RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Software Discussion

Uniden Software Discussion Topics shall be specific to Uniden produced software though third party non-programming software is permitted. Please see the Software category for all third-party programming software.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9BU View Post
This is going to sound cruel, harsh, and insensitive.

Why would a scanning newbie start out with a complex, high performance, top-of-the-line scanner? I don't see many high school driver's ed classes being taught in Ferraris, if you get my point.
Because they want to listen to digital trunked systems that are only caught on so-called complex high-performance TOTL equipment?

Just a wild guess...
Old 02-05-2014, 3:02 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Wow, just got reading first to last. Got the 436, had Sentinel for a couple weeks, made some FL's, then made them again, again, again. OK the new Sentinel format is a different breed to me. My last digital scanner was the Pro-96, I worked with Win-96 and Pro-96-Com software's, got good with them. (Hey I'm smart) YA-Right? I opened a note pad and started cutting and pasting as I went threw the forum, lot of chaff, not even close to helping me. As I found things I could use, I saved them. Having owned the Pro-96 and now this radio (first impression) Great! Audio, Great!, Range of reception, Great! Haven't found a negative so far. Put in the zip and great results. My learning curve with new terms of programming functions (Sentinal) has me ready to take a break and come back again for another look, see. Some of the posts have been helpful, videos, helpful, Still like pulling teeth, Hope that light bulb in my head soon comes on. Thanks
Old 02-05-2014, 7:11 AM

I've noticed that the database in the Sentinel software does not include some systems that are in the RR database. For example, in Phoenix, Maricopa County, Arizona there is an LTR system in the RR database that I can't find in the Sentinel database. It is a business system called IAN Communications with four sites listed. There are no talk groups in the RR database and I am guessing that is why it isn't in Sentinel. However, if I can't scan it I can't try to scope out some TGs.

Another one I found is Fisher Wireless TeamTalk. This is apparently a nationwide system with sites in Maricopa County, but no local talkgroups. I can't find it either.

I think these systems should be included in Sentinel so that we can search for TGs.
Old 02-05-2014, 7:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKennedy4812 View Post
I've noticed that the database in the Sentinel software does not include some systems that are in the RR database. For example, in Phoenix, Maricopa County, Arizona there is an LTR system in the RR database that I can't find in the Sentinel database. It is a business system called IAN Communications with four sites listed. There are no talk groups in the RR database and I am guessing that is why it isn't in Sentinel. However, if I can't scan it I can't try to scope out some TGs.

Another one I found is Fisher Wireless TeamTalk. This is apparently a nationwide system with sites in Maricopa County, but no local talkgroups. I can't find it either.

I think these systems should be included in Sentinel so that we can search for TGs.
Stupid question, but did you download the latest RR database update to Sentinel?
Old 02-05-2014, 7:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss View Post
Stupid question, but did you download the latest RR database update to Sentinel?
Yes
Old 02-05-2014, 7:43 AM
Global DB Admin/Senior Mod
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Default BCDx36HP Sentinel Software & Siren App Discussion

If there's no talkgroups, then create your own system and use ID Search to find them.

Sorry but I don't accept PM's. Please use email instead.
Old 02-05-2014, 7:45 AM
Live Audio Admininstrator
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default Siren APP

Not sure if i missed it. However I thought this app would be available already. UPman could you please advise.

Thanks
Old 02-05-2014, 7:54 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShuster221 View Post
Not sure if i missed it. However I thought this app would be available already. UPman could you please advise.

Thanks
Yes you missed it, like 23 times. There is no release date as of yet.
Old 02-05-2014, 7:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss View Post
There is a new firmware update this morning, for the 536, just updated. :-) at least I think it's new
Sponsored links
Old 02-05-2014, 8:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOxlong View Post
If there's no talkgroups, then create your own system and use ID Search to find them.
When the system has multiple sites with multiple frequencies, that takes a lot of time. Why should that be necessary when the data is already in the RRDB? Can't that be sent to Uniden to be included in the Sentinel database?

Is there a quick way for me to create a system in Sentinel using existing data from RR? I can't find any information on that. If there is some, please point me in the right direction.
Old 02-05-2014, 8:43 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKennedy4812 View Post
When the system has multiple sites with multiple frequencies, that takes a lot of time. Why should that be necessary when the data is already in the RRDB? Can't that be sent to Uniden to be included in the Sentinel database?

