RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Uniden Forums > The Uniden Tavern

The Uniden Tavern - For general chit-chat and non-technical discussion specific to Uniden and does not fall within the above forum topics. This is not the forum to get technical advice from.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2014, 9:24 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xray View Post
I highly doubt they manufacture scanners in the US any more than they would their cordless phones - You do know it is a Japanese company and that most things are made in China these days, right ?
I know precisely where they're manufactured as all three of their scanners I've bought have the country of manufacture on them.

My point was they're one of the only scanner providers active today in the U.S.

If we wanna split hairs I suppose we could say Apple isn't a U.S. computer manufacturer.

China and all that stuff.
Sponsored links
Old 11-06-2014, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WQPW689 View Post
I know precisely where they're manufactured as all three of their scanners I've bought have the country of manufacture on them.

If we wanna split hairs I suppose we could say Apple isn't a U.S. computer manufacturer.

Uniden 436 is made in Vietnam.
Old 11-06-2014, 9:53 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
OK. I was looking at the BCD436HP, BCD536HP, and HP-2. But yes, my HP-1 does say Made In China. So, they USED to be made there, but "these days" they are made in Vietnam.
So the HP-2 is also made in Vietnam?
Old 11-06-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray327 View Post
So the HP-2 is also made in Vietnam?
on HP2 written: "made in Vietnam"
Old 11-07-2014, 12:28 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Not to sound like an advocate but.......this is why SDR radio will take over the market if these manufacturers don't watch the quality of their products and lower these crazy prices.

Why spend 100's on something subpar that will need replaced in a couple years when you can do the same thing or better for 20 bucks and have constant updates and improvements?

If I owned a scanner manufacturing company I know that SDR would have me a little worried.
Sponsored links
Old 11-07-2014, 1:01 AM

Quote:

"one of the last major scanner manufacturers left in the US"

Your words not mine, chose them more carefully if you don't want them picked apart.
As far as Apple, not a very valid comparison as they are not owned by Japanese.
Old 11-07-2014, 2:27 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by chekoz77 View Post
Not to sound like an advocate but.......this is why SDR radio will take over the market if these manufacturers don't watch the quality of their products and lower these crazy prices.

Why spend 100's on something subpar that will need replaced in a couple years when you can do the same thing or better for 20 bucks and have constant updates and improvements?

If I owned a scanner manufacturing company I know that SDR would have me a little worried.
What's SDR?
Old 11-07-2014, 2:35 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Uniden Class Action Site | BCDx36HP Owners Unite!

Put your voices together and let's speak to Uniden from a position of unity and strength. It is the only way they will pay attention.
Old 11-07-2014, 6:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray327 View Post
What's SDR?
Software
Defined
Radio

There's a forum for it here. Read it for more info.
Sponsored links
Old 11-07-2014, 8:09 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xray View Post
"one of the last major scanner manufacturers left in the US"

Your words not mine, chose them more carefully if you don't want them picked apart.
As far as Apple, not a very valid comparison as they are not owned by Japanese.
The intent was explained.

You want to go on pontificating on irrelevant tangents, knock yourself out.
Old 11-07-2014, 8:25 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Smile

Quote:

You want to go on pontificating on irrelevant tangents, knock yourself out.
It is the American way!
Old 11-07-2014, 11:32 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by chekoz77 View Post

SDRs are nice, I've played around with them as well as software controlled receivers such as the Icom PCR1000 (which I still have. SDRs are ok for home/base use but lack the convenience and portability of standalone scanners. The '100's' we pay for standalone scanners is for the miniaturization of the circuits and dedicated ASICs, DSP's, etc. I wouldn't want to lug around a computer, SDR receiver and antenna and then have to fumble with a mouse/trackball and keyboard while driving or walking around. I'm a 'grab'n'go' type dude. Even though I've checked out the new all-in-one SDR's they are in the 100's of dollars and who knows what types of quality control/support issues they will have.

