RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > The Uniden Tavern

The Uniden Tavern For general chit-chat and non-technical discussion specific to Uniden and does not fall within the above forum topics. This is not the forum to get technical advice from.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-23-2014, 12:48 AM

Default UPMan, Are we there yet?

I wonder what's cheaper for Uniden? Refund 536HP owners $100 for vapor ware, or pay up for a class action lawsuit which Uniden will loose if you look at past history on companies doing the same thing Uniden has done - false advertising.

Logitech advertised 'Z-Wave' support for their H1000 TV remote on their webpage and on the retail product box. After a year of no Z-Wave support, a class action lawsuit followed, which Logitech lost and had to replace everyone who requested a remote that supported Z-Wave. The terms of settlement for Uniden would most likely be a partial refund.
Sponsored links
Old 05-23-2014, 1:45 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by durangoGreg View Post
First, I never complained about Paul. I appreciate his comments always.

Second, so you think it is OK for Uniden to continue to post false information on their website about having a Scanner available with WiFi and an iPhone app. All I am saying is that Uniden should at least acknowledge that there is a problem that is going to take a substantial amount of time to fix and state it right up front on their website so that future customers aren't duped. Right now if you go to the website, it doesn't mention one problem and does nothing but highlight the WiFi feature and Siren app. It even states that the app release date is 1Q2014.

Third, I have a F-250 Platinum with a 11" touch screen display in my dash. There is no room under the dash, There is no room in the dash, and there is no room between the seats because of a console. You can't mount above the dash because it opens from the top to access the usb ports and phone storage compartment. There is no place for a scanner that large to be safely mounted, except one (in the arm rest console) or two under the rear seat. I am not exaggerating.

Fourth, I think Uniden will eventually deliver and I can wait, it isn't a big deal. But I would like Uniden to Publicly acknowledge the problem and let prospective customers know in advance. Very few read radio reference and very few know there is any issue until they open the box.
This is why I hit quick reply instead of picking someone's post to reply to. There were a lot of people in the last five pages I had just read through continuing as they had before with bashing Uniden and to a lessor extend Paul. They really went off over Paul's update on the Siren app a couple pages back. That was what I was referring to in no small part. They were whining about him not updating and then having a fit over it when he did update them. Furious at the fact he told them he didn't know when it would be done correctly because lo and behold he doesn't know himself.

As to Uniden and their web site, I don't know. I don't suppose it would hurt if they took that down. Probably just haven't updated it but as I said don't know. My comments were about months of seeing the whining and carrying on that has been done a million times. The problem has been acknowledged and was just updated as a matter of fact. The demands are ridiculous and when they get what they say they want they just go off on a different set of complaints because they don't like what they were told. They can't seem to grasp that they can't have it both ways. They want updates then they can't whine about getting one just because it isn't the one they wanted to hear.

The childish whining, crying, infantile behavior which has permeated this forum for months now is astounding to put it mildly. Its all about they want it they want it now and if they don't get it they throw a tantrum like a two year old. And that is not just applicable to the wifi app but many other things which these people have brought up.

Take a few. Uniden improved the audio with much more professional sounding audio but some people didn't like it. That became a "Defect" that needs immediate fixing according to them. It got so bad I even put my 2 cents in my sig line. (defect, something wrong with it, and other terms for bad)

Or how about the people who insist on using other computer platforms instead of what they're told to use, then have problems? Guess who is at fault and its never them for their idiocy.

The ones who just have to mess with things like the SD card, taking it out, putting it back in, taking it out a million times, using other cards besides the ones that come with it. Guess what? Those who mess with it have problems. Guess who gets blamed? Not them. For the most part those who don't mess with it don't have said problems.

I won't even go into all the "Issues" brought up that Paul/Uniden HAS to fix right this second because its a major flaw in the scanner and then it turns out to be the person not doing something correctly which caused the supposed "Issue". Lord if Uniden had fixed all the "Issues" that had been demanded to be fixed there would have been like a thousand updates by now.

And of course two of my favorites are all the whining about things that people "Think" Uniden should have done which they didn't and are demanding "Fixes" for them to be done as they say it should be. The other is the whining about the scanner not being as good as five thousand dollar Motorola radio.

As to your pick up.

First I'm not up on the newest vehicles. They actually allow tv screens on your dash? Wow. Touch screen at that. I'd take the car back. Hate touch screens, they don't work worth a darn. I have to say though that I've never seen a pick up truck without a lot of room between bottom of dash and floor. I suppose maybe these new miniaturized things now days might not have any room but I've just never seen it. I do know I wouldn't get a new Suburban or even a newer one a few years back when I bought mine because of how small they have made them since 2000.

