RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > The Uniden Tavern

The Uniden Tavern For general chit-chat and non-technical discussion specific to Uniden and does not fall within the above forum topics. This is not the forum to get technical advice from.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-18-2014, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyC View Post
Maybe my understanding of the wifi function in this scanner is wrong, but I wasn't aware this wifi stuff was gonna turn this into a super scanner.
I mean you can already setup a streaming client and stream your scanner to a server to be heard in an area that is out of its reception range and it doesn't take a 536HP to do it. I thought the wifi would allow connection of the scanner to your local wifi for control purposes over that wifi??
You are just as confused as all of us since it is not here. My understanding from the video Paul posted almost a year ago is that you will be able to control your scanner from anywhere (obviously subject to both having internet connection).

I agree with the OP that Paul providing him to a "update" that just basically says no update is quite rude. The August 1 update was nothing more than a legal CYA. It appears their lawyers are trying to skirt around the "false advertisement" legality by saying we are working on it.

And the last thing, I have yet to jump in any "536 is great" thread and bash the poster of that thread. Meanwhile, several fan boys seem to always want in and say "Uniden can do no wrong" in threads upset over missing features that were listed on the box the day of sale and promised to be coming Quarter 1 for months on their website. It makes no sense to me that if Uniden is so great why you even bother reading the threads about siren or analyze. The rest of us who bought it for just that are not happy. You are. Go to your own Happy thread.
Old 08-18-2014, 9:43 PM

And here we all are again saying the same things we all have hashed out before. Bottom line if you like the scanners fine if you feel you got hosed that is all good also.About the refund highly unlikely so as has been said before when and or if a update is coming we will know about it here 1st.So I give it a day before another thread like this pops up and the results will be the same a bunch of blowhards including me wasting each others time with the same question and answer period. Kinda fun sometimes reminds me of kindergarten.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:48 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyC View Post
Maybe my understanding of the wifi function in this scanner is wrong, but I wasn't aware this wifi stuff was gonna turn this into a super scanner.
I mean you can already setup a streaming client and stream your scanner to a server to be heard in an area that is out of its reception range and it doesn't take a 536HP to do it. I thought the wifi would allow connection of the scanner to your local wifi for control purposes over that wifi??
I want to run a private stream that I can control.. its illegal to stream in Canada.. although some do it I dont want to run a foul by making the information available... this scanner was supposed to help me do that.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:52 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

What be cool if we can get the FM/NFM p25 fix so I don't have to switch systems from NFM to FM
Old 08-18-2014, 11:22 PM

I think Uniden/Paul owes the community a monthly update moving forward, next update expected Sept 1. I would hope if would be a bit more informative than we are sorry things are delayed and we are working on the App and other scanner features.

These monthly update should help those whom currently own the x36HP products as well as those currently considering a future purchase of the x36HP products.

Silence and lack of information is just rather rude and disrespectful to the current owners and prospective purchasers.

Personally as this point I am very disappointed, but I plan on staying a bit more docile until Jan 2015 when a 1 year delay would be rather ridiculous and Uniden BETTER be bringing some alternate solutions to the table such as a working hardwired interface, working Siren Apps and Analyze Feature so we can ALL get moving using the "advertised" features these products were supposed to support.

This along with FULLY WORKING AGC along with a White Paper EXPLAINING, DOCUMENTING how the AGC should be configured, how it works along with SPECIFIC EXAMPLES AND some YouTube Videos showing/demonstrating that the AGC actually works on these radios. Expect the same on the x96X/T series as well.

As far as I can tell the AGC is nothing but vaporware on these radios and does not work until it can be EXPLAINED and DEMONSTRATED.

Yes, I feel that AGC is ANOTHER undelivered/non working feature on these x36HP radios.

Last edited by JamesO; 08-18-2014 at 11:41 PM..
Sponsored links

Old 08-18-2014, 11:32 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Well this thread moved fast. It also defeated what I'm trying to accomplish. That is... tolerance & patience. I just don't see how battling back & forth on the threads is going to make anything better. That's all. We deal with enough negative crap all day... Then we can come here & insult each other? That will not change a darn thing... It won't.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeuser View Post
Well this thread moved fast. It also defeated what I'm trying to accomplish. That is... tolerance & patience. I just don't see how battling back & forth on the threads is going to make anything better. That's all. We deal with enough negative crap all day... Then we can come here & insult each other? That will not change a darn thing... It won't.
Its been the pattern ever since February or March. Someone starts a thread asking for an update, UPMan gives it or doesn't, the folks b!TcH back and forth about their disapproval, the thread gets closed as going back and forth and accomplishing nothing constructive and a week later someone starts a new one. Same question(s), same players, same gripes, same ending. Rinse and repeat.
Old 08-19-2014, 1:02 AM

Maybe we should start a pool.

