BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Copying An Entire City

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpwilson

I wonder if it's possible to do the following.

I created a Favorites List called "Richmond City"

I then pick Virginia, scroll down to Richmond City and I want to copy the entire listing into the Favorites List called Richmond City. Can't do it. So I go into the Richmond City pick and see three items, Nationwide, Statewide and County Systems. I try to append those to the Richmond City Favorites List, still grayed out. So I go into each of those and it will allow me to Append those to the favorites list, but it will take me forever at that rate.

Is there any way around this? If so, I would like to know. I prefer to stick them all in there and delete things when I want. I'm building my preferences slowly and like doing it this way rather than picking one thing at a time and inserting.

Thanks,

Patrick

phask

Premium Subscriber
Use Edit - add channels on range. You can tweak as needed. Not perfect but a good start.

I wonder if it's possible to do the following.

I created a Favorites List called "Richmond City"

I then pick Virginia, scroll down to Richmond City and I want to copy the entire listing into the Favorites List called Richmond City. Can't do it. So I go into the Richmond City pick and see three items, Nationwide, Statewide and County Systems. I try to append those to the Richmond City Favorites List, still grayed out. So I go into each of those and it will allow me to Append those to the favorites list, but it will take me forever at that rate.

Is there any way around this? If so, I would like to know. I prefer to stick them all in there and delete things when I want. I'm building my preferences slowly and like doing it this way rather than picking one thing at a time and inserting.

Thanks,

Patrick

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Send me a PM with your email addy and I will send you a FL you can work with. I set it up with the STARRS, the local TRS, and a few other things. You can edit and change it as you wish to fit your needs. Only took about.. five or so minutes to create.

Last edited by a moderator:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I know the more often you do something, the easier it is. . .

With that said, I tried creating a Richmond Favorites Lists and was able to import things in just a couple of minutes. Not everything just enough to give me a sense it can be done.

What I did was expand the full database for the Richmond data. The FIRST thing I came across I right mouse clicked and did the Append Favorites List. I did it as a new Favorites List. For the remaining systems, I also right mouse clicked and appended them to that newly created Richmond Favorites List.

This is slightly different than you - where you created the FL, then did the append (import). I did the append (import) as part of creating the FL.

Keep trying - practice will get you there and I think you'll find it won't be that time consuming.

Last edited:

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
As long as your not needing to add NXDN stuff, Sentinel is your friend and not that hard to use once you jump on in. Now until they get the NEW VERSION up and out for us to play with, just have to use ProSCAN to add NXDN. (I am only using Sentinel right now to update Firmware, and pretty much use ProSCAN for everything else.) You can also do things manually, but its a LOT harder to do than back in the days of only 100 or so channels to work with and no AGC and digital settings etc....

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
FWIW,
You can Select more than one system at a time to append to an FL. (New or Existing)
You can right click and Select All. in the Nationwide/Statewide/County Categories.
You can Select or De-Select just the Systems your interested in copying by using the ctrl+click to Add or Subtract that system.

I'm sure there's a better way to explain it, I'm probably not the best teacher.

It takes practice and trial & error but once you get a grasp it becomes simpler.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
You can also click on the folder in the database (Nationwide, Statewide, & County systems. Then, with the list of systems in the folder appearing in the right pane of the display, you can pick & choose specific ones to append by holding down the Control key, <CTRL>, and selecting them individually by clicking with your mouse. Once you've picked your specific systems, then <RIGHT><CLICK> on one of the selected items, and choose Append from the pop-up menu.

mpwilson

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm learning, slowly but surely. When I started as a member or RR, I only downloaded what I wanted and used FreeScan to cut and paste.....man have things changes since then. So now that I'm really interested, I'm learning more and more and how complicated and thankful to have the resources like this to work with.

PatW

marksmith

Keep learning. The more you use Sentinel you will find it does not take much time at all to program a radio.

Ask questions as you did.

We all learn stuff from the many responses that come in.

Mark
536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Just remember, do NOT use Sentinel if you are going to program ANY NXDN.... It does NOT support that yet. Hopefully soon they will release the next update of Sentinel and have it NXDN friendly. Until then, if you have purchased and rolled into the NXDN operations of your scanner, if you are using Sentinel, keep a separated FL with the NXDN on it, and if you update the DB or change anything in the scanner with Sentinel, you can ammend/edit to/from the NXDN FL using ProScan, or ARC536, or some other method.

mpwilson

NXDN and More

I understand about NXDN not being supported yet. Hopefully since they have the hardware update, the software update will soon follow.

I realize now that Sentinel does a lot more that I originally thought and it's pretty flexible. I'm going to use it as long as I can do what I need. I know it's the only one you can use to update the dB and the hardware, so it has to stay on the computer and I was going to purchase a different software, but for now it does what I need and so I'll keep with it.

Lots to learn, but the first thing we new people need to figure out is "What do I want to monitor?". A lot has to do with that and I know at first I want to hear anything I can.....

Now I'm building FL for Fire/EMT only and LawEnforce only and so forth.

Takes time, but it's worth it to FL them on and off.

PatW

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
In the beginning, it can seem like insanity with the technology and such today. Not anything simple about it compared to back when I started in around 1983ish.... Unless your in one of the very few places let that has NO high tech TRSs, digital anything, and is still using only a couple of freqs for everything. (Getting rare indeed to be in those places) As you are seeing, the first step is: What the heck DO I want to monitor? Then comes: What the heck are they USING? Then: What does it take to hear THAT? Then you get the shiny new or slightly used tool/s to monitor with, and a good computer of some kind. Then you find this place and stop pulling out MOST of your hair. Then you learn what your tool/s an do with what YOU WANT to monitor. Then comes the fun where you drive yourself insane, ACTUALLY lining up in a Scan List, Favorites List, System Object/Trunked System Object, etc in the tool/s so you can monitor what you want to. Luckily this site exists and most of us are pretty helpful. Yeah a few of us have gotten old and cranky and so on, but again, most of us are here to try to keep you out of therapy. Isn't this therapy enough? Wellllll,.... Some of us that are truly insane and like to venture into scannology might still need therapy according to the average Joe Scanner... LOL

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
I understand about NXDN not being supported yet. Hopefully since they have the hardware update, the software update will soon follow.

I realize now that Sentinel does a lot more that I originally thought and it's pretty flexible. I'm going to use it as long as I can do what I need. I know it's the only one you can use to update the dB and the hardware, so it has to stay on the computer and I was going to purchase a different software, but for now it does what I need and so I'll keep with it.

Lots to learn, but the first thing we new people need to figure out is "What do I want to monitor?". A lot has to do with that and I know at first I want to hear anything I can.....

Now I'm building FL for Fire/EMT only and LawEnforce only and so forth.

Takes time, but it's worth it to FL them on and off.

PatW

You will still need Sentinel software on your computer as stated above.

However I would highly recommend downloading and trying Proscan software.

It will bring your scanner to life on the computer.
I would say it is the best software out there.

You can try it for free for 30 days

https://www.proscan.org/

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
You will still need Sentinel software on your computer as stated above.

However I would highly recommend downloading and trying Proscan software.

It will bring your scanner to life on the computer.
I would say it is the best software out there.

You can try it for free for 30 days

https://www.proscan.org/
I'll second that opinion about Proscan. Right now I only use Sentinel for firmware upgrades. Proscan added a favorites editor a few releases ago with RRDB capability. Not sure if there's a limitation with the free version but I now use it to program all my x36's. Works great!

Status
Not open for further replies.