RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Software Discussion

Uniden Software Discussion Topics shall be specific to Uniden produced software though third party non-programming software is permitted. Please see the Software category for all third-party programming software.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2014, 2:47 PM

Location: Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by APSN556 View Post
I agree 100%. Frankly, these "updates" are borderline pointless due to the fact, that previous "updates" were false. I'm not sure what makes this update any more certain than the others. They also said the newest firmware update for the 436HP would be available by the end of March... I agree with you, someone dropped the ball BIG time, and from the sounds of it, STILL IS.
Yep, but in thread after thread after thread ad nauseum, folks said they wanted these updates, so Paul is giving them what they said they wanted. He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. Hopefully Uniden pays him well enough to afford a stiff drink or three at the end of the day. I know I would need it after dealing with the mess that this rollout has been. I think the man is due for a long, relaxing vacation after this is all fixed - maybe even a sabbatical.

I agree with you that someone screwed up, but I've also spent enough time in corporate America to be reasonably certain (as in 100%) that this is not Paul's fault. He was probably against releasing the scanners early, or even announcing them yet, but because of pressure from the scanner community and upper management, he had no choice. This has happened to me time and time again as well. The only difference is folks rarely see the disastrous outcomes of some idiot VP somewhere rushing things out the door and my resulting "I told you so" emails that absolve me of the blame for the mess. I can't imagine having to deal with a mess like this publicly like Paul has to do. I used to be jealous of his job, but not now - yikes.

I see nothing wrong with Paul giving us updates like this, even if they don't pan out. At least he's trying to keep us informed and I'm sure he's fired off a few heated emails to the folks responsible for the delays in the interim. I know I would have.

-AZ
Sponsored links
Old 04-11-2014, 3:06 PM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Much of the delay is due to not being aware of the magnitude of bugs in the dongle (which we essentially got from a supplier as is) until we had some app code written to actually use with the dongle. Kind of a chicken/egg situation (or is it egg/chicken?). Determining that the problem was dongle related vs. coding on our end was a non-trivial process of elimination. If not for that roadblock, the app would be completed for Apple devices by now and likely substantially close to completion for the Android platform, as well.

Most of my heated email budget was spent during the early days of the headphone issue.
Old 04-11-2014, 3:27 PM

I hate to say this, but cut Uniden/Paul some slack here. They are doing the best they can at this point.

Here is the problem, Uniden took their scanner group that pretty much had the scanner side figured out, then they put a network connection into the mix. I guarantee you that the scanner group had not first hand networking experience and did not fully understand the bag of crap that was about to end up in their lap.

Uniden does have some network security cameras, but this is likely a different group in a different location.

So then you have the old simple wireless dongle, how bad/hard can this be??? Well let me tell you, I hate USB wireless devices. They ALL have issues.

Then the scanner team probably had no idea they needed to write a custom firmware to load on the scanner just to test and beat the dongle to death.

The only way to separate these issues is to write a simple Ping program to load on the scanner and have Ping statics to make sure you have a stable connection, then once you know the connection is stable you have to start to pass traffic and load the connection and make sure there are no buffer issue, errors, dropped packets and so on.

Not overly difficult, but not overly easy for people that may have never dealt with adding networking to a partially mature platform that has never had networking.l

Its not easy, but it would have been much simpler if there was just a wired network interface that would have been an easy way to confirm if the wireless was a problem as well.

Wires work 99% of the time, wireless, well a very different animal.
Old 04-11-2014, 3:40 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPMan View Post
Much of the delay is due to not being aware of the magnitude of bugs in the dongle (which we essentially got from a supplier as is) until we had some app code written to actually use with the dongle. Kind of a chicken/egg situation (or is it egg/chicken?). Determining that the problem was dongle related vs. coding on our end was a non-trivial process of elimination. If not for that roadblock, the app would be completed for Apple devices by now and likely substantially close to completion for the Android platform, as well.

Most of my heated email budget was spent during the early days of the headphone issue.
Must keep moving forward with that Apple app. The Android users are clearly the most patient people on the planet. They will be more than willing to wait......
Old 04-11-2014, 3:45 PM

Quote:
True (and I know you can't confirm/deny) but this also has "upper management said we have to release the new scanners NOW while the buzz is so hot" written all over it. Hopefully that person reads this forum. If not, they should. It would be educational for them. I'm sure they won't be around to make the same mistake again if this doesn't get resolved soon.

Quote:
Heh. Well save some for a nice "I told you so" to the VP who caused all this mess so he has something nice to read as they walk him out.

