You know what would be handy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VE3RADIO

So my regional municipality is building a new P25 system.. it would be great if I could remote control it from work and log the new talkgroups being added..

maybe one day when hell freezes over we will see the app that was promised.

It really makes me mad because I knew about the system long before the scanner came out and was planning on using this scanner specially for the new system to analyze it and to receive it from work (work is too far to hear without streaming)

I have always been annoyed that the app was not out yet.. however I am starting to actually feel ripped off and stolen from as I paid an extra 100 dollars for the advertised non-existing features.

Paul.. I want 100 dollars back.. and when you keep up your end of the deal I will buy the app. And for all the uniden flag men.. the app is advertised on the box.. I might open a complaint with the BBB if I don't get a partial refund.

dkf435

Well I keep pushing back my time frame for buying the 536 and 436 if this keeps up I just may have a PSR-900 before the Uniden. Phase II radio.

They are getting ready to light up the new system here and may have to upgrade my other 2 Home Patrols with the Extreme Upgrade for logging.

David Kb7uns

VE3RADIO

Dont give uniden another penny until they keep up their end of the deal. Use a free program like unitrunker.. i am making do with unitrunker but it really sucks that i cant actually monitor the voice traffic.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
What a train wreck this whole app thing has turned out to be. And the really sad part about it is the fact that it's completely out of Uniden's control at this point. The dongle manufacturer screwed up and Uniden's waiting on them (still) to make it right.

What can be done? Could another dongle be used instead, such as a Belkin or D-Link USB WiFi adapter? Maybe it's time for the community to take matters into their own hands here. If the software wizards that haunt this forum can create things like DSD, Unitrunker, SDR plugins, FreeScan and countless other amazing programs, then this app/dongle problem should be an easy one for this community to solve.

What say you Paul? Turn us loose on this! I think all that's needed is a push in the right direction, i.e. "these dongles might work" and I'm certain someone on this forum could make it happen. I would try to write something myself if I had a 536 to play with, but I opted for the handheld instead.

-AZ

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Dont give uniden another penny until they keep up their end of the deal. Use a free program like unitrunker.. i am making do with unitrunker but it really sucks that i cant actually monitor the voice traffic.

Another alternative for now (not ideal, I realize) might be to just let the scanner record the system all day while you're at work, then review the recordings when you get home to identify the new talkgroups. If I recall correctly, I think someone on this forum wrote a "viewer" for the audio files that lets you see what the scanner tagged each recording with. You should be able to find it if you do a search. Again, not optimal or ideal, but better than nothing.

-AZ

I might open a complaint with the BBB if I don't get a partial refund.

Im surprised their has not been discussion of a class action suit yet..Maybe the threat of litigation will light a fire under their fruit-of-the-looms....
Any attorneys on RR looking to make a few bucks?

Still happy I decided to go with the 396XT & 996XT rather than put out the same stacks of cash on the new line.And kept my GRE800!

JamesO

$3.21 each, if you committed to 100-500 they would likely be under $2.00??

USB 2 0 to Fast Ethernet 10 100 RJ45 Network LAN Adapter Card Dongle 100MB | eBay

This is what Uniden should have done in the beginning anyway and their development team should have used a hardwired interface for all the App work. This way the Apps would all be completed LONG ago.

The Apps have nothing to do with the interface on the radio and a hardwired interface required a LOT less firmware coding and work.

I say Uniden needs to open their wallets and get wired interfaces out to all the 536HP owners along with the firmware update to allow the hardwired interface to work.

If owners REALLY need Wifi, then they can use a $50 router with 3rd party firmware that will work ALL day long on a wireless network. This external router will be configured as a Client or an Access Point and could even be run from 12 Volts from a car if needed. I am sure there may be other WiFi options as well, but I know this solution will work, I use these ALL the time and they are rock solid.

Then Uniden can work out the WiFi dongle issues and send the firmware update out if and when ever they get is sorted out.

Then the 536 would be able to operate EITHER on a wired or wireless USB interface to meet what ever the requirement is for the end user.

I really hate to say is this way, but Uniden needs to get their heads out of their backsides, suck it up and deliver a hardwired option.

Even if they did not want to pony up the $2 per interface + shipping, I am sure most 536HP owners would likely pay between $5-$10 for a wired interface that works to get this issue off the table and in the end users hands!!

So Uniden, how about taking this challenge on? Think a bit outside the box and take care of the customers.

BTW, my last prediction was we would not see the Wifi fully implemented before July and I think I may win on this prediction??

Last edited:
AZScanner....

I totally get and agree with your point,But The new UNI's were sold with the promise of the feature.
they got their radios to market and left a lot of people hanging in the wind..How many buyers never visited RR until they had an issue,either the 3.5mm jack or the promised APP..Sure,the wizards on RR could
probably get something rolling..But why should they..Maybe UNIDEN should offer a reward,Like a handheld and base unit for the one who can get an aftermarket dongle to be compatible..But seems like all thats being heard is crickets...Oh and the blame being passed on...

Last time I checked,,UNIDEN's name was on the face plate..