I think pick ups actually have a higher clearance than my Suburban does on floor to dash room. Even an old 90s Ford Explorer had a large amount of room between the bottom of the dash and the floor. Had a radio shop put in mounts drilled into the floor which stuck up with my radio attached on the end of it. Worked good although didn't have so many as I'm getting now.

I just don't understand how you could not have the room that a pick up truck normally does. I suppose if you don't you don't but it seems really weird. I would think you could put in a radio equipment console in place of the regular one that would meet your needs fine. Check police equipment supply places. Maybe those usb and phone things are taking up room. Why someone needs usb ports in a car or phone storage I don't know but I suppose that's progress. Never stored my phone anywhere as it was always in use.

What I'm wondering is if maybe you've set your car up for other things which now don't leave you any room for mounting stuff rather than the pick up not having any room to do so? May be wrong there but it sounds like you've put a bunch of junk into it thereby sacrificing what you would have had otherwise. Not only that but are you really wanting to hang some type of computer device on your dash to look at the scanner screen? I think that would be extremely distracting and take up room itself. (More so than just the scanner)

As for me I don't want some type of computer device mounted in my vehicle unless I actually mount a laptop vis-a-vis the way cops have it set up. Stand to right of center with laptop on it facing back across middle towards driver. (On passenger side floorboard) Be great for a number of things including on the fly programming for stuff like DMR into a radio amongst other things.

Anyway this is going off topic and wandering so I'll stop here. Its not that Uniden is without fault or that they couldn't have done a few things differently its that the behavior of many is like watching two year olds throw tantrum after tantrum because they don't get their own way. Take a look at all the threads that have been closed on here. Some want to cry censorship but in actuality they were allowed to stay open far longer than they should have been as it was. They were nothing but online whining and tantrums polluting the forum for everyone.

As an example I've been away from site for three days now. I came back and clicked new posts and guess what? Same whining about the same things in a new thread over and over again. "Anybody else seen this problem with this scanner? It doesn't work" then its "Oh, I had it set wrong" after all the hallaballoo about it.

So not sure what else I can say about it. Its never gotten through before and I'm not holding my breath this time either.
Old 05-23-2014, 1:46 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTS3000 View Post
I wonder what's cheaper for Uniden? Refund 536HP owners $100 for vapor ware, or pay up for a class action lawsuit which Uniden will loose if you look at past history on companies doing the same thing Uniden has done - false advertising.

Logitech advertised 'Z-Wave' support for their H1000 TV remote on their webpage and on the retail product box. After a year of no Z-Wave support, a class action lawsuit followed, which Logitech lost and had to replace everyone who requested a remote that supported Z-Wave. The terms of settlement for Uniden would most likely be a partial refund.
Post it a million times, still same answer.

Good luck with that.......
Old 05-23-2014, 1:57 AM

It's interesting to read/view the comments from some of the moderators on these issues.

Because, on one hand, RR probably wouldn't exist as a viable commercial enterprise if it weren't for the likes of the 'auto programming' scanners from Uniden and GRE and the symbiotic commercial relationship that it has spawned. Likewise, Uniden and GRE would not be able to market their 'zip' scanners, if it weren't for RR and the largely volunteer maintained databases that it hosts.

Yet on the other hand, RR also obtains income from subscribers. The same subscribers that in many cases, are not happy with the way they have been treated by certain equipment suppliers.

In other words, RR finds itself in a rather precarious position of having feet in both camps.
And, you know what they say about biting the hand that feeds you!

BCD996XT(x2) - BCD396XT - PSR-600 - Airspy SDR (received & evaluating) - FuncubeDonglePro+ - BCD436HP (for sale!) - amongst others..
Old 05-23-2014, 2:20 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatanchor View Post
It's interesting to read/view the comments from some of the moderators on these issues.

Because, on one hand, RR probably wouldn't exist as a viable commercial enterprise if it weren't for the likes of the 'auto programming' scanners from Uniden and GRE and the symbiotic commercial relationship that it has spawned. Likewise, Uniden and GRE would not be able to market their 'zip' scanners, if it weren't for RR and the largely volunteer maintained databases that it hosts.

Yet on the other hand, RR also obtains income from subscribers. The same subscribers that in many cases, are not happy with the way they have been treated by certain equipment suppliers.