Pick the date you think Uniden will deliver a fully working Siren App with a reliable WiFi interface, and the firmware is updated with promised Analyze feature. Closest prediction to the actual date wins. I don't know what the prize would be. Maybe we could get an unbiased sponsor to kick in a decent base antenna as a prize.

I'll start.

May 13th, 2015.
Old 08-19-2014, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WZ1 View Post
Just because you are getting what you wanted out of the scanner does not mean that others should not get what they want out of it.. or in fact paid for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kycophpd View Post
I agree with the OP that Paul providing him to a "update" that just basically says no update is quite rude. The August 1 update was nothing more than a legal CYA. It appears their lawyers are trying to skirt around the "false advertisement" legality by saying we are working on it.

And the last thing, I have yet to jump in any "536 is great" thread and bash the poster of that thread. Meanwhile, several fan boys seem to always want in and say "Uniden can do no wrong" in threads upset over missing features that were listed on the box the day of sale and promised to be coming Quarter 1 for months on their website. It makes no sense to me that if Uniden is so great why you even bother reading the threads about siren or analyze. The rest of us who bought it for just that are not happy. You are. Go to your own Happy thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesO View Post
I think Uniden/Paul owes the community a monthly update moving forward, next update expected Sept 1. I would hope if would be a bit more informative than we are sorry things are delayed and we are working on the App and other scanner features.

These monthly update should help those whom currently own the x36HP products as well as those currently considering a future purchase of the x36HP products.

Silence and lack of information is just rather rude and disrespectful to the current owners and prospective purchasers.
I have to second you 3. I know for me meaningful regular updates would please me

Why should we take a loss by selling now when we are not at fault?

I have both x36hp they seem to work fine other than the missing features I like them and use them every day.

Last edited by omrail; 08-19-2014 at 3:20 AM..
Sponsored links

Old 08-19-2014, 3:40 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Ok I'm a little confused by this wi-fi option. Does this mean that you need to have a wi-fi connection for this to work. I read the owners manual online and it seems you need to be near a wi-fi router or smartphone or laptop. My only questions is if you can use a smart phone doesnt that violate most cellphone companies policies on using the internet connection on the phone to connect a third party device? Am I mistaken and read the manual wrong on pages 33-34? And what does this analyze feature do?
Old 08-19-2014, 3:49 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Ok disregard my last post I found the answer while researching it more and I'm a little perplexed that this would use your home internet service and allow to you access it from a laptop or smartphone when your away. Having worked in the internet industry I've never heard of a system that can do this nor can I find anything that remotely comes close so is Uniden trying to be a trend setter. Now onto my next point I asked a friend who is a computer science professor with a phd in the field if this is possible and he said depending on the ISP. My ISP if you leave your computer on and don't use it the dsl connection will go into sleep mode so data isn't transferred. They do this because some customers have limited data plans. I remember 15 years ago while working for a ISP if they detected a piggybacked device( a non computer or server) then they disconnected you, do ISPs still do that?
Old 08-19-2014, 5:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominbelfast View Post
Ok disregard my last post I found the answer while researching it more and I'm a little perplexed that this would use your home internet service and allow to you access it from a laptop or smartphone when your away. Having worked in the internet industry I've never heard of a system that can do this nor can I find anything that remotely comes close so is Uniden trying to be a trend setter. Now onto my next point I asked a friend who is a computer science professor with a phd in the field if this is possible and he said depending on the ISP. My ISP if you leave your computer on and don't use it the dsl connection will go into sleep mode so data isn't transferred. They do this because some customers have limited data plans. I remember 15 years ago while working for a ISP if they detected a piggybacked device( a non computer or server) then they disconnected you, do ISPs still do that?
What Uniden is trying to do is not that much of tend setter and it is not that complicated regarding the Internet connection. Using Dynamic DNS or in their case it appears they want to use a centralized server that the scanner point to in order to make a connection between the scanner and App on a portable device. In a direct connection to say your scanner in a mobile environment it would be a simple Ad Hoc wireless connection not requiring or utilizing a router. But I maintain that also providing a hardwired interface would give the end users a far more reliable, stable and flexible platform that would allow used to set up a DECENT router in a mobile environment with more powerful "command scene" connectivity and distance capability for a LAN connection to a scanner in a fixed mobile installation. If Uniden would have gone down this road, at least the Apps would have been working and vetted to some extent and there would have been at least LAN based connectivity that was working at this moment.