With all that said, competition is good. Having multiple options is also good.
Old 11-07-2014, 12:23 PM

Location: Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolderb View Post
SDRs are nice, I've played around with them as well as software controlled receivers such as the Icom PCR1000 (which I still have. SDRs are ok for home/base use but lack the convenience and portability of standalone scanners. The '100's' we pay for standalone scanners is for the miniaturization of the circuits and dedicated ASICs, DSP's, etc. I wouldn't want to lug around a computer, SDR receiver and antenna and then have to fumble with a mouse/trackball and keyboard while driving or walking around. I'm a 'grab'n'go' type dude. Even though I've checked out the new all-in-one SDR's they are in the 100's of dollars and who knows what types of quality control/support issues they will have.

With all that said, competition is good. Having multiple options is also good.
All valid points but I say give it another 6 months tops and we'll have plenty of portable options to choose from. I'm looking at the new Raspberry Pi B, myself. There's a complete, ready-to-run GNU Radio image for it located here: GNU Radio and rtl_sdr on Raspberry Pi ← Gareth Hayes and I'm currently working on creating a virtual machine to try and get OP25 working in a similar environment. My eventual goal is to create a portable version of Luke Berndt's OpenMHZ.com setup that will run on the PI using an Airspy Dongle as the connected radio. If I can get that working, I'll have a P25 DTRS portable monitor that will outperform ANY scanner on our local DTRS, and it should hopefully run less than $350 to put it all together. Assuming all goes well, it'll be the last "digital scanner" I ever need to buy.

-AZ
Old 11-07-2014, 12:30 PM

Good luck...have u started thread? It would be interesting to see the progress and discuss options
Old 11-07-2014, 12:31 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Can I get it in a 4x6 form factor to mobile mount? And survive?

I have not bothered to even try SDR yet - surprising since I have a few extra PC I could use.

Sponsored links
Old 11-07-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbarco View Post
Good luck...have u started thread? It would be interesting to see the progress and discuss options
I'll start a thread for the project once I have the money to invest in the necessary hardware. RIght now with Christmas coming up and having to take a pretty big pay cut just to remain employed, it's just not an option for me at the moment. Hopefully shortly after the new year I'll have some cash to put towards the endeavor.

Once I get VirtualBox happy running Ubuntu and OP25, I'll be happy to put a thread up about that, however. It's a slow day at work today so far (knock on wood) so I've been playing with getting that installed and running while I wait for the weekend to begin. More to come...

-AZ
Old 11-07-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phask View Post
Can I get it in a 4x6 form factor to mobile mount? And survive?

I have not bothered to even try SDR yet - surprising since I have a few extra PC I could use.
The Pi itself is pretty tiny, so I don't see why not. But it's all still theory at this point - I need to see if it's even feasible yet before I spend a bunch of money I don't really have. If I get VirtualBox working to run OP25 though, that will be encouraging. Costs me nothing but time to try it out.

-AZ
Old 11-07-2014, 12:39 PM

The biggest problem with SDR right now is that there is no real integrated solution right now. SDR# isn't that bad, but you still have to install several different software packages designed and built by different dev teams, and then configure them to work together. It's not remotely close to "plug and play". And if you want to do digital trunking, it's orders of magnitude worse. You need:

SDR#
Zadig dirvers for dual dongles
Unitrunker plugin
Virtual Audio Cable
DSD+

And all of these are separate installs and configurations, and it's common for one dev team to make changes that break one or more of the other components.

Once somebody writes a single app that assimilates all of the functionality of a full-featured digital trunking scanner, then Uniden et all will have something to worry about. Until then, SDR will remain a toy for tech nerds.
Old 11-07-2014, 12:41 PM

We're getting off topic - I'll start a new thread over on the SDR forum for this.

-AZ
Old 11-07-2014, 1:00 PM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Oh, here is fine with me.