HP1 vs HP2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnumforc

I made the jump and bought an HP2 simply to keep up with the future. While we do not presently have any Phase 2 traffic in our county, I am sure with the density of the area we will in the future.

After loading the exact favorites list in both scanners, I seem to notice that the HP1 has better reception than the HP2. Has anyone else noticed that? Same antennas and setup. Same location, even switched side to side to see if there was a difference in position, but no. Just wondering whether I have a defective HP2 or is the HP1 just a faster unit? Thanks.

On another subject, the batteries I received with the HP2 would not fit! I know this sounds insane but the batteries are too long and too large in diameter. I first thought I was crazy, then thought the radio battery compartment had been cast incorrectly, then took a hard look at the batteries and saw they just didn't look right. Got out a set of Lenmar's and viola, they are totally out of spec. Not AA by any stretch of the imagination. Uniden will replace them, with their great customer service. Has anyone else had this happen? Makes me very suspect of these Chinese manufactured batteries, although other batteries made in China have come with all the past Uniden scanners and been perfect performers.

MStep

I made the jump and bought an HP2 simply to keep up with the future. While we do not presently have any Phase 2 traffic in our county, I am sure with the density of the area we will in the future.

After loading the exact favorites list in both scanners, I seem to notice that the HP1 has better reception than the HP2. Has anyone else noticed that? Same antennas and setup. Same location, even switched side to side to see if there was a difference in position, but no. Just wondering whether I have a defective HP2 or is the HP1 just a faster unit? Thanks.

On another subject, the batteries I received with the HP2 would not fit! I know this sounds insane but the batteries are too long and too large in diameter. I first thought I was crazy, then thought the radio battery compartment had been cast incorrectly, then took a hard look at the batteries and saw they just didn't look right. Got out a set of Lenmar's and viola, they are totally out of spec. Not AA by any stretch of the imagination. Uniden will replace them, with their great customer service. Has anyone else had this happen? Makes me very suspect of these Chinese manufactured batteries, although other batteries made in China have come with all the past Uniden scanners and been perfect performers.

I'm here just shaking my head over the battery situation that occurred to you.

Let me ask you regarding your reception issues with the HP2--- do you notice a difference on analog, digital, or both? Not sure I have any suggestions if it's happening on analog, but on digital, it could be firmware related.

I'm a little confused when you said the HP1 might be a "faster" unit--- not sure what you mean by that. If you have the units sitting next to each other and you are monitoring the exact same frequency at the same time, "faster" would not come into play. Sensitivity would. So can you provide a little more information?

Magnumforc

By faster, I meant monitoring the same frequencies at the same time. I would think each unit would scan at the same rate so they would stop on the same frequency at the same time. The HP-2 lags behind the HP-1, in that it misses the same calls a portion of the time and keeps scanning. Once it goes out of sync, it seems it takes awhile to catch back up again. It's an across the board thing, both conventional and analog.

I upgraded the firmware on both units; the HP-1 has the latest version and the HP-2 was checked with the latest upgrades as it came out of the box. Range on both units set to 10 miles, also set both to 5 miles and no difference. Squelch settings identical.

I will have more time to play with them tomorrow afternoon so maybe I can get some better handle on what's happening.

Attaching pic of one of the batteries compared with a 2000 mAh Eneloop to show distorted size. Local shop never saw an odd size like these!

I appreciate all the replies.

Attachments

• Battery 1.JPG
    Battery 1.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 503
  • Battery 2.jpg
    Battery 2.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 515

phask

Premium Subscriber
That looks EXACTLY like the ones that came with my HP2. I'll put some calipers on it tomorrow and compare to a alkaline.

My 325 has the same ones also.

Probably specs online somewhere.

MStep

By faster, I meant monitoring the same frequencies at the same time. I would think each unit would scan at the same rate so they would stop on the same frequency at the same time. The HP-2 lags behind the HP-1, in that it misses the same calls a portion of the time and keeps scanning. Once it goes out of sync, it seems it takes awhile to catch back up again. It's an across the board thing, both conventional and analog.

I upgraded the firmware on both units; the HP-1 has the latest version and the HP-2 was checked with the latest upgrades as it came out of the box. Range on both units set to 10 miles, also set both to 5 miles and no difference. Squelch settings identical.

