Any Class Action on False Advertizing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ve2fet

Just wondering if there’s any layer looking into a potential Class Action regarding the false advising/missing functionality about the BDC536HP, Siren, WIFI, Internet, etc... ? Just asking.
Thanks.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I get it. You're frustrated like many of us, but do you think a "lawyer" would be interested in a class action case when Uniden is actively working on the problem? I'm sure UPMan would love to flip a switch and fix all the problems, after all he can't lose any more hair over it, just a lot of sleep and some grumpy customers.

I'm pretty happy with my 436 and 536, eventual bug fixes and firmware changes and additions would be gravy, IMHO.

But, that's what the tavern is for. Spill your frustrations, I'll just be listening to my x36HP's. :twisted:

lowboy654

DB Admin Member
Database Admin
I own the HP-1,436 and the 536. I will just say that my GRE-500 and the 600 are my everyday scanners I run my feed with a PRO-96 becouse my 97 after years of use died, I turn the other three on about every three weeks just to keep them updated and thats it. I am on my 3rd 536, due to problems with the units.

JamesO

There is not likely any Class Action suit and I hope there will not be one. Nobody but the lawyers win in a Class Action suit. We would be lucky to get a $50 coupon off our next Uniden purchase.

I have a 436 & 536 HP along with a whole bunch of other scanners.

I have use my 436HP almost daily, my 536HP is on 24/7. Overall they work reasonably well, I am patiently waiting for an update on features. Might not make July, we will hope for Sept.

Maybe if it all falls apart these features will be here on the Q1 anniversary? Time will tell.

mrkelso

Just google class action and you will be presented with thousands of choices if that is what you want to do.

XTS3000

The class action lawsuit brought against Logitech for 1 missing feature (Z-Wave) was settled and Logitech had to replace anyone with a H1000 remote ($300) with a brand new remote that retails for more than the H1000 did.

Sometimes class action lawsuits are brought against companies to punish the company for its bad behavior like lying to their customers, and/or falsely advertising their product to gain an unfair advantage against their competition.

So let's see, Uniden lied about
1) wifi capabilities
2) MANY advanced features

I think we all can agree Uniden rushed the x36HP line of scanners to beat Whistler to the finish line. The first batches of 536's had a major headphone issue, which required everyone to send them back. Further proof they were rushed out the door was their stock firmware was unusable for the most part on many systems throughout the country.

What about the people who specifically bought the 536HP for its wifi and siren app? They can't return their scanners for a refund now. What about the people who upgraded to the 436HP specifically for its analyze feature?

A class action lawsuit is coming soon if Uniden doesn't get off it's a55 and deliver what was promised and advertised. Trust me, there are tons of lawyers that would take on a class action lawsuit against Uniden in a heartbeat. Yes, lawyers generally are scum, but it's sounding like they may be needed.

Uniden need to fess up NOW and be completely honest with its customers. Give us the option to send these faulty, half functioning scanners back to them for a full refund. That's the only way I can see a class action lawsuit averted at this point in time. Uniden needs to be held accountable for this mess THEY created.

Is it that Uniden would rather face a class action lawsuit than hire some decent coders? I guess a lawsuit is cheaper than hiring a few extra people. "Penny wise, dollar foolish" has gotten MANY companies in legal trouble. Look at GM, they saved $0.37 on each ignition, only to have to spend $10's billion on fines and lawsuits. R.J. Reynolds lied to its customers and just lost another lawsuit for 36 billion dollars.

If you bought a new car and the speedometer and gas gage didn't work for 7 months with no fix in sight, would you want your money back? Sooner or later people get sick and tired of false promises and lies.

I bet if the "extreme" features of the x36HP were a paid upgrade option, Uniden would have had it up and going for sale in February.

Time to fess up Uniden and stop lying to us. Your reputation is on the line with many.

whsbuss

Haven't visited for a while. So glad I decided to return my 536 a week after I got it. Man, what a mess!

bberns22

A class action lawsuit is coming soon if Uniden doesn't get off it's a55 and deliver what was promised and advertised. Trust me, there are tons of lawyers that would take on a class action lawsuit against Uniden in a heartbeat. Yes, lawyers generally are scum, but it's sounding like they may be needed.

No it's not, guaranteed 100% will not happen.

mrkelso

How would you word a request to a lawyer for a class action suit? What has the company done wrong?

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
So the lawyers get Uniden to refund you the purchase price of the scanner, then turn around and take 40%... and you are left with a waste of time and energy... Yea... Sounds like lots of fun...

Not to mention the lawsuit needs to certified to become class action... What is the moral of the story? Wait to buy, until missing, but promised, features are added.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
End well this thread will not.

Personally, I would be mad if I bought that scanner and didn't get what I paid for after many months. I wonder what the problem is?