In other words, RR finds itself in a rather precarious position of having feet in both camps.

Well put...
Sponsored links

Old 05-23-2014, 3:55 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default None of you can nor will do anything but complain

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonc182 View Post
Since they clearly owe me, what is a reasonable amount of time to wait?

(from my box)
Wait for what?, what are you going to do?

The answer: Nothing!!!!! except to continue *****ing and moaning like a spoiled little toddler who didn't get his lollipop after his diaper change.

Oh, you guys talk big with the occasional threats of legal action including a class action however, none of you will do a damn thing nor do you have the capacity to do so.

There is nothing to action on, its only been a few months since the products release. And even if you truly believe the crap you post no lawyer would touch this without substantial upfront $ because of the lousy prospect of ever winning a dime.

Get a life and get over it. Sell the damn thing, take your loss, and move on.
Old 05-23-2014, 4:01 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatanchor View Post

They make far more $ from advertisers - learn the business model... So much misinformation - its insane...
Old 05-23-2014, 5:34 AM

Where is all this advertising that you allude to?

I see one small ad for Scannermaster on the home page and nothing at all on the forum pages.
Then again, maybe my adblock software is working better than I had ever imagined

Misinformation? Hmmmm.

BCD996XT(x2) - BCD396XT - PSR-600 - Airspy SDR (received & evaluating) - FuncubeDonglePro+ - BCD436HP (for sale!) - amongst others..
Old 05-23-2014, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bberns22 View Post
Wait for what?, what are you going to do?

The answer: Nothing!!!!! except to continue *****ing and moaning like a spoiled little toddler who didn't get his lollipop after his diaper change.

Oh, you guys talk big with the occasional threats of legal action including a class action however, none of you will do a damn thing nor do you have the capacity to do so.

There is nothing to action on, its only been a few months since the products release. And even if you truly believe the crap you post no lawyer would touch this without substantial upfront $ because of the lousy prospect of ever winning a dime.

Get a life and get over it. Sell the damn thing, take your loss, and move on.
See this is the kind of post I don't understand. This type of post does nothing but enrage those who were mislead.

Of course a class action law suit could be started if Uniden doesn't deliver. You can't go around advertising a product with features that don't exist, selling a product with misleading labeling, deceptive descriptions in the manual, etc. etc at a higher price and not expect to get sued.

Personally, I think Uniden will eventually get this sorted out. But if nothing happens within a year, I guarantee you that a class action suit will be started and Uniden will lose. Just like Logitech lost on the harmony remote and countless others who have lost in class action lawsuits due to false advertising.

The principle reason I rant on this forum is because it is the only way prospective buyers will be made aware that the 536 does not have the features which are touted on Uniden's website. They need to know that the WiFi feature doesn't work and there is no Siren app as advertised and marked on the box.

This is the only forum I know of that gets enough traffic so that the word can be passed on to at least 5 - 10% of the prospective buyers.

Uniden certainly isn't telling the prospective buyers that there is a problem.
Sponsored links
Old 05-23-2014, 3:55 PM

Quote:
See this is the kind of post I don't understand. This type of post does nothing but enrage those who were mislead.

Of course a class action law suit could be started if Uniden doesn't deliver. You can't go around advertising a product with features that don't exist, selling a product with misleading labeling, deceptive descriptions in the manual, etc. etc at a higher price and not expect to get sued.

Personally, I think Uniden will eventually get this sorted out. But if nothing happens within a year, I guarantee you that a class action suit will be started and Uniden will lose. Just like Logitech lost on the harmony remote and countless others who have lost in class action lawsuits due to false advertising.

The principle reason I rant on this forum is because it is the only way prospective buyers will be made aware that the 536 does not have the features which are touted on Uniden's website. They need to know that the WiFi feature doesn't work and there is no Siren app as advertised and marked on the box.

This is the only forum I know of that gets enough traffic so that the word can be passed on to at least 5 - 10% of the prospective buyers.

Uniden certainly isn't telling the prospective buyers that there is a problem.
Amen!

And I would hope the mods don't close another thread because this information is being exposed.
Old 05-23-2014, 6:18 PM
KE4ZNR@radioreference.com
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss View Post
Amen!