-AZ
Sponsored links
Old 04-11-2014, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaria View Post
Must keep moving forward with that Apple app. The Android users are clearly the most patient people on the planet. They will be more than willing to wait......
Naah, we usually get sick of waiting and write our own apps. That's the nice thing about Android - I can distribute an app I wrote without waiting for a blessing from the current Pope at St. Job's Cathedral.

-AZ
Old 04-11-2014, 5:10 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesO View Post
I hate to say this, but cut Uniden/Paul some slack here. They are doing the best they can at this point.
With all due respect to your comment, why would anyone give Uniden any slack? Things get held up, I get it....but it's just one thing after another.....and you have to search for updates. I mean, their website still says 1Q14 for release. It's like Uniden could give a hoot....they already got their $$$ from those who bought the scanners.

Fact is again, they dropped the ball...released scanners WAY to early, and this is why we are in the situation we are now. I pretty much paid $600 (plus tax) for a Digital scanner? I specifically bought it for the WiFi feature. I will give Uniden some slack, if they send me $600 (plus tax), and I will send them my scanner, then when the app is released, I'll buy it again.

Should UPman be the only punching bag? Well, maybe not, we are all working men/gals ourselves, and he's got a big task ahead of him, however, he is all we have that voices to Uniden.

-Mark
Old 04-11-2014, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maansman View Post
With all due respect to your comment, why would anyone give Uniden any slack? Things get held up, I get it....but it's just one thing after another.....and you have to search for updates. I mean, their website still says 1Q14 for release. It's like Uniden could give a hoot....they already got their $$$ from those who bought the scanners.

Fact is again, they dropped the ball...released scanners WAY to early, and this is why we are in the situation we are now. I pretty much paid $600 (plus tax) for a Digital scanner? I specifically bought it for the WiFi feature. I will give Uniden some slack, if they send me $600 (plus tax), and I will send them my scanner, then when the app is released, I'll buy it again.

Should UPman be the only punching bag? Well, maybe not, we are all working men/gals ourselves, and he's got a big task ahead of him, however, he is all we have that voices to Uniden.

-Mark
What good does it do to bash Uniden at this point? Will is speed things up? Do not think so. Do I think Uniden should get a free ride here, not really, but I think we need to be careful as this industry is already on rocky footing. Were will be all be when Uniden says that are filing for bankruptcy or their Asian suppliers have a major economic or political issue or there is some major natural disaster? Some may laugh and think I am nuts, but just think about what has happened in the past 5 years around the world.

Bad overall execution and roll out for many reasons.

Uniden is adding a networking option into a platform that has never been networked, they CLEARLY underestimated the amount of effort and the type of staff that was needed for this venture. I am sure someone thought this is simple, put a WiFi dongle on the USB port and that's is all you need.

It is a bit more difficult than this.

Also I believe that Uniden may be up to something else with the network connection for the App, but I will keep my comments to my self as this may be pure speculation. But I expect there may be more to the WiFi dongle than a simple smart phone App??

My 536HP for the most part does what it is supposed to do. Would I like other features and options, sure, but is it stopping me from using the scanner for its main intended purpose, no.

So all we can do is sit, hope and wait. Complaining and bashing does not speed up the process. All it does is insight some of the others on the forum that may not have much restraint.

I wish Uniden all the best for this product and project because I am hopeful they will continue to be successful and have follow up products with additional features. Having a SDR and computer wrapped up is not easy to install in a vehicle or put on the table beside your favorite chair or bedside.
Old 04-11-2014, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maansman View Post
I will give Uniden some slack, if they send me $600 (plus tax), and I will send them my scanner, then when the app is released, I'll buy it again.
I guess the above post is a bit confusing to me. What's the difference between doing this and simply hanging on to the scanner and waiting for the app? We all bought these things KNOWING they weren't finished yet, but we HAD TO HAVE IT anyway. I'm certainly guilty of that myself. Is that 100% Uniden's fault? I don't think so.

The app will happen, as will the "end of March" firmware update we're all waiting on over in 436 land. We can act all upset and demand our money back until these things happen, but in reality that will just mean not having an otherwise awesome scanner to use in the meanwhile. Seems like a bit of an overreaction, doesn't it?

