RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > The Uniden Tavern

The Uniden Tavern For general chit-chat and non-technical discussion specific to Uniden and does not fall within the above forum topics. This is not the forum to get technical advice from.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2014, 8:38 PM
EMS Dispatcher
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Default 24 hour quick 436 review

Took forever for my 436 to arrive, I got it on Tuesday, on Wednesday Uniden sent me an email with my confirmation and tracking number! So much for keeping a buyer updated.

Anyway......I took it with me to work last night and fired it up. Set the zip code and it gave me everything within about a 150 radius! Even Alabama and I'm just north of Atlanta. Besides that, I was using the stock Uniden antenna. In our comm center, reception inside our building is very limited due to all the electronics in it. I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to pick up both the Atlanta and DeKalb County P25 systems on it! Even on our XTS5000's, we can't pick those systems up in our center! Also, several outlying counties (40-50 miles away) were coming in - a little scratchy, but understandable. I had my BC296D next to it and it was stone deaf on the same frequencies!

Software took me about 45 minutes to comprehend, but now that I have it down, I have my own Favorite list in the scanner and works like a champ.

Only drawback, is you can set the colors for what services you want, but it's just a small light in the speaker area that shows the color - I was hoping it would be the display.

/
\/\|k.e

EMS Dispatcher/EMD Certified
http://icanhasdriverslicense.com
Sponsored links

Old 03-05-2014, 9:13 PM
FL, GA, AL, MS Admin
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Database Admin

Default 24 hour quick 436 review

How did the Atlanta system sound on the 436 compared to your other scanners? I'll be back up in the area in the middle of the month and can't wait to try it out.
Old 03-05-2014, 9:19 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I was shocked also when I was picking up digital transmissions from 40 miles away on just the stock rubber duck antenna in my house. The analog signals aren't as strong though I've noticed.
Old 03-06-2014, 6:57 AM

I just got a 536 yesterday from Gigaparts in Huntsville, AL. I've had the radio going non-stop since I got home with it, and haven't noticed any issues at all so far. It took a little bit to get used to using Sentinel, but it wasn't too bad.

As mentioned, the reception on this model is outstanding, even when using just the included telescopic antenna. Once I hooked it up to my outside discone antenna, which is mounted about 25 feet high, I was hearing radio traffic from almost 100 miles away.

One of the most impressive things I've noticed so far is how good the digital sounds on the MSWIN system on this radio. My other digital radio is a Pro197, which sounds good on the same system, but occasionally some traffic will have a bit of a robotic sound when receiving digital. I have not noticed it at all on the 536. In fact, it sounds so good on the MSWIN system that it's hard to tell it from analog. So far, I am completely impressed with the 536.
Old 03-06-2014, 7:52 AM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

When conditions are right I've been able to capture signals in Chicago 90 miles from my location. It can be an issue at times also, such as an overloading NOAA signal mixing with a DX station, but it's interesting that the reception is much better than the 996 on my 536.
MARC ID:3126326
Sponsored links
Old 03-07-2014, 12:00 AM
EMS Dispatcher
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Database Admin

The Atlanta DTRS sounds great as always! Of all the DTRS in the metro Atlanta area, they have the best sounding!

/
\/\|k.e

EMS Dispatcher/EMD Certified
http://icanhasdriverslicense.com
Old 03-07-2014, 10:47 AM
FL, GA, AL, MS Admin
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by b7spectra View Post
The Atlanta DTRS sounds great as always! Of all the DTRS in the metro Atlanta area, they have the best sounding!
Good to know. Thanks.