I will have more time to play with them tomorrow afternoon so maybe I can get some better handle on what's happening.

Attaching pic of one of the batteries compared with a 2000 mAh Eneloop to show distorted size. Local shop never saw an odd size like these!

I appreciate all the replies.

You're mixing up a couple of things here. Forget about scan rates. That could be firmware related, or just minor differences from unit to unit. It's almost impossible to get two units, even of the same type, the scan completely in-sync.

The only way to check "sensitivity" is to take a relatively weak analog station and program that identical frequency into each scanner. Make sure you have the mode set the same--- don't use AM signals, use NFM on both units. Keep the units about 5 feet apart and both in manual mode---- you don't want it scanning for this test. I would also set the squelch to zero on both units so that you hear the background noise when the station is not transmitting. That's because there could be variations in the squelch operation between units.

The result is that the signal should be ABOUT the same readability on both units. If not, try switching the location of the units around. Also try switching the antennas. Although both the HP1 and HP2 use the same antenna, there could be minor variations in manufacture. Don't forget, we are dealing with a company that apparently didn't even send you the right batteries for your unit--- if that's correct, then shame on you (again) Uniden.

Please report back here on your findings.

P.S. I'm a little concerned about the battery situation, and I'm sure that there are others that may be curious about this. Let me ask you a few questions, since I was contemplating the purchase of a couple of these units myself. Are you sure that you did not inadvertently mix up the batteries with some others that you had around the house? If that is not the case, then what dealer did you buy the HP2 unit from? Was this a "new" unit that your purchased, and if so, when you opened it, did it look like it was "factory fresh" and not a repack or restock?

Last edited:

Magnumforc

That looks EXACTLY like the ones that came with my HP2. I'll put some calipers on it tomorrow and compare to a alkaline.

My 325 has the same ones also.

Probably specs online somewhere.

The battery brand was changed from the older ones that came with the HP-1. Still 2300 mAh though, as that seems the maximum size that the HP-1 and 2 will support as far as the factory set charge rate is concerned. (14 hours) No matter since I charge them outside the radio. I never see 2300 mAh anywhere else but sold with these scanners.

Magnumforc

You're mixing up a couple of things here. Forget about scan rates. That could be firmware related, or just minor differences from unit to unit. It's almost impossible to get two units, even of the same type, the scan completely in-sync.

The only way to check "sensitivity" is to take a relatively weak analog station and program that identical frequency into each scanner. Make sure you have the mode set the same--- don't use AM signals, use NFM on both units. Keep the units about 5 feet apart and both in manual mode---- you don't want it scanning for this test. I would also set the squelch to zero on both units so that you hear the background noise when the station is not transmitting. That's because there could be variations in the squelch operation between units.

The result is that the signal should be ABOUT the same readability on both units. If not, try switching the location of the units around. Also try switching the antennas. Although both the HP1 and HP2 use the same antenna, there could be minor variations in manufacture. Don't forget, we are dealing with a company that apparently didn't even send you the right batteries for your unit--- if that's correct, then shame on you (again) Uniden.

P.S. I'm a little concerned about the battery situation, and I'm sure that there are others that may be curious about this. Let me ask you a few questions, since I was contemplating the purchase of a couple of these units myself. Are you sure that you did not inadvertently mix up the batteries with some others that you had around the house? If that is not the case, then what dealer did you buy the HP2 unit from? Was this a "new" unit that your purchased, and if so, when you opened it, did it look like it was "factory fresh" and not a repack or restock?

Thanks, I'll try that and let you know what i find out..

As for the scanner, it cane from Amazon.com and was brand new. Absolutely factory fresh, the box tabs were never pulled out and the batteries were sealed in shrink wrap that had to be cut to free the batteries.Just a strange thing that the batteries were longer and larger around that a standard AA and would not fit in a device that accepts the AA format. Unfortunately,the offshore market seems to have a stranglehold on the rechargeables right now. Even the high cost Li-Po, Li-Ion and other batteries coming from offshore are often so poorly made that they don't last half their rated cycles, or provide 30% rated output. And the counterfeits are hard to distinguish from the good stuff!

In Uniden's defense, their customer service did promise to send me another set of batteries to arrive in about a week. I only hope they fit!

MStep

Thanks, I'll try that and let you know what i find out..

