Any success under Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommahawk

I think I might be going crazy, but I have seen support for other Uniden scanners, however I don't believe I have found anything for the BCDx36HP series of scanner/receiver. My question: If you have gotten it to work for the X36HP series of scanners, what software did you use, and did you have to do anything special for it to work?

BTW I'm currently running Linux Mint if that helps at all...

Last edited:

nd5y

I don't have a HP series scanner but I installed Sentinel on a Linux box with WINE just to see what would happen and it ran with no problem. I was able to download the database and updates but I don't know if it would communicate with the scanner.

royldean

FYI, I'm attempting to run Sentinel under Ubuntu right now. Sentinel runs fine as a stand alone under Wine, but it doesn't recognize the scanner.... still working through it.

royldean

I just tried the "garmin gps" fix, but no luck:

[ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/com1]

(where ttyUSB0 is replaced by the appropriate text). I can access all of the files on the "USB Drive", I just can access the data through sentinel.... any suggestions from the linux guru's? I haven't used unix since I graduated from college (back in '98), so this is practically new for me.....

nd5y

In order to use ttyUSB0 or any other serial port In any distro based on Ubuntu, you need to add yourself (your user name) to the dialout group. You can do that in the groups settings or check Use modems in your user privileges

royldean

In order to use ttyUSB0 or any other serial port In any distro based on Ubuntu, you need to add yourself (your user name) to the dialout group. You can do that in the groups settings or check Use modems in your user privileges

Hmm.... I can't seem to find that settings location. But I can tell you that the Chrome Extension "Scanner Monitor" connects with the 436 perfectly.

I

ilken

Bcd536hp for sale

I think I might be going crazy, but I have seen support for other Uniden scanners, however I don't believe I have found anything for the BCDx36HP series of scanner/receiver. My question: If you have gotten it to work for the X36HP series of scanners, what software did you use, and did you have to do anything special for it to work?

BTW I'm currently running Linux Mint if that helps at all...

You're not crazy

I've tried Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 10, Debian Jessie, Ubuntu, Kubuntu etc 14 - 16.10....
I've set up a VPN on my home network, on a VPS, on Amazon AWS...
Tried it on my wifes tablet, a Motorola Droid ...
Android emulator...
on Oracle Virtualbox VM...
I know I have spent 80 hours on this minimum...

DOES
NOT
WORK
CORRECTLY
ON
ANYTHING

I am pretty good with perl, python I have the ipv6 cert from HE.NET (got the t-shirt to prove it) so I know its not error on my part
...just many, many problems and disappointments

Does Proscan etc work? I would like to find out for sure before I throw good money after bad
Close to giving up
I see quite a few people saying "IT WORKS" but I suspect they are shills for Uniden or just plain ignorant BECAUSE IT DOES NOT WORK RIGHT
IT DOES NOT WORK RIGHT
IT DOES NOT WORK RIGHT
IT DOES NOT WORK RIGHT
IT DOES NOT WORK RIGHT
IT DOES NOT WORK RIGHT

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Well, I can tell you I'm not paying anyone to post any information on these boards, so that rules out the shills option.

BaldJake

Virtualbox - bummer

The only way I've been able to get my BCD436 to be seen under Mint 17.3 is through Virtualbox. Not a satisfying fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.