Show appreciation for Upman thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weathernet

I thought it might be nice to have a thread showing your appreciation of Upman,,,Paul has done with regards to the new scanners.
I know there has been occasional posts within threads that show this but thought a specific thread to this affect might be nice.
Please no negative comments here is all I ask.
So if you appreciate what Upman does please post it here, lets show him how much his hard work is noticed.
Tim

Last edited:

lep

Keep up the good work, the new firmware helps my 436. Look forward to more, hope uniden will decide to send a rep to Dayton where many of your customers cocregate each May.

county

Premium Subscriber
+1.
Agreed. I think he does great work in paying attention to the important customer needs. He's a class act too.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
You know...he does go above and beyond being here. For those who get annoyed at being do called beta testers...who better than true scanner hobbyists? Yes we paid good money but Uniden does do their best to make us happy. So Paul, thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
All of the above and then some. I've met and worked with Paul personally in the past, and he's a great guy who absolutely knows his stuff when it comes to scanners and scanning. His remarkable restraint in the face of outright slander against him and his employer lately only serves to underscore what a class act he is.

Allow me to take this opportunity to publicly thank Paul for his many years of outstanding contributions to our hobby. Thank you, Paul for all that you do.

-AZ

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Appreciated, guys, thanks right back at ya. But, to the anti-fanboys :) I really don't mind fair criticism of our products or processes. Had you not complained, I would have not known that you were not getting UPS notifications. Had you not complained, I would not have known to tell the engineers that there was still an issue with long squelch tails (something we killed several times in beta only to have it recur sporadically). Complaints are my main ammunition for getting things changed. So don't stop (well, maybe take a day or two off every once in a while...I need a break every now and then, even if it only a false sense of completion).

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Upman does an awesome job. Posting when he can regarding specific issues, keeping everyone in the loop, when he can, about the happenings at Uniden, and the hard work to give us all the best possible product.

Lets not forget Upman's co-workers. They have all done a fine job.

Thank you Upman, and Uniden. I can't wait to see what you folks come up with next!

K8LEA

Paul:

If I don't get any free samples, I'll be very upset :D....

Seriously, good job! Your assistance is appreciated, even if my BCD396XT has the worlds worst belt clip....

I'm a volunteer administrator on another site, and I know how deep it gets sometimes. I really appreciate it when folks like yourself are available and willing to put up with some of the BS that goes with the job. I get paid about 1397 Electrons Per Month. That about pays for the period at the end of this sentence :D . Hope Uniden is doing better with you - you certainly deserve it.

I'm mostly retired, so staying awake is my primary problem, not to mention Sammy the JRT. He thinks he's a 200# Rott. And the Attack Cats, one of whom is afraid of himself, and the other one who's likely to appear anywhere at about any time. Like when I had the back off the Family Room TV and guess who wanted to walk around inside.... And, not to mention my wife (who thinks that the click of a keyboard means I want her to ask me what color her shirt should be today), or my daughter (who provided the four-legged associates).

But I'm not bored.... :D

Keep it up, Paul, and again, thanks!

Regards,

Essexscan

Seriously, I think you and your crew did a great job on a new series of scanners, problems will ALWAYS creep up with anything electronic and new. Remember years ago with an older scanner/radio you were basically stuck with most if not all of the problems as they could not be programmed with new firmware or ICs in the field. Luckily with new hardware comes the ability to field upgrade and we should be happy for that alone

I think there should be a problem form sticky to fill out setup so any real complaints or reports can be looked at-verified then see who else has them. I think it would stop a lot of the back and forth and we could really see if a problem exists
It would be a help to everyone Especially You Paul so some would stop writing message after message with the same complaint because they think no one sees it

Just a thought

Essexscan

What kind of company sells you a scanner and it doesn't come with a First Class ticket to Waikiki as a thank you Geez, I'm Disappointed now

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I think this is an excellent opportunity to give praise and credit where credit is due!

