Upgrading from a BC210 to a BCD396XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

77Impala

I have had the BC210 for about a year but also had one back in the early 90's for about 3 years. The current BC210 is working fine other than it does not have the digital receiving ability.

Not sure what I will do with the BC210 after I receive and get the BCD396XT. I may program more ham radio frequency's into it.

Understand programing can be a bit of a chore on the new unit. I will learn it though.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
That brings back some fond memories of yesteryear.

I'm sure the scanner would still be good for fire dispatch reception and weather reception. If there are still analog frequencies in use in your area, it would be functional, but the volume may be low due to re-banding.

You will experience a big learning curve with the new scanner - everything you knew is pretty much out the window. But most everyone else started out knowing nothing about them at first (I had a time just trying to figure out how to turn it on).

Just be patient and prepare to make some mistakes. There isn't anything you will ruin in the scanner with errant programming. It even has a way of being re-set to factory settings if worst comes to worst.

77Impala

Thanks. Yeah it is receiving local fire and I had the local weather station programmed but removed it since I have a weather radio with SAME programmed into it.

I do like the BC210 during severe weather though with my local storm spotters.

Thanks about the info on lower volume, I have noticed that and thought the scanner amp circuit was showing its age.

I was hoping that there was a slim change of having the new BCD396XT delivered today but appears to not be the case. Tracking is showing that it will be Monday at the earliest, oh well that's life.

This 396 will be my third handheld scanner I have had. My first 2 units were Radio Shack Pro series. Last one I sold in 2007 when my local law enforcement started playing on the digital system. The local PD went totally digital and the others would cut in and out with it, was very annoying to me. Had not been able to upgrade till this year.

77Impala

Oh and my grandfather on my dad's side had an old Uniden with the crystal cans back in the early 80's. I loved watching the scrolling of the little red LED's and the back of switches below them to turn on/off the channels you wanted to hear. I wonder if many of them even work anymore.

77Impala

Yeah I do have the local fire station programed into it. But most of the frequency's are for the ham band storm spotters. I have loved the fact that I get the best weather information from the storm spotters than from the radar.

Just yesterday my daughter called me to let me know what roads not to take in our home town because of several wrecks that she was hearing about on the local ham storm spotter station. Also later yesterday evening I got to hear what our over all snow accumulations were not only for the town but for the north part of the county as well.

Speaking of old scanners my grandfather had Uniden that held ten crystals. I remember listening back in early 80's in Orlando FL. I wonder how many of them are still going. Also thanks for letting me know that the re-banding of the frequencies causing the volume to be lower, I had been wondering if the amp circuit was showing its age since the volume seemed lower than I though it should be.

For programming the BCD396XT I have the freeSCAN program and will learn it.

Last edited:

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
I still have my 210xw in the closet. Was a nice scanner when it was new. Digital changed everything simple on scanners.

77Impala

It is running with the channels I wanted to hear right now. But I did not program to much information into it yet. Found I bought a generic data usb cable and the BCD396XT won't talk to freeSCAN software to fully program it. Adapter from USB to serial port adapter is on its way so I can connect the serial port cable instead.

Did come with more than stated in the ad. Got the NIMH batteries, ,SMA to BNC adapter, cover, belt clip and hand strap. I am glad I ordered a replacement flexible antenna for it though. The previous owner somehow broke the OEM flexible that came with the unit and had electrical taped it back together.

I am happy until then, LOL.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
That brings back some fond memories of yesteryear.

I'm sure the scanner would still be good for fire dispatch reception and weather reception. If there are still analog frequencies in use in your area, it would be functional, but the volume may be low due to re-banding.

Rebanding has nothing to do with reduced volume. That has to do with Narrow FM as opposed to Wide FM (NFM vs WFM or FM)

ActionJackson

Still using my Bearcat 220 and it operates 24/7. Bought my first around 1980 and lasted five years til my son drooled into it through the top antenna hole. Second one still goin' strong !

And 77, welcome to the new Millennium !!

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
BCD396XT does not have USB so, as you found, a straight USB cable does not work (for the benefit of those who read this on a search...I know you know this, now).

77Impala

Got my Uniden USB-1 cable today. And now my BCD396XT is programmed! And that is through Windows 8.1 computer!

Get the Uniden USB-1 cable and follow their instructions from their website on how to load into Windows 8.1 and check/set the com port. Than match those settings in the Freescan program. Worked very nicely.

77Impala

Sold my old Electra/Midland BC-210 to a neighbor. I had quite using the scanning oscillator was interfering with 2 of my other scanner radios. Last I heard he is having a blast. Also trying to get him interested in Ham Radio.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
... that's a great upgrade!... I loved my BC210 in the 70's, still works but don't use it even for conventional stuff as it is not PL tone protected... nice radio... first programmable keypad radio... the Electra BC 101 had tabs and a codebook to program... got one of those in 1974...

Status
Not open for further replies.