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Premium Subscriber
I bought my initial 536HP knowing that the Siren app was non-existent and that the whole Wi-Fi dongle thing was an unmitigated disaster, but since that's not what I purchased it for (and then purchased another one), I don't give a hairy rat's behind about the missing features. If Uniden eventually releases them, cool, and if not, also cool.

As always, YMMV.

:D

phask

Premium Subscriber
Since you are in Canada - any started in the US or vice versa would have no relief.

Just wondering if there’s any layer looking into a potential Class Action regarding the false advising/missing functionality about the BDC536HP, Siren, WIFI, Internet, etc... ? Just asking.
Thanks.

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
Class Action Suit?

I visit this forum daily to read the comments regarding the x36HP scanners. Since I made this acquisition, I agree an expensive one at that, I try to learn from others experiences they've encountered with these radios. For me, the x36HP scanners are very complex as compared to our older BC780XLT' and BC898T scanners. A different ballgame as I know it. I've learned a great deal about this scanner from this forum and come to think of it as an amazing piece to technology. I love mine, as a matter of fact I bought two 536's.

For those disgrunteled about the siren app & WiFi Dongle, I believe Uniden will find a solution and deliver the finished product. Talk of Class Action Suits will only be a distraction for Uniden, and possibly take revenues from research and development and use them for defense. See how long it takes to finish the project during litigation.

As a point of view, I see this market ie (scanners) as a very limited market, even though you and I would find it hard to believe! This is not like the auto industry or even cellular industry. Not much demand, not many manufacturers in the industry. Years ago Uniden shared the spotlight with Regency, Radio Shack, Lafayette Electronics and a couple others. Scanners of yesteryear were simpler and easier to build. Today like all other technology the ladder keeps raising and it must be difficult to keep up with.

Rather than knock a well known company like Uniden, whom definitely makes quality products, we should support them and keep them strong. I think they'll be around a lot longer than you or I.

DeadMike

The Uniden BCD536HP is overall a fine scanner. Was what was promised delivered? No. Fact.

Will it be delivered? Maybe.

Those that are unhappy should have IMMEDIATELY returned their item. That would have spoke volumes. More so than complaining on an Internet forum.

You want to put some salt in the azz of a vendor? Vote with your wallet.

Personally I'm pretty happy with my BCD536HP. It's my 5th uniden scanner.

I'll be back. LOL

VE3RADIO

The Uniden BCD536HP is overall a fine scanner. Was what was promised delivered? No. Fact.

Will it be delivered? Maybe.

Those that are unhappy should have IMMEDIATELY returned their item. That would have spoke volumes. More so than complaining on an Internet forum.

You want to put some salt in the azz of a vendor? Vote with your wallet.

Personally I'm pretty happy with my BCD536HP. It's my 5th uniden scanner.

I'll be back. LOL

Returning the item immediately is not a fair shake as Uniden promised it was just weeks away.. so what happens.. people get hope up and wait.. and then its too late to return the POS.

DeadMike

Returning the item immediately is not a fair shake as Uniden promised it was just weeks away.. so what happens.. people get hope up and wait.. and then its too late to return the POS.

I hear ya, and that's what has Uniden on the line.

If they fail to come through they will have a mass exodus with their customer base.

mrkelso

I hear ya, and that's what has Uniden on the line.

If they fail to come through they will have a mass exodus with their customer base.

IMHO no there will not be a mass exodus, in fact if Uniden were to come out with a newer model to take the place of the 536, everyone would flock to spend their hard earned money to buy it. It's human nature.

mancow

Database Admin
IMHO no there will not be a mass exodus, in fact if Uniden were to come out with a newer model to take the place of the 536, everyone would flock to spend their hard earned money to buy it. It's human nature.

I wouldn't and that's the first time I can say that as I have always been one to get the latest unit immediately no matter what. Not anymore.

Sdr is where it's at anyway. The old discriminator chip way of doing things is over. I'm taking my chances on those products now.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
So Opitz doesn't post updates to the Siren App/WiFi non-existent VAPORWARE issue because there is nothing new to report. When was his last posting on this issue? And more importantly, what did he say? Any explanation of why the app is taking so long to be perfected? All I can glean from other peoples comments is there is a problem with the dongle, a hardware issue they are trying to correct with software. But come on, the problem has been around for better than 6 months now and all I get is "coming soon". Opitz hasn't given any input as to how they are progressing in some time now. But that's not to say he base to kept busy helping others on Yahoo Groups such as BCD396XT, answering inane questions such as where do I find local trunked system listings? That tells me he isn't all that busy. Fielding questions the group's members could easily handle but not finding the time to post updates about the Siren App just makes the issue more contentious. So what if he has nothing new to add. Just say that and include a brief description of the problem and what they are currently doing to fix it. Or is that too hard to do? What's the matter Opitz? Legal tell you to shut up? Waiting for class action lawsuits?

Status
Not open for further replies.