Is there a quick way for me to create a system in Sentinel using existing data from RR? I can't find any information on that. If there is some, please point me in the right direction.
That would be something for UPMan to answer. When the HomePatrol-1 was first brought out, the decision was made to exclude systems with no talkgroups from the HPDB (the database that Uniden creates after pulling the info from RadioReference).

It may be in everyone's best interests, with these new scanners, to include systems without talkgroups in the HPDB, and automatically trigger those systems to "ID Search: ON".

Again, Paul will be the one with the answers.
Old 02-05-2014, 9:36 AM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The IAN system is LTR Passport (not trackable) and has no channels defined. Either of those will result in the system not being included in the HPDB. We only include scannable systems.
Old 02-05-2014, 3:05 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by signal500 View Post
Greg,

I'm not a pro or expert, but I have put together some videos on the Uniden BCD536HP that I hope can help you and others. Check out the link:

K4DPS - YouTube
Great set of videos, Doug. Thanks ...
Old 02-05-2014, 4:15 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by janesvillegreg View Post
There is a new firmware update this morning, for the 536, just updated. :-) at least I think it's new
I think you were dreaming, there is no firnware update.
Old 02-05-2014, 4:27 PM
Global DB Admin
Database Admin

Anyone notice an issue with Sentinel favorite list items disappearing or reappearing inside another favorite list?

I have over a dozen FL set up here in Los Angeles, and now on more than one occasion only after uploading to the scanner I notice that some of FL as shown in the Sentinel software have been modified for no apparent reason.
Sponsored links
Old 02-05-2014, 6:52 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAflyer View Post
Anyone notice an issue with Sentinel favorite list items disappearing or reappearing inside another favorite list?

I have over a dozen FL set up here in Los Angeles, and now on more than one occasion only after uploading to the scanner I notice that some of FL as shown in the Sentinel software have been modified for no apparent reason.
Wonder if any one of them is being truncated due to being too big? 1 MB limit?

Can you tell if they are modified in the scanner too or only in Sentinel?

Could Sentinel be corrupted or perhaps the computer needs to be rebooted?

These are just guesses.
Old 02-05-2014, 8:13 PM
Global DB Admin
Database Admin

Unlikely to be a truncating issue as largest FL is 62KB

They appear to load correctly onto the scanner, as on one occasion I restored Sentinel back from the scanner after catching the fact that the Sentinel Db went wacky during the write.

I've noted this issue now on 3 occasions over 2 days, so both the software and computer have been restarted.

Does not happen after every write, but as you can imagine its frustrating having portions of FL list which one spent long time working on mysteriously go missing, or moved into another FL list.

As this has happens just following writing to the scanner, I wonder if there is some verification commands that could be going wrong causing the FL data in the software to be inadvertently modified on occasion.

Anyhow heads up for others out there.
Old 02-05-2014, 8:22 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The favorites lists are stored on the SD card as files, you can browse them like you would any Windows removable drive.

When you plug the scanner (or the SD card) into the computer, navigate the folders that come up and look at the favorites lists. See if anything looks odd there.

If you haven't tried yet, I would reformat the card and send your data freshly. I've encountered some weirdness on the HP1 when sending modified favorites to a radio that already has them - unless you make a "clean slate" and start over, things get weird. I've never encountered the weirdness you describe, though.
Old 02-05-2014, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAflyer View Post

I noticed some general weirdness at times, but tried checking 'Erase Favorite Lists on Scanner' when writing to the scanner. I now do this every time. Can't say for sure if the problem being cured is real or imagined, but seems to work for me.
Old 02-05-2014, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonc182 View Post
I noticed some general weirdness at times, but tried checking 'Erase Favorite Lists on Scanner' when writing to the scanner. I now do this every time. Can't say for sure if the problem being cured is real or imagined, but seems to work for me.
Anytime you make changes to you files in the Sentinel software; add channels, remove channels you will need to select the "Erase Favorite Lists on Scanner" to write what you did on the PC to the scanner. If you do not then nothing changes on the scanner.

Same for when making changes on the scanner without the software. You manually added a channel, then Make sure to read from the scanner and SAVE in the Sentinel software.

This took me forever to figure out when I first got my HP-1. I thought I was going nutz.

Tags
bcdx36hp, sentinel