Side note,,Im surprised Whistler has dropped the ball as far as getting the phase2 radio to market..Seems If they remade the 800 with a full keypad they would make a killing in this
arena.

troymail

Silent Key
Another alternative for now (not ideal, I realize) might be to just let the scanner record the system all day while you're at work, then review the recordings when you get home to identify the new talkgroups. If I recall correctly, I think someone on this forum wrote a "viewer" for the audio files that lets you see what the scanner tagged each recording with. You should be able to find it if you do a search. Again, not optimal or ideal, but better than nothing.

-AZ

FWIW - I do this on a regular basis - but I will tell you that it is a PITA trying to review the recordings. I can provide more details but I'll leave it there for now.

I still much prefer using my PSR800 and EZSCAN to record and then review -- much cleaner/smoother.

Another reason my x36 units are mostly "on the sidelines"

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
What a train wreck this whole app thing has turned out to be. And the really sad part about it is the fact that it's completely out of Uniden's control at this point. The dongle manufacturer screwed up and Uniden's waiting on them (still) to make it right.

What can be done? Could another dongle be used instead, such as a Belkin or D-Link USB WiFi adapter? Maybe it's time for the community to take matters into their own hands here. If the software wizards that haunt this forum can create things like DSD, Unitrunker, SDR plugins, FreeScan and countless other amazing programs, then this app/dongle problem should be an easy one for this community to solve.

What say you Paul? Turn us loose on this! I think all that's needed is a push in the right direction, i.e. "these dongles might work" and I'm certain someone on this forum could make it happen. I would try to write something myself if I had a 536 to play with, but I opted for the handheld instead.

-AZ

Your finally coming around brother????? LOL
Im surprised their has not been discussion of a class action suit yet..Maybe the threat of litigation will light a fire under their fruit-of-the-looms....
Any attorneys on RR looking to make a few bucks?

Still happy I decided to go with the 396XT & 996XT rather than put out the same stacks of cash on the new line.And kept my GRE800!

It has been mentioned and no one finds it bad enough to start one. I tried along with a few other people to wake folk's up around here but, all we were met with was attitude and MORE deception from the uppers.

Do not worry everyone. When you are done waiting and waiting for Undone to come through with an actual feasible ANSWER most of us will be playing with the new Whistler products! Then most of us will be like Undone who?????

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Wi-Fi and Analyze

Don't forget the Analyze function. It too seems to be forgotten. I don't understand how the Analyze function and the Wi-Fi app could be talked about before launch and 6 months later neither are released.

The excuse for Wi-Fi is the dongle. What;s the excuse for the Analyze function?

It seems neither were even started at launch. What about the second firmware Paul said was coming in March. Did he mean March 2015?

-AZ

mule1075

Feed Provider
Paul's silence is just deafening! I vote for 100 dollar refund
Good luck on the refund highly unlikely. As for Paul's silence well we all know we will hear from him when and or if he is able to give any info.And if and when he does we will have another bunch of why does it do this and why does it not do that so on and so forth threads that will be pretty much as useless as this one. Good Luck on your refund though I was just thinking out loud.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Paul's silence is just deafening! I vote for 100 dollar refund

Uniden would be smart and refund all owners of the new radios $150.00, stop any more work on these radios, admit nothing else can/will be done, cut there losses and move on to build a new radio that actually ships with promised features. Otherwise, a class action (probably coming soon) would probably put them out of business. I could live with this radio the way it is IF I did get a $150 refund.

SCPD

QRT
You guys and your talk of class action suit - - unbelievable.

You got that right. Let's see, clog up the courts with frivolous lawsuits, Lawyers get a ton of money and the consumer maybe $25.00 or a gift card. Good case for Judge Judy!.

VE3RADIO

Why is that unbelievable? We paid for something that was not delivered as promised.. that is what the entire small claims court system was made for.. a class action just means a ton of people got screwed.. i could take uniden to court in ontario (small claims) for this and would probably win.. all i would have to do is bring the box... the judge wont care if deep in the corners of the hobbiest internet it was disclosed to a small group of people that it wouldnt be out until x date... its right on the box. Would I waste my time? Probably not... but if it does not get released or they cant work out the bugs with the Chinese vendor i might... and if ask for a 100% refund and given the amiunt of time that has been passed i would probably win.

Boatanchor

Why is that unbelievable? We paid for something that was not delivered as promised.. that is what the entire small claims court system was made for.. a class action just means a ton of people got screwed.. i could take uniden to court in ontario (small claims) for this and would probably win.. all i would have to do is bring the box... the judge wont care if deep in the corners of the hobbiest internet it was disclosed to a small group of people that it wouldnt be out until x date... its right on the box. Would I waste my time? Probably not... but if it does not get released or they cant work out the bugs with the Chinese vendor i might... and if ask for a 100% refund and given the amiunt of time that has been passed i would probably win.

∆∆∆ This is probably right ∆∆∆

It would be pretty hard for a judge to find otherwise since it's written on every product packaging.
Not only that but the Uniden web site was only changed recently to say the features are now "coming soon" instead of first q2014.

And, if you look at a current ad like the one on HRO, its easy to see how or why someone could get really pissed off when they receive their new 'Flagship' scanner in the mail and find that many of the cutting edge features listed simply don't exist!

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-012897

Probably the best you could hope for is to force Uniden to provide a full refund to those unhappy owners that want to return the product and maybe amend the packaging/advertising to reflect reality.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.