Siren App Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
We've progressed to 1.0.2 in beta, and have a very nice looking app coming. That's the good news. The bad news is that there have been some pretty major pains with getting the WiFi module to work reliably with the app. This seems to have been traced down to something that can be resolved with a firmware update to the module, but the module vendor is studying. They hope to resolve this within 30 days.

30 Days!!!

Not too happy about this. But, we are trying to see if we can resolve it through other means while we await that update. If we can, then we'll have the app out much sooner...but I cannot promise a date at this point, only that it will get released.

kellykeeton

sweet - personally I am in no rush.. the delay on the app caused me to buy a handheld unit. rather have the delay then read 3,000 posts about how people are angry at its performance.

JamesO

Thanks for update/progress report.

This will hopefully help manage peoples expectations.

I have been dealing with networking for over 10 years and I know all too well how big a PITA wireless networking drivers and firmware can be.

Anything wireless that Intel releases takes at least 18 months after it has been released to get even close to working correctly, this is after numerous post release driver/firmware updates!

Hope your group is far more proficient and successful than Intel's Wireless Networking Group!

Again, I think the RR board members along with the current and future 536HP owners really appreciate the informative update.

lugnuts

Premium Subscriber
thanks for the update! at least knowing a time frame helps. I want to have something by june 1 and I am holding out for the 536 because I want to mount it in my cars trunk and need the app and need it to work to do so.

Donald Roberts

Premium Subscriber
We've progressed to 1.0.2 in beta, and have a very nice looking app coming. That's the good news. The bad news is that there have been some pretty major pains with getting the WiFi module to work reliably with the app. This seems to have been traced down to something that can be resolved with a firmware update to the module, but the module vendor is studying. They hope to resolve this within 30 days.

30 Days!!!

Not too happy about this. But, we are trying to see if we can resolve it through other means while we await that update. If we can, then we'll have the app out much sooner...but I cannot promise a date at this point, only that it will get released.

thanks for the update

garys

Premium Subscriber
Because I can't leave well enough alone, has there been any thought towards a wired version of Siren? That would be for the 436, since WiFi isn't included with the portable version. I'd like to use a remote, maybe a low end tablet, with my 436 when I'm traveling. It would be a handy way make a temporary mobile when I'm on the road and not in my own truck.

Just a thought because I know you don't have enough to keep you busy.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Any chance some pictures/screen shots can be posted of what you have so far?

Perhaps a YouTube video (if it is working to at least some degree)?

In any event, thanks for passing along the update!

chuck_e7

Premium Subscriber
It would be nice to have a desktop App also. In-house users can use that more than a Cell Phone App.

maansman

Premium Subscriber
For the life of me, I don't know why everyone is so happy about these updates, or results thus far. The fact remains, this scanner was released with a feature that has not been followed through. Many here, including myself, paid $600 or more for this scanner, and it can't do what UNIDEN said it can.

This release is now pushed another 30 days....then from there, who knows....it's just an update in 30 days. I mean, an issue with the WiFi dongle? Shouldn't even the basic of test be performed before you announce such a feature?

Sorry for venting, and actually, it's really not going to help with anything, I just think Uniden should be held accountable for this disastrous rollout of a feature they said would be part of this scanner, hence the $600 price point. If I would have know that the software would not be out until late Spring (probably Summer at thus point, what does it matter), I would have never bought it, and I am sure many others as well.

-Mark

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I just think Uniden should be held accountable for this disastrous rollout of a feature they said would be part of this scanner, hence the $600 price point. If I would have know that the software would not be out until late Spring (probably Summer at thus point, what does it matter), I would have never bought it, and I am sure many others as well.

I imagine I'm morphing this into something more suitable for the tavern section and I apologize. Nevertheless:

Uniden's aren't the only "fingerprints on the knife". There were a lot of us scanner enthusiasts who were nagging Uniden about getting us new scanners not quite a year ago. So I’m sure trying to accommodate our desires for new products was a factor in Uniden’s timeline.

Where my scanner is mounted in my vehicle makes it difficult to get to. Every time I want to change the volume I find myself saying “The Siren App can come anytime now”. But I know unforeseen circumstances happen to everyone, so I’m prepared to give Uniden a break.

I think the improvement in simulcast decode, the ability to do scanner programming via SD card (instead of lugging a computer to the car) and scanning from the master RR database have, so far, offset the aggravation of the app’s delay. In other words, the app was a good selling point for me, but it wasn’t the only selling point.

APSN556

Premium Subscriber
For the life of me, I don't know why everyone is so happy about these updates, or results thus far. The fact remains, this scanner was released with a feature that has not been followed through. Many here, including myself, paid $600 or more for this scanner, and it can't do what UNIDEN said it can.

This release is now pushed another 30 days....then from there, who knows....it's just an update in 30 days. I mean, an issue with the WiFi dongle? Shouldn't even the basic of test be performed before you announce such a feature?

Sorry for venting, and actually, it's really not going to help with anything, I just think Uniden should be held accountable for this disastrous rollout of a feature they said would be part of this scanner, hence the $600 price point. If I would have know that the software would not be out until late Spring (probably Summer at thus point, what does it matter), I would have never bought it, and I am sure many others as well.

-Mark
I agree 100%. Frankly, these "updates" are borderline pointless due to the fact, that previous "updates" were false. I'm not sure what makes this update any more certain than the others. They also said the newest firmware update for the 436HP would be available by the end of March... I agree with you, someone dropped the ball BIG time, and from the sounds of it, STILL IS.

Last edited:

LiquidPandora

-Mark

it was a NOTHING UPDATE!.. SAME STORY NEW MONTH!

LiquidPandora

I agree 100%. Frankly, these "updates" are borderline pointless due to the fact, that previous "updates" were false. I'm not sure what makes this update any more certain than the others. They also said the newest firmware update for the 436HP would be available by the end of March... I agree with you, someone dropped the ball BIG time, and from the sounds of it, STILL IS.

SO TRUE !!!.... :mad:

mrkelso

To tell you the truth, i don't even know what the siren app is for. I just want the front USB port to work the way it is supposed to.

Besides, i don't own a siren that i would want activated. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.