UPMan, Are we there yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

durangoGreg

I hate to start another one of these threads but I can't help it. It has been more than a month since we last heard about the status of the Siren App and associated WiFi dongle.

Please UPMan gives a sign. Are we 1 week out, 1 month out, 1 quarter year out, 1 half year out, or 1 year out from having a functional Siren App.

Being optimistic I bought a mobile external antenna for my truck. I also have a clean power supply and mounting bracket waiting nicely for my BCD536HP. Of course since all of this is under my rear seat with my IC-7000, I can't use it until I get the siren remote head setup on my iPhone blutoothed to my stereo system.

LiquidPandora

I hate to start another one of these threads but I can't help it. It has been more than a month since we last heard about the status of the Siren App and associated WiFi dongle.

Please UPMan gives a sign. Are we 1 week out, 1 month out, 1 quarter year out, 1 half year out, or 1 year out from having a functional Siren App.

Being optimistic I bought a mobile external antenna for my truck. I also have a clean power supply and mounting bracket waiting nicely for my BCD536HP. Of course since all of this is under my rear seat with my IC-7000, I can't use it until I get the siren remote head setup on my iPhone blutoothed to my stereo system.

he has such a busy social life... if he was to comment I would fall off my Chair.

SR-71

Premium Subscriber
He's probability at Dayton Hamvention this weekend. I wouldn't expect to hear from him until next week at the earliest.

lugnuts

Premium Subscriber
I gave up on buying a 536. without that app and being able to use a remote head I would have the same problem as you.

maybe in a year I will concider buying a 536 if the app ever comes but by then Whistlers new scanners will be out and I will be looking at those as well.

mrkelso

I gave up on buying a 536. without that app and being able to use a remote head I would have the same problem as you.

maybe in a year I will concider buying a 536 if the app ever comes but by then Whistlers new scanners will be out and I will be looking at those as well.

I believe they will rework the 536 and come out with a better model free of all the faults the current model has.

LiquidPandora

He's probability at Dayton Hamvention this weekend. I wouldn't expect to hear from him until next week at the earliest.

Such a Heavy Burden of Travel, Food, Sights and Glory.. Not to Mention the Ego of being the only person at Uniden that can setup a Tent... We all my have our Priorities... And we must assume that he is doing a Great job with is.

zzzhopperzzz

Upman's Continuing Search for Answers...

I have to wonder if Uniden is in a dilemma over Network vrs Bluetooth.. I just bought a V1 radar detector that has just implemented Bluetooth technology. I can Bluetooth the very display to my Iphone.. Maybe that would be a more sensible first stage development for the 536 scanner. Then they could build networking from the phone, instead of the scanner unit.. If Mike Valentine can do it, I'm sure that Uniden can.. (Not that Mike isn't brilliant, by any means)..

phask

Premium Subscriber
I have to wonder if Uniden is in a dilemma over Network vrs Bluetooth.. I just bought a V1 radar detector that has just implemented Bluetooth technology. I can Bluetooth the very display to my Iphone.. Maybe that would be a more sensible first stage development for the 536 scanner. Then they could build networking from the phone, instead of the scanner unit.. If Mike Valentine can do it, I'm sure that Uniden can.. (Not that Mike isn't brilliant, by any means)..

Already been answered as to why not - search for the answer.

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber

I would bet that he's not there to promote the Siren App or Analyze Mode. Maybe we will get a time lapse video of him setting up the tent .

wk5h

Premium Subscriber
Bluetooth is great, as long as you're within bluetooth distance of the radio. For people like me who want set the radio on a desk, and be able to listen to it from the living room, at work, or around town... going bluetooth instead of IP would be disappointing.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I'm not sure if you guys have been to Dayton before but Uniden never has a presence there. I doubt Paul attended and I doubt Uniden made any announcements there.

Hulca

Its great to see a DB Admin asking for update responses from Uniden (APPS, Firmware, features, etc..). I stopped asking because I am only a customer.

durangoGreg

Should have gone with your first instinct.

Problem is I would really like to know. I don't mind waiting for a product to finish if I at least get a hint that they are making progress. The hard part about this wait is that we have no idea of the current status.

We got an original estimate that it would be ready upon initial release of the Radio. Then that was changed to 1st Qtr 2014. After that deadline passed, UPMan posted that it was more like another 30 days but he was hoping for sooner. Now that 30 days has gone and went and we have no idea if this app is any closer to finish than when we originally purchased our radios.

The only reason I went with the 536 over the 436 was due to WiFi connectivity and the iPhone App. I wasn't even aware that the app wasn't ready until I opened up the box and found no software. I am going on vacation in 2 weeks and I wanted to have the radio mounted in my truck. The only location is in the rear seat tool box and I was expecting to use the iPhone app as a remote head, Well now I am stuck with a base only radio because it is too big to be used as a portable handheld.

I like the radio and it works great but it's missing most of the features for which I paid the extra money. If Uniden has run into an insurmountable roadblock in producing a product as advertised I would like to know. Rather than just waiting forever for an app that isn't going to come.

kma371

QRT
I hate to start another one of these threads but....

Then why do it? How many locked threads are we gonna have to go through?

Biggest question is, when Paul has had something to say...hasn't he said it? Short answer is yes. He will let us know when it's done. Can't you guys just be patient? All these threads are getting a bit annoying.

wm8s

Premium Subscriber
On December 9 of last year, I purchased a scanner with the following claim: "The second innovation is WiFi connectivity. Now you listen to and control your scanner using your smartphone or tablet from anywhere!" My scanner shipped January 24. Why are we not entitled to be openly disappointed at the fact that, or allowed to continue to demand an up-to-date explanation for why, FOUR MONTHS have passed, yet my $600 investment still cannot deliver on one of its two "innovations" (one that happened to have been critical to my purchasing decision)?

SR-71

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure if you guys have been to Dayton before but Uniden never has a presence there. I doubt Paul attended and I doubt Uniden made any announcements there.

Been there a few times. Those times they did have a booth (however small and not in the main hall it was). I can't speak to this year since I didn't go. I was speculating based on quite a few years ago past presence.

Status
Not open for further replies.