-AZ
Sponsored links
Old 04-11-2014, 6:03 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

It's not an over reaction. Uniden is STILL HAS THE 1ST2014 on the their website...they are being deceiving. Plain and simple. I have been a ham operator for over 15 years, have had a gazillion scanners/transceivers in my life time, and my honest opinion is by the time this app is released, then the bugs are kinked out, it won't be until late Spring...maybe. I hope I am wrong....but I mean we have to wait 30 days just until Uniden hears back from a vendor on the main piece of this feature. I was duped. And I don't like getting duped.

I know I am upsetting some Uniden fanboys, but...it's whatever.

Last edited by maansman; 04-11-2014 at 6:11 PM..
Old 04-11-2014, 6:04 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZScanner View Post
We all bought these things KNOWING they weren't finished yet, but we HAD TO HAVE IT anyway.
I'm GUILTY! Lol! Listen, I've only had my 436 for a few days, and I don't regret purchasing for one second...yet. So far, its doing an amazing job. I would have rather had the 536, but the lack of an App swayed me away from it.
Old 04-11-2014, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APSN556 View Post
I'm GUILTY! Lol! Listen, I've only had my 436 for a few days, and I don't regret purchasing for one second...yet. So far, its doing an amazing job. I would have rather had the 536, but the lack of an App swayed me away from it.
Yep, same here, love my 436 even as is, missing features and all. It does what I need it to do, so for me it was money well spent and I've got no regrets whatsoever. If that makes me a "Uniden fanboy" then so be it, I suppose. Truthfully though, I'd be just as happy with the scanner if Whistler/GRE had made it. I don't care who's name is on the front of the thing so long as it works, and this scanner works just fine.

-AZ
Old 04-11-2014, 8:05 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
We've progressed to 1.0.2 in beta, and have a very nice looking app coming. That's the good news. The bad news is that there have been some pretty major pains with getting the WiFi module to work reliably with the app. This seems to have been traced down to something that can be resolved with a firmware update to the module, but the module vendor is studying. They hope to resolve this within 30 days.

30 Days!!!

Not too happy about this. But, we are trying to see if we can resolve it through other means while we await that update. If we can, then we'll have the app out much sooner...but I cannot promise a date at this point, only that it will get released.
Wow! Sorry to hear about the vender problems. Will be waiting for good results. I'm looking forward to using this in the mobile and around the house. Thanks for keeping us in the loop.
MARC ID:3126326
Old 04-11-2014, 9:08 PM

Not a fanboy here, just realize that many purchased the unit knowing there were some issues. Nobody know about the headphone issue initially, but many knew and purchased anyway. I believe mine is a headphone issue serial number, but I have yet to bother to "register" it, must less bother to send it in for repair. Glad I did not with the crappy packing jobs, figured I am in no hurry and I can wait and do this on my schedule.

As for the website that has not been updated, yes it should be changed in my opinion, but it takes someone with a brain to get the ball rolling and there may be some reasons they do not want to change it. We are less than 2 weeks outside of the Q12014, so not sure I would get my feathers all ruffled.

At least you did not buy one of the expensive Porsche's that the engine can through a connecting rod and destroy the crank case and spray oil on the hot exhaust and the car will burn up!!! Porsche is replacing the entire engine in all of these cars. So what do you have to cry about with a $600 scanner?

Also if the WiFi dongle does not work out, luckily this is a USB plug in item, so Uniden can just ship a replacement if it is required.

As with anything we will have a mix of the cranky, cry babies that are totally impatient, then there are the inquisitive ones that just would like progress updates and there are the few that sit on the sideline and just wait quietly and patiently.

Lets all wish the Uniden Scanner team success with their challenges, the faster they are successful, the quicker they will have new things to release and we can all start the process all over again on what we like, dislike and what does and does not work.

What we all have to do if we could not have new toys and features to play with? We would have to hang around and complain about our health, mother in law, boomerang kids or politics!

Don't worry, be happy.
Old 04-11-2014, 9:09 PM

Quote:
True (and I know you can't confirm/deny) but this also has "upper management said we have to release the new scanners NOW while the buzz is so hot" written all over it.
No it doesn't because Uniden doesn't give two flips about the scanner program. If it wasn't for Paul, Uniden would be dropping the scanner program all together. The only reason Uniden still sells scanners is because of Nascar and Paul keeping it alive. So upper management doesn't care when this gets fixed or if it ever got released.

