RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Software Discussion

Uniden Software Discussion Topics shall be specific to Uniden produced software though third party non-programming software is permitted. Please see the Software category for all third-party programming software.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-24-2013, 11:37 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I believe that Sentinel maintains a local copy as well as the re-directed copy that you are putting in the cloud (which it thinks is the scanner.) In order to keep things in sync I think you would have to Read From Scanner by pointing Sentinel to the copy that you have in the cloud. Then after editing Write To Scanner to save the edited copy in the cloud again.
Sponsored links
Old 11-25-2013, 12:57 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Is there anyway in Sentinel to make multiple selections under a db category? For example State agencies it would be nice to use shift or control and select air medical, dot, common etc without having to select each individually.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 11-25-2013, 2:03 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkm1215 View Post
Is there anyway in Sentinel to make multiple selections under a db category? For example State agencies it would be nice to use shift or control and select air medical, dot, common etc without having to select each individually.
I've not found any. It's the same as the HP-1 Sentinel software (and previous UASD software). I suspect it's an import limitation in the program.
MARC ID:3126326
Old 11-25-2013, 2:09 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thanks. Figured that was likely the case, but never used Sentinel before.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2013, 12:25 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0UDG View Post
I believe the reason the main database is not editable is that in one week or less it will be overwritten by the next update forcing you to start over with the alpha tags.

The only way around this is to use favorites list which the weekly updates do not change and like you I change most of the descriptions too.
this presents another problem.
anytime there are database updates,(such as frequencies, names etc....) we'd have to manually update our favorites correct?

seems like a bummer.
Sponsored links
Old 11-26-2013, 1:41 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEvil View Post
this presents another problem.
anytime there are database updates,(such as frequencies, names etc....) we'd have to manually update our favorites correct?
I think you would want to delete the System from your Favorites list and then re-append it from the updated database.

Of course, that doesn't help when you've customized the alpha tags, because it will use the alpha tags from the database, not your customized tags. The GRE EZScan is superior in that regard, because it allows you to select the option to retain your existing tags and not overwrite them.
Old 11-26-2013, 1:41 PM

The BCx36HP sentinel still has a glitch same as HP-1 sentinel. When appending a trunked system or a conventional system from one favorites list to another, Avoid status is ignored on the newly appended copy of the system. I have some non-encrypted TGs on area-wide trunked systems that I program in and lockout so they don't come up during ID search mode. I program the system in one favorites list and then append it to the favorites lists for the other counties that it covers. Sentinel will keep the lockouts in the original favorites list but it will ignore them in each appended copy.
Old 11-26-2013, 8:30 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I discovered loss of the "avoids" the hard way too, There must be a reason for this behavior but I sure do not know what it would be.

In addition, when you go into edit mode with either of the Sentinel programs the avoided sites/departments are red but in the "edit mode" they all now look alike (all black)! This is a real problem for me as I have rather a large number of freqs. that I am still working with and I need to know which ones are avoided without having to use several mouse clicks for each one to determine this. So, I actually took digital pictures of the red avoided cells before going into edit mode to use while I was in edit mode.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:13 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Is there a chance that a feature could be added to the Sentinel software which would export a Favorites List to a CSV file? Then perhaps another that would allow the importation of a CSV or spreadsheet file as a Favorites List?

I know much of this could be done via copying and pasting, but I take full advantages of being lazy whenever possible.
Sponsored links
Old 11-27-2013, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofd8001 View Post
Is there a chance that a feature could be added to the Sentinel software which would export a Favorites List to a CSV file? Then perhaps another that would allow the importation of a CSV or spreadsheet file as a Favorites List?

I know much of this could be done via copying and pasting, but I take full advantages of being lazy whenever possible.
We definitely need some way to streamline the process of cloning favorite lists between the XT and HP scanners.

- BCD996XT(x2) - BCD396XT - Airspy SDR (ordered) - FuncubeDonglePro+ - BCD436HP (for sale!) - amongst others..
Old 11-27-2013, 8:21 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0UDG View Post
I discovered loss of the "avoids" the hard way too, There must be a reason for this behavior but I sure do not know what it would be.

In addition, when you go into edit mode with either of the Sentinel programs the avoided sites/departments are red but in the "edit mode" they all now look alike (all black)! This is a real problem for me as I have rather a large number of freqs. that I am still working with and I need to know which ones are avoided without having to use several mouse clicks for each one to determine this. So, I actually took digital pictures of the red avoided cells before going into edit mode to use while I was in edit mode.

