BCD436HP/BCD536HP: WX Settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpwilson

I've looked through old threads for this but couldn't find the answer for which I'm looking.

I have programmed the SAME FIPS codes into the scanner that I wanted it to monitor. Am I correct that I DO NOT have to turn on the Weather Alert, if the SAME FIPS codes are programmed, and the 436hp will monitor them on the fly.

The reason I ask is that we had a line of severe storms come through my area this evening and I had the WX ALERT turned on and it alarmed for an area for which I had NOT programmed the FIPS codes.

So I guessed that with WX ALERT ON, it will sound the alarm for any alarm the Weather Service sends out that I can hear, but if I leave WX ALERT OFF, it will sound on my programmed SAME FIPS codes only.

It's hard to check this unless you have a storm coming, is the reason I'm asking.

Thanks....and yes I have the Easier to Read Manual, but I don't want to assume anything.

Patrick

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I've looked through old threads for this but couldn't find the answer for which I'm looking.

I have programmed the SAME FIPS codes into the scanner that I wanted it to monitor. Am I correct that I DO NOT have to turn on the Weather Alert, if the SAME FIPS codes are programmed, and the 436hp will monitor them on the fly.

The reason I ask is that we had a line of severe storms come through my area this evening and I had the WX ALERT turned on and it alarmed for an area for which I had NOT programmed the FIPS codes.

So I guessed that with WX ALERT ON, it will sound the alarm for any alarm the Weather Service sends out that I can hear, but if I leave WX ALERT OFF, it will sound on my programmed SAME FIPS codes only.

It's hard to check this unless you have a storm coming, is the reason I'm asking.

Thanks....and yes I have the Easier to Read Manual, but I don't want to assume anything.

Patrick
In the "Weather Alert Only", the scanner will scan the preprogrammed weather frequencies, listening for the 1050Hz alerting tone. This will trigger an alert on the scanner for any broadcasted warning. This is not county specific.
You can also set Weather Priority, so that, while scanning, every five seconds the unit will check the weather frequencies that it can receive, looking for the tone. This, as well, is not county specific.

In order for the radio to only alert for the counties where you programmed FIPS codes, the scanner has to be set for one of the five SAME lists of counties programmed. It cannot scan non-weather channels at the same time, as that might result in it missing one or more of the SAME codes you have programmed.

At home, I use one of my dedicated weather radios. When I'm out & about away from home, I generally have more than one scanner, so in a pinch, I can make one a dedicated 'weather scanner', and use the other(s) to monitor public safety and/or Skywarn frequencies for that region. If severe weather is a possibility in the current forecast, I usually have one of my older scanners, for use as a weather-radio. I already have the SAME lists set up for the areas I am most often in, so I can use the programmed counties rather than anything in a wide region.

mpwilson

I Get It Now

I get it now. The scanner must be monitoring the SAME FIPS I've programmed and nothing else, otherwise I can use the Weather Alert and know I'll hear everything around me.

I looked closely at the settings after your message arrived and I guess what they require makes sense, although I don't understand why they don't have a setting in the WX Alert section that would monitor the FIPS settings every two or three seconds like it does others, but.....

Your explanation was on point and I finally figured out what SET it to monitor the SAME FIPS I wanted to monitor and there's even a ALL FIPS choice.

I have SAME FIPS settings for Central VA and also Henrico and New Kent (my old home county).

Thanks....

It's great to have the RR users to depend on when something just doesn't make sense. Hopefully I'll gain enough knowledge to help someone sometime in the future.

Patrick
W4PW

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
FIPS codes are sent before the 1050Hz tone, and can be as short as a .5 second data burst 3 times. You'd have to interrupt normal reception every second to ensure that you caught the data burst.

mpwilson

Makes Sense

Makes a lot of sense when you explain that. So depending, I might just use WX Alert and forget FIPS except when conditions warrant.

Thanks UPMan!

Now if I can just sell the Whistler 1088 I purchased to compare to the 436, I'll be happy and maybe get a less expensive scanner to have as a backup. Should have kept my 325p2.

Patrick

mule1075

Feed Provider
Makes a lot of sense when you explain that. So depending, I might just use WX Alert and forget FIPS except when conditions warrant.

Thanks UPMan!

Now if I can just sell the Whistler 1088 I purchased to compare to the 436, I'll be happy and maybe get a less expensive scanner to have as a backup. Should have kept my 325p2.

Patrick
Might be slightly off-topic but why not get a dedicated weather radio instead of tying up a somewhat expensive scanner?

mpwilson

WX Radio

"She, who must be obeyed", just reminded me that before we moved 5 years ago, I had a WX radio and it worked too well because it alerted every time the WX people farted. If I remember correctly, the thing goes off with things other than severe weather these days, but I could be in error.

Now if I can just find the box in which it was packed all those years ago, I'll pull it out and see what's what. I also have my ham HT to set up.

Yes, I thought of that too. I like portable and battery operated.

Thanks for your suggestion and it ain't that far off topic, is it?

PatW

Voyager

Newer units have selectable options so you can set the types of alerts for which they will go off. You can even ignore the weekly test.

mpwilson

Hand Held WX

I went to eBay and made an offer on the HT type WX thing. So even "SHE" can run it. :->……Hope she never reads these.

Anyhow thanks for all the help.

PatW

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'm probably venturing down the heresy line, but he goes. . .

Using scanners for weather alerting was a great thing, but I think Wireless Emergency Alerting is showing a lot of promise for that purpose.

smithken

Premium Subscriber
I use a Reecom R-1630 for weather alerts and am very happy with it. I have it set up for 5 counties. I have it ignore certain things like flood watches/warnings since I don't live in a flood prone area. It also recognizes the end of message signal so that I don't have to get up and shut it off after the alert is given, I had a Midland that did not recognize the end of message signal and it drove me nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.