Sentinel timeout issue when update master HPDB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emoney250

Maybe this is coincidental, but this issue started when I switched to HughesNet for my internet service. I just checked my speed and it was 28.31 download and 2.15 upload. I have ALREADY tried not using any other internet connected programs on my PC while trying to update my Sentinel HPDB to see if that helped. It did work a couple of times, but is NOT the problem. When I used Spectrum cable internet, I could have several PC internet applications running and Sentinel worked fine. I have restarted my PC, no luck.

Yes, I also get an error when I try to update my firmware. I don't remember exactly what the error is, but it's NOT connecting to the server.

Is it a HughesNet speed issue? Or what else gives?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Hughesnet blocks ftp connections, which Sentinel uses to download database and firmware updates. Do a bit of searching and you will find others with the exact same issue.

Emoney250

I had no idea about this FTP protocol. I would guess that my EZ Scan program does NOT use this as I can download any/all updates with no problem.

Guess I'll contact HughesNet to see what they can do for me.

thanks

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Maybe this is coincidental, but this issue started when I switched to HughesNet for my internet service. I just checked my speed and it was 28.31 download and 2.15 upload. I have ALREADY tried not using any other internet connected programs on my PC while trying to update my Sentinel HPDB to see if that helped. It did work a couple of times, but is NOT the problem. When I used Spectrum cable internet, I could have several PC internet applications running and Sentinel worked fine. I have restarted my PC, no luck.

Yes, I also get an error when I try to update my firmware. I don't remember exactly what the error is, but it's NOT connecting to the server.

Is it a HughesNet speed issue? Or what else gives?

It is definitely an issue with HughesNet, it’s a well known problem. Not so much speed, but the latency in response times.

If you search the forums for HughesNet you will find quite a few instances of similar reports.

hightime

I'm in the same boat as you, with HughesNet. It will update but requires a lot of attempts. I find, if I load a big web page or a u tube video and hit the update tab, Sentinel sometimes will piggyback and update. A lot of attempts tho.
Good luck

Emoney250

I will try the "piggyback" thing. I would really love if someone UPMAN maybe can provide a link to download (at least firmware upgrades) to my PC. I just bought the NXDN key and can't wait to upgrade my scanner.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Your best bet is to take a laptop and go to someplace with public WiFi.

Emoney250

Sentinel update using HughesNet - fix!!

A poster here suggested to try firmware/HPDB updates (using BCDx36 Sentinel software) AT THE SAME TIME as playing a YouTube video. IT WORKED !! Thank you for that suggestion!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.