New HP-2 and some Sentinel questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beaquel

I'm happy to have received my HP-2 last week and have been trying to figure things out. I set up my scanner to show my user information (name, address, phone, etc.) but then when I downloaded the latest Radio Reference database into it, I appear to have deleted the user information. I now realize that I should have uploaded from the scanner into Sentinel first, before writing a new DB to the scanner. So now I have the latest and greatest DB in the scanner along with my re-entered user information and I'm trying to read this from the scanner into Sentinel. For whatever reason, I can't figure out how to get back to Mass Storage Mode again so that I can make Sentinel recognize that I have a scanner hooked up to my PC via the USB cable. I've tried hooking up the cable before powering on the scanner, after powering on the scanner, etc. It only seems to want to charge the scanner, or not. What sequence of events do you need to execute in order to get Sentinel to recognize that you want to communicate with your scanner via the USB cable?

Beaquel

I think I solved my problem. I plugged my HP-2 into a different USB port on my laptop and it recognized the mass storage mode right away. I think the port I had tried previously was a high current port and the HP-2 kept thinking I was trying to charge it, not connect to it.

Voyager

I think I solved my problem. I plugged my HP-2 into a different USB port on my laptop and it recognized the mass storage mode right away. I think the port I had tried previously was a high current port and the HP-2 kept thinking I was trying to charge it, not connect to it.

It shouldn't matter - same port should have worked when you plug it in.

Beaquel

I agree that it shouldn't matter. I can only report to you what I observed. Trying a different USB port on my laptop is what fixed the problem. The only difference between the two ports is that the one that worked didn't have a lightning bolt icon above it. I believe HP uses that to indicate if a USB port is high current or not. Nevertheless, I have solved my problem and I'm happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.