I've seen very few product managers responding to people's questions, concerns and comments on weekends and evenings, along with producing "How To" videos on his own time. I believe Upman bends over backwards to be helpful to us and is due all the appreciation we can give him.

I'm sure there is no one any more disappointed or frustrated when issues arise, than Upman.

Looking at the glass as being half-full, the good news is that there were hiccups in the processing of replacements. The reverse of the "Practice Makes Perfect" theory is applicable. The process at first was kind of funky because of Uniden's inexperience with mass recalls often, and that's a good thing for us.

I just wish the system was such that Upman could hop on the company jet and personally deliver a replacement to me. That way I could buy him dinner and spend some time picking his brain one on one and trying to gain some of his vast knowledge of this product. :p

epilab

Premium Subscriber
Thanks

I have been monitoring public safety from the early 1960's. Technology advancement had made the experience more pleasurable. When a new product hits the market it is expected all the known bugs have been resolved....but not every situation may have been explored. Upman has it all hanging out....and I believe the choice by users is either ride out the issues as the solutions are being addressed or request a refund. Upman is not hiding from the issues but trying to resolve them as fast as possible. He deserves credit for answering as many of the issues as possible.

JamesO

Paul,

You much have Kevlar skin as I know it can be easy to take some of this personally at times, I and others do appreciate your efforts. I know many times it is HARD to get the feedback to the correct place and I think everyone, or almost everyone appreciate your efforts.

Maybe we should move from "complaints" to "observations"!!

What is great about your efforts, you will end up with a far superior product both within the current platform and the future. As user input is VERY valuable.

Once the hardware issues are sorted, the Siren App is released, maybe your crew can circle back around to all the Sentinel software and firmware for both the HP1 and the x36HP to address a number of very small and subtle issues/features that would really set these units apart from the competition.

If your Engineering group does not scan as a hobby, you should give hardware to the Engineers to take home and play with, I am sure the firmware guys might actually come up with some more nifty features if they had a true love for the hobby.

Anyway, appreciate your time, effort and commitment, I would bet at times you have to argue with management like some of the forum members beat you and Uniden up!

ecps92

. +1 .

I thought it might be nice to have a thread showing your appreciation of Upman,,,Paul has done with regards to the new scanners.
I know there has been occasional posts within threads that show this but thought a specific thread to this affect might be nice.
Please no negative comments here is all I ask.
So if you appreciate what Upman does please post it here, lets show him how much his hard work is noticed.
Tim

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Appreciated, guys, thanks right back at ya. But, to the anti-fanboys :) I really don't mind fair criticism of our products or processes. Had you not complained, I would have not known that you were not getting UPS notifications. Had you not complained, I would not have known to tell the engineers that there was still an issue with long squelch tails (something we killed several times in beta only to have it recur sporadically). Complaints are my main ammunition for getting things changed. So don't stop (well, maybe take a day or two off every once in a while...I need a break every now and then, even if it only a false sense of completion).

VALID complaints, are helpful. Baseless, ignorant, speculative and misinformed complaints, coupled with accusations of incompetence however are not. I'm just glad you have a thicker skin that I do and haven't scurried back behind a corporate firewall where you control who posts said complaints and who doesn't. Because I certainly would have, long ago.

I think it's a safe assumption to assume that there are far more people here who understand and appreciate what you're trying to do, versus the overly vocal yet relatively few members here whom you won't be able to please no matter what you do. Once again, thanks.

-AZ

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
This thread is long over due. Nothing is ever perfect at first. I would rather have a radio with a couple of bugs at first that is fixable via firmware, than to have to wait 6 more months. I bought both models and couldn't be happier.

nr2d

Premium Subscriber
UPMan thank you very much for your help the help you provide on Uniden scanners. Your bullet proof vest must be 20" thick. Again thank you.

AC0RV

Feed Provider
I must agree with the others UPMAN does an excellant job. Keep up the excellant work.

I can't wait till my new 439HP comes in and I know UPMAN will be there to help.

Again good work UPMAN.

Status
Not open for further replies.