And I would hope the mods don't close another thread because this information is being exposed.
For the last damn time there has not been any censorship in the Uniden forums here at RR.com.
And I don't know what you think is being "exposed" or why you think past threads
have been closed for some nefarious reason but no mod has closed threads solely
on the basis of positive/negative info about Uniden.
There is no censorship here and anyone trying to claim otherwise is wrong.
Hell if we closed threads solely based trying to censor complaints this thread
would never have made it to 3 pages.
Marshall KE4ZNR

@KE4ZNR on Twitter
http://instagram.com/KE4ZNR
Old 05-23-2014, 6:31 PM

And UPMan says he needs ammo to get things done within the ranks of the company.

So I think the whining, sniveling children that did not get their lollipops may give UPMan the ammo he needs to pass along.

What Uniden does with the ungrateful complaining children and if the complaints speed up the process will only be known to Uniden and UPMan.

Assume UPMan and others within Uniden understand many are unhappy with the delay.

The real issue is does Uniden have all its eggs in one basket with the dongle manufacturer they chose or are they looking at and working on other options?

WiFi and WiFi dongles are nothing new, there are PLENTY of them out there that work just fine. But even Uniden is at the mercy, as we are, of the dongle vendor getting things done in a timely manner.

I have seen similiar mistakes be made time and time again.

I bet the App guys said we cannot work on the App until with have a working scanner/WiFi platform.

The scanner firmware guys say they cannot sort out the scanner firmware unless they have a working WiFi interface.

The WiFi interface guys are clueless there is a problem as they never use the product they sell.

So we have the old "Who's On First" game!

Where to start with the process??

I have said it before, the Uniden scanner firmware guys are probably not network/TCP/IP guys. They are probably learning as they go. The scanner firmware group should have/would have had to build special test firmware just to vet the WiFi interface and test the TCP/IP connection stability, though put, connection ability and latency.

A wired dongle should have been used for all of the testing on the mules, then the WiFi could have been added in and verified. But I am guessing hindsight is 20/20 at this point.

Since the dongle is USB, it could have been tested even using a Windows machine and these issues should have been apparent a year ago??

Anyway, we have what we have.

General discord, unhappiness and impatience.

Uniden will get their act together at some point, lets just hope they have some contingency plans and the dongle vendor is getting things sorted quickly as well.

We will all just have to wait and see what and when we have something delivered.

Might be that we all get an early Christmas present this year?
Old 05-23-2014, 7:04 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

All you Clown"s should have waited to buy them but you had to be the first one's. So take the good with the bad and let him alone, He is doing the best he can and most likely has a life other than listening to you poor bastards cry. When UPMAN can help he the best. If he needs time or it takes a while he is no good.

Last edited by MikeOxlong; 05-25-2014 at 1:28 PM.. Reason: Cleaned up language
Old 05-23-2014, 7:46 PM

Default UPMan, Are we there yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hundeesport412 View Post
All you Clown"s should have waited to buy them but you had to be the first one's. So take the good with the bad and let him alone, He is doing the best he can and most likely has a life other than listening to you poor bastards cry. When UPMAN can help he the best. If he needs time or it takes a while he is no good.

Man RR needs a like button!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by MikeOxlong; 05-25-2014 at 1:29 PM.. Reason: Cleaned up language
Old 05-23-2014, 8:02 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Where did this idea of charging more for the 536 because of the wifi app come from? Just curious as I never even thought of that being a reason nor have I seen anybody from Uniden anywhere say the higher price was because of that. Many probably don't even give a rat's a$$ about this thingy.

I just thought it was because it was a base/mobile vs handheld. Plus being a new state of the art scanner caused a higher price. Just like a handheld costs less than a mobile radio does.

You all think you can win a lawsuit, have at it, and I'll sit back laughing. Just not going to happen even if you think it will. Also keep in mind no matter how many people try to re-invent history Uniden said the scanner did not have the thing when they released the scanner. So people knew it coming in and now cry about it not being there. They cry about it not meeting the 1st quarter estimate even though it was an estimate not a guarantee. They cry about about not getting updates to suit them and then cry about the updates not being what they want to hear. They cry about imaginary problems with the scanner when it is them with the problem 99% of the time. They cry about things with the scanner that can't be a problem with the scanner or Uniden or anything Uniden has done.

Finally they cry and expect support because they can't deal with life and understand such old time concepts as sh*t happens or all change isn't necessarily bad. That last is big considering I don't like change but think the changes in the 436 are great. They are impatient, lack understanding and overly dramatize tiny little items into huge issues that just don't exist.

Sound familiar? Yep describes a young child perfectly with the operative word being "Cry"

Finally I'll say what I have said before which has proven to be the case.