I mentioned this a couple weeks ago before Paul ever posted an update about this. I told yall it was a problem with the WiFi Dongle. It is crap, and I am sure this was all Uniden would give Paul to work with. They were probably 2 cent dongles which have probably been sitting in a shipping container for God knows where for months waiting for some poor soul to buy them. The company that sells them or should I say sold them. Have a history of selling crap. To the point they are no longer in business and were bought out, pretty much because they had to in order to settle their debt. Not to mention had lawsuits against them for embezzlement and a class action brought against them for faulty capacitors. Look up ABIT Computer Corporation if you think I am joking. They were bought out by Universal Global Scientific Industrial Co who has currently taken over their junk which is still junk and the Junk Uniden is using for the WiFi dongle.

Not once have I ever held Paul responsable as it has been Uniden the entire time and all my rants have stated that. So yes, the rants need to go to Uniden. At the same time though Uniden is not making Paul come on this forum. That is of his own doing. So if you're going to come into the lions den and taught them with steaks. It is your responsibility to fend them off, not Uniden. So if people want to complain about things blame Uniden as it should be.

With that said, any chance of at least the firmware for the internal web server being released soon so we can start using the IP based streaming or does all that coincide with the problems present? I really don't care much for the App, I am looking forward to the firmware update for the internal web sever.
Sponsored links
Old 04-12-2014, 2:03 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I'll be honest, I'm just as ready for the app to come out as everyone else but I look at it like this - If it takes another 30 days to get the bugs out, so be it. Id rather it work like it's supposed to when it does come out versus dealing with some half-assed version just to please a few people.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:37 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblackphotography View Post
I'll be honest, I'm just as ready for the app to come out as everyone else but I look at it like this - If it takes another 30 days to get the bugs out, so be it. Id rather it work like it's supposed to when it does come out versus dealing with some half-assed version just to please a few people.
Agreed
Old 04-12-2014, 3:16 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; LG-LS720 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvation
My only issue is the P25 decoding issues that got worse with the last firmware. If that gets fixed I will be happy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree. I own a 436 not a 536 but still, p25 performance is way more important to me than an app. What good would the app be if I cant pick up the audio well to begin with? I still say whatever you did with the original firmware in P25 performance, you need to do that again, just with no open squelch issues.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:53 PM

Quote:
True (and I know you can't confirm/deny) but this also has "upper management said we have to release the new scanners NOW while the buzz is so hot" written all over it. Hopefully that person reads this forum. If not, they should. It would be educational for them. I'm sure they won't be around to make the same mistake again if this doesn't get resolved soon.

Heh. Well save some for a nice "I told you so" to the VP who caused all this mess so he has something nice to read as they walk him out.

-AZ
well if they dont get the app out before Whistler releases their new units Uniden is going to lose a few customers then the buzz will be about whistler and the siren app and 536 could fall by the wayside.
Old 04-13-2014, 1:49 AM

Default Security Cameras WIFI and other is what they are really into

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesO View Post
What good does it do to bash Uniden at this point? Will is speed things up? Do not think so. Do I think Uniden should get a free ride here, not really, but I think we need to be careful as this industry is already on rocky footing. Were will be all be when Uniden says that are filing for bankruptcy or their Asian suppliers have a major economic or political issue or there is some major natural disaster? Some may laugh and think I am nuts, but just think about what has happened in the past 5 years around the world.

Bad overall execution and roll out for many reasons.

Uniden is adding a networking option into a platform that has never been networked, they CLEARLY underestimated the amount of effort and the type of staff that was needed for this venture. I am sure someone thought this is simple, put a WiFi dongle on the USB port and that's is all you need.

It is a bit more difficult than this.

Also I believe that Uniden may be up to something else with the network connection for the App, but I will keep my comments to my self as this may be pure speculation. But I expect there may be more to the WiFi dongle than a simple smart phone App??

My 536HP for the most part does what it is supposed to do. Would I like other features and options, sure, but is it stopping me from using the scanner for its main intended purpose, no.

So all we can do is sit, hope and wait. Complaining and bashing does not speed up the process. All it does is insight some of the others on the forum that may not have much restraint.

I wish Uniden all the best for this product and project because I am hopeful they will continue to be successful and have follow up products with additional features. Having a SDR and computer wrapped up is not easy to install in a vehicle or put on the table beside your favorite chair or bedside.
I watched a Video of there two new Big WIgs in Vegas during the CES and all they could talk about was DROPPING there Phones.. and Focusing on SECURITY! They never even talked about the scanner.... in the video anyway... if you look you can find the video.. To me that is what speaks... BUT your right there are up to other things... All I see is talking of Out of town fun and SIlence...?... And yes We are all Waiting. HURRY UP Please LOL

•Beware of the Self-Admiration Experts•............{End of Line}
Closed Thread