8:36 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdscon View Post
Thanks! I've watched that a few times now. :-) I've built a favorites list using the video as a guide. I'm really just curious how people are working with multiple favorites list and how they break them down. Really trying to learn new tactics on how to set my lists up and to see if I'm on the right track.

Last edited by yancmo; 01-19-2014 at 8:43 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 01-19-2014, 8:39 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrensicPic View Post
For the past month or so, I've been test driving Sentinel and gradually getting acquainted with it. Some of the points below may have been previously mentioned by others or myself.

With that said...

John
Right click on a Favorite, choose "Program Favorites List" does exactly what you are asking for.
Old 01-19-2014, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd7eir View Post
Right click on a Favorite, choose "Program Favorites List" does exactly what you are asking for.
Thanks! Stupid me didn't realize "Program Favorites List" is the same as "Edit Favorites LIst".
Maybe they will change it to Edit vs Program!
Old 01-19-2014, 9:34 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by yancmo View Post

Thanks!!
I have gone with the attached structure. Been playing with the software for weeks and am still quite unsure if this will work.... missing the vital piece to try it out. Until the past week, I was under the impression that there were two levels of quick keys (from my understanding of the owners manual) - Favorites and System. A recent post led me to believe that there are three levels (adding Department).

In the attached image, I have prefixed each line with the assigned quick key. Great tip by somebody, earlier. My fantasy is that this is near complete - I think I still need to do something with the individual sites shown within the systems, but with no prefix number (QK or number tag assigned)

Some things I am unclear if they will actually work: I have assigned SQK 0,1,2,etc under each favorite list, so they are reused over approx 20 favorites lists over and over. Also, I have done the same with the departments (0,5,10, etc). I haven't really assigned too many 'number tags' to date - just enough to play with when I get a scanner. Not shown in the image are the individual channels. I don't know how I would ultimately use the number tags as I have always gone to the correct bank, correct list, then spin the dial to get to the right ID. Too difficult for me to remember hundreds of individual numbers.

If anybody has any input on what I've got going, I am eager to hear it.
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2014, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonc182 View Post
I have gone with the attached structure. Been playing with the software for weeks and am still quite unsure if this will work.... missing the vital piece to try it out. Until the past week, I was under the impression that there were two levels of quick keys (from my understanding of the owners manual) - Favorites and System. A recent post led me to believe that there are three levels (adding Department).

In the attached image, I have prefixed each line with the assigned quick key. Great tip by somebody, earlier. My fantasy is that this is near complete - I think I still need to do something with the individual sites shown within the systems, but with no prefix number (QK or number tag assigned)

Some things I am unclear if they will actually work: I have assigned SQK 0,1,2,etc under each favorite list, so they are reused over approx 20 favorites lists over and over. Also, I have done the same with the departments (0,5,10, etc). I haven't really assigned too many 'number tags' to date - just enough to play with when I get a scanner. Not shown in the image are the individual channels. I don't know how I would ultimately use the number tags as I have always gone to the correct bank, correct list, then spin the dial to get to the right ID. Too difficult for me to remember hundreds of individual numbers.

If anybody has any input on what I've got going, I am eager to hear it.
Any particular reason why your Department QKs increment in fives? Just curious!
Old 01-19-2014, 9:58 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I was thinking that when I assigned number tags to them, it would make more sense - QK 0 = Number tags 0-49, QK 5 = 50-99, 10 = 100-149, etc. Then when I decided that I wasn't going to do much with the number tags, I convinced myself that the counting by 5's would be easier to remember to avoid going back and renumbering them.
Closed Thread

Tags
bcdx36hp, sentinel