No matter how much you cry and whine about the stupid thing it isn't going to accomplish a damn thing except annoy people other than Uniden. It'll get here when it gets here. Uniden will release it when they are darn good and ready to do so and not before.

So what's the point?

None.......None since this started, none now and none in the future.

BTW
The scanners work great and do so without this thingy so you got what you paid for. A receiver able to listen to over the air unencrypted radio signals.
Sponsored links
Old 05-23-2014, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghstwolf62 View Post
Where did this idea of charging more for the 536 because of the wifi app come from? Just curious as I never even thought of that being a reason nor have I seen anybody from Uniden anywhere say the higher price was because of that. Many probably don't even give a rat's a$$ about this thingy.

BTW
The scanners work great and do so without this thingy so you got what you paid for. A receiver able to listen to over the air unencrypted radio signals.
Why do you keep posting the same misinformation?

Have you even looked at Uniden's website, have you seen the BCD536HP box on display at a vendor?

Nowhere, I repeat, nowhere does it say that the app is not working and that the WIFi dongle is not working.

The website does clearly state over and over how great the WiFi feature is, it lists the Siren App and it lists it's features. If you read the entire site, nowhere does it state there is any issue. The only people who know there is a problem are 1) the people who bought the scanner expecting to find a functional WiFi dongle and app and 2) the people who were lucky enough to read threads like these that inform the prospective buyer.

No one wants to have to go through a class action suit and everyone expects Uniden to follow through because they have to. If they don't , they will be sued, and they will lose.

We already know that you don't mind paying more for a scanner without WiFi. However the WiFi feature is the primary selling feature, not a minor feature as you suggest, and half of the people buying a 536 wouldn't be buying if they knew there was not going to eventually be a functioning WiFi dongle and Siren App.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:57 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:

However the WiFi feature is the primary selling feature
Quote:

half of the people buying a 536 wouldn't be buying if they knew there was not going to eventually be a functioning WiFi dongle and Siren App.
Can you post links to specific facts that support your claim on these 2 points? Or are they just guesses on your part?

Old 05-23-2014, 11:17 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

I think they were just guesses because I bought primarily for P25 Phase II and secondly for the discovery and recording features.

While I was reading through this thread I'm thinking " Man, that guy's a heart attack waiting to happen" Some people totally lack discretion and it shows big time.

It is scary how obsessive some members are in this community.
Old 05-24-2014, 3:21 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mciupa View Post

While I was reading through this thread I'm thinking " Man, that guy's a heart attack waiting to happen" Some people totally lack discretion and it shows big time.

It is scary how obsessive some members are in this community.
Are you talking about the guy that said this?:

"All you A$$ Clown"s should have waited to buy them but you had to be the first one's."

I didn't buy a 536 because I knew the app wasn't ready and that was the only reason I wanted the radio, but I bought a 436 because the Uniden video promoted the 436 having a analyze feature like the HPE, but I haven't see a peep about this so I'm assuming it's not gonna happen. To me this feature set it apart from the PSR-800. For me the PSR-800 does everything better then the 436.

Last edited by airwolfbell222; 05-24-2014 at 3:29 AM..
Old 05-24-2014, 5:45 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

My frustration is with the lack of communication from Uniden. I realize that as many have said, "s... happens." Happens every day in life. But lawsuits, give me a break (a repeat from my post about 3 months ago somewhere). Do you think any lawyer is going to take such a case, and if they do, are you all ready to "pony" up hundreds of dollars to retain legal service. Do you think any lawyer is his/her right mind would do this on a contingency basis because of potential big bucks!
Does anyone seriously think there is anything to gain with talk about class action lawsuits.
But your honor, "I couldn't use my I-PAD to control the trunking stations." Your honor, "I couldn't tell if the control channel was strong enough to decode P25." Am I being facetious, certainly. I am not trying to belittle the frustration of many on this RR list, including myself, who has vented frustration. But lawsuits.
The only ones who will lose will be the scanning community. Could a class action lawsuit be won, I doubt it, but if a suit was indeed filed, it would take years to go through the courts, yet it might only take a few weeks for Uniden to announce, gee, we have a problem with our Vietnam factory, and we're out of the scanner business. Thank you for your patronage over the years.
I don't know about Whistler, but if I was in their corporate office, I would be monitoring all these threads and really have to think about "do we really need this s...?" In fact, I'll be someone is.
I should probably listen to myself and stop complaining myself. But I would never dream of lawsuits for 500 and 600 dollar scanners. It really sounds ludicrous.

Steve AA6IO