Dumb work around, Sort by the avoid column...
Old 11-27-2013, 1:57 PM

is sentinel able to import all freqs & not just CC & Acc??. btw I have had NO with updating the DB etc
Old 11-27-2013, 2:16 PM
Mentor
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzleriddle View Post
is sentinel able to import all freqs & not just CC & Acc??. btw I have had NO with updating the DB etc
It behaves like the Sentinel version for the HP-1.

All of the site frequencies in the database are "imported", not just the controls.

If you have the new version loaded, just drill down through the database, expanding US, then your state, to get to either your county, or one near you, or pick a diferent state, doen't matter.

Pick a trunked system, then right-click to append it to a favorites list, either your current one, or have Sentinel create a new one. (Needs to be a Motorola Type II or P25, not EDACS or LTR, of course.)

Now, look at the site on that appended system. All of the system frequencies will be there, not just the designated primary and alternate controls marked on it's database page.
Old 11-27-2013, 2:36 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I've noticed that the database is importing all the frequencies associated with a trunked system (control and voice).

Does this mention the notion of Control Channel Only scanning no longer exists?

Where I'm headed is this: Supposing a guy wants to create a trunked system that is not in the main database. Would all frequencies need to be programmed?
Old 11-27-2013, 2:38 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatanchor View Post
We definitely need some way to streamline the process of cloning favorite lists between the XT and HP scanners.
I think Butel's ARC PATROL has a feature to import ARC XT files as favorites lists, at least if I'm reading the manual correctly. Hopefully they will be coming out with a similar product for the new scanners.
Sponsored links
Old 11-27-2013, 3:58 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofd8001 View Post
I've noticed that the database is importing all the frequencies associated with a trunked system (control and voice).

Does this mention the notion of Control Channel Only scanning no longer exists?

Where I'm headed is this: Supposing a guy wants to create a trunked system that is not in the main database. Would all frequencies need to be programmed?

I noticed the same and had the same question... I'm assuming this has something to do with the "figure out where I am" feature... but it's hard to tell. Hoping UPman can shed some light on this change of philosopy. Also, i'm not seeing where you can modify the system type from what is imported from the RRDB. Granted, i'm still feeling my way around the programming style of the new software, but I've found how to modify everything else.
Old 11-27-2013, 4:12 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by atfd291 View Post
I noticed the same and had the same question... I'm assuming this has something to do with the "figure out where I am" feature... but it's hard to tell. Hoping UPman can shed some light on this change of philosopy. Also, i'm not seeing where you can modify the system type from what is imported from the RRDB. Granted, i'm still feeling my way around the programming style of the new software, but I've found how to modify everything else.
You can't change the system type. You'll have to create a new system in your favorites list if you want a different system type.

As for why it downloads all frequencies, it's because that's what is in the RadioReference database. "Control Channel Only" mode is still the method used for Motorola and P25 systems. There's no harm in having the voice frequencies in the scanner, especially since many systems have not got all the CCs identified (and not including the voice channels will result in losing the system when the CC rotates to what RR has listed as a voice channel).
Old 11-27-2013, 5:53 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiegtx View Post
It behaves like the Sentinel version for the HP-1.

All of the site frequencies in the database are "imported", not just the controls.

If you have the new version loaded, just drill down through the database, expanding US, then your state, to get to either your county, or one near you, or pick a diferent state, doen't matter.

Pick a trunked system, then right-click to append it to a favorites list, either your current one, or have Sentinel create a new one. (Needs to be a Motorola Type II or P25, not EDACS or LTR, of course.)

Now, look at the site on that appended system. All of the system frequencies will be there, not just the designated primary and alternate controls marked on it's database page.
e
ok will have o try instructions, I did only see the cc & AC' will go back & look again
Old 11-30-2013, 1:30 PM

When using this software on a system with multiple sites for a P25 system, do you just delete all the sites except for the one closer to you?

Like if I plan on picking up the next county over, I know I am closer to the one site then all the rest...Would I just delete them out of the favorites?
Old 11-30-2013, 1:38 PM
Mentor
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneg View Post
When using this software on a system with multiple sites for a P25 system, do you just delete all the sites except for the one closer to you?

Like if I plan on picking up the next county over, I know I am closer to the one site then all the rest...Would I just delete them out of the favorites?
You could either delete them, or simply set them them as "Avoid", the same as locked out. Either serves the same purpose.

Tags
bcdx36hp, sentinel