Regarding DSL or other "substandard" Internet connection means that some may unfortunately still have to suffer with in this decade, I think you are somewhat thinking of "dial on demand" technology where the ISP connection would drop if there was not active traffic after a period of time. As far as I am aware, this "dial on demand" type of connection, even via DSL has not been regularly used for over 10 years in the US and could easily be circumvented with a properly configured DSL modem and/or router that keeps the ISP connection continuously connected.

There may be some very RURAL and REMOTE locations in the US that may still have some of this "substandard" internet connectivity and my condolence to anyone that does not have real technology available to them. Yes I am spoiled, I have fiber optic Internet connections and my routes take me not far from where I live where about 70% of the world Internet traffic traverses.

No disrespect to your professor friend, but he likely needs to catch up with the times a bit. Things change rather rapidly in the Technology field and 5 years is likely like a generation of development and transformation. Time for him to get out into the field and see what is going on these days!
Old 08-19-2014, 7:44 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

It's nothing new , millions of ip cameras are doing this as are a myriad of internet devices. These range from a thermostat to a refrigerator.

What hole is this professor in?

Quote:
Old 08-19-2014, 9:48 AM

Quote:
I'm a little perplexed that this would use your home internet service and allow to you access it from a laptop or smartphone when your away. Having worked in the internet industry I've never heard of a system that can do this nor can I find anything that remotely comes close
Welcome to the 2000s...

Do a Google search on "internet of things" and "dynamic DNS"

This kind of stuff has been happening for years with refrigerators, TVs, home security systems, IP cameras, home heating/AC thermostats, and all kinds of other stuff. Having a scanner host an internet audio feed is not particularly unique or trendsetting.

If you truly "work in the internet industry" you're sadly behind the times.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:38 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Well I guess we dont need Uniden to be a catalyst for negativity! I'm anxious to see the 536 box pictures, this will help solidify my position.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:41 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeuser View Post
Well I guess we dont need Uniden to be a catalyst for negativity! I'm anxious to see the 536 box pictures, this will help solidify my position.
I Posted them in the other thread.. does not let you post in two places so link is below:

Last edited by WZ1; 08-19-2014 at 12:46 PM..
Old 08-19-2014, 12:44 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

here: Analyze Feature -Will Uniden Accept Returns?

Old 08-22-2014, 5:29 AM

Default Update Please

Why should we all insult each other when there could be a much bigger problem. For example:

Let's say Uniden comes out with siren and analyze and all those promised features next month.(and now this is only an example this may not happen)

So people update their scanners with the latest firmware and these promised features people have been asking for almost a year now have major flaws. Next thing you know your back at square one!

I honestly think that if Uniden rushes to put these features up people are just going to have more problems. We don't Know what's going on behind the scenes at Uniden everyday.

What if Uniden has been testing analyze and siren out and having massive problems that are delaying the release That's all I'm trying to say.

We could all spectacle till the cows come home and that's wont help us.

I really think that people should have a great experience with just about any product. But technology today isn't perfect. My PSR 800 was never perfect I didn't do Phase ll great, so what's a new 436 going to do for me?
But hey at the end of the day nothing is perfect and insulting each other over will just make things worse.....

Last edited by TAC_66; 08-22-2014 at 5:37 AM..
Old 08-22-2014, 6:37 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by durangoGreg View Post
Maybe we should start a pool.

Pick the date you think Uniden will deliver a fully working Siren App with a reliable WiFi interface, and the firmware is updated with promised Analyze feature. Closest prediction to the actual date wins. I don't know what the prize would be. Maybe we could get an unbiased sponsor to kick in a decent base antenna as a prize.

I'll start.

May 13th, 2015.
My guess is they never release it.
Ham Gear: Icom 7000, U82, V82, V8
Old 08-22-2014, 6:43 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Sounds like a new game show "The Date is Right"
OK, I'll say May 13, 3015
Steve AA6IO

I'll start.

May 13th, 2015.[/QUOTE]