As for the scanner, it cane from Amazon.com and was brand new. Absolutely factory fresh, the box tabs were never pulled out and the batteries were sealed in shrink wrap that had to be cut to free the batteries.Just a strange thing that the batteries were longer and larger around that a standard AA and would not fit in a device that accepts the AA format. Unfortunately,the offshore market seems to have a stranglehold on the rechargeables right now. Even the high cost Li-Po, Li-Ion and other batteries coming from offshore are often so poorly made that they don't last half their rated cycles, or provide 30% rated output. And the counterfeits are hard to distinguish from the good stuff!

In Uniden's defense, their customer service did promise to send me another set of batteries to arrive in about a week. I only hope they fit!

Hopefully, Paul Opitz, who is Uniden's rep on these forums, will take notice of this situation involving the batteries that accompanied your HP2. This may have been an isolated incident, although more likely, a batch of these batteries might have gotten mixed up and are going to start showing up with some of the HP2's that were shipped. I'm certain that others here on the forums who are considering the HP2 will take note and carefully exam what batteries are packed with their units.

Voyager

It might be that the HP-2 is slightly more sensitive, so it sees signals where the HP-1 won't, and it's evaluating those signals for the correct CTCSS/CDCSS/NAC, so that's causing the delay. If that is what is happening, it's because the HP-2 is improved.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I have found my HP-2 to be the best receiver I have ever had over all the previous Unidens I have owned. It picks up transmissions my 996 and 396 couldn't pull in. Also comparing scanners operating next to each other will not result in accurate readings as they can de-sense each other.

I never use batteries that are supplied with a radio. I find that the scannner companies include the cheapest batteries made and I dispose of them first thing. I use high end Sony Eneloop batteries which perform better and last longer.

MStep

It might be that the HP-2 is slightly more sensitive, so it sees signals where the HP-1 won't, and it's evaluating those signals for the correct CTCSS/CDCSS/NAC, so that's causing the delay. If that is what is happening, it's because the HP-2 is improved.

I think that if he just follows the steps that I have outlined, he will be able to determine if the units are in fact similar in sensitivity characteristics. Although it's a non-scientific approach, it's the only method that doesn;t mix apples with oranges--- he was getting involved with scan rates and other issues which really have nothing to do with sensitivity. I believe that most likely he will find the units very similar in reception.

I'm really a bit more curious about the battery situation. I hope it's a VERY isolated situation and that an incorrect batch of batteries did not fall into the mix. Uniden has enough issues going on right now without a bunch of folks getting units with batteries that don't fit.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Measured several AA cells I had laying around. All were within spec.
Can you measure those in your HP that you say are wrong?

(formatting will probably suck.

AA BATTERY Measurements

Length Width
Spec 1.949-1.988 .531 - .571
In HP2 1.982 .565

in 325 1.985 .565
Energizer 1.982 .520
Energizer Rechargeable 1.985 .557
Duracell Rechargeable 1.983 .559

Magnumforc

Measured several AA cells I had laying around. All were within spec.
Can you measure those in your HP that you say are wrong?

(formatting will probably suck.

AA BATTERY Measurements

Length Width
Spec 1.949-1.988 .531 - .571
In HP2 1.982 .565

in 325 1.985 .565
Energizer 1.982 .520
Energizer Rechargeable 1.985 .557
Duracell Rechargeable 1.983 .559

I don't have calipers so I can only do other measurements. The batteries in question measure a full 2 inches in height and over a half inch in diameter. You can see from the pics the difference in size.

I never meant to create a major stir with this, simply to point out the HP-2 was received with defective batteries and that they were very unusual. QC is lacking somewhere, obviously in China where the batteries are manufactured and perhaps in Vietnam or wherever these are being packaged.

As W8RMH stated, perhaps the best idea is never to use the factory batteries and simply consider them a loss when you buy an imported radio? But then again, maybe the original seller should further discount another $25 to make up for the replacements? I don't know but now I am concerned about using the Chinese batteries at all. Back to the Eneloops.

phask

Premium Subscriber
2" - 1.98 is zero difference. If anything, the ones in your pic you referenced are short.

1/2 in dia. would be smaller than spec ...

Magnumforc

2" - 1.98 is zero difference. If anything, the ones in your pic you referenced are short.

1/2 in dia. would be smaller than spec ...

Well, if that were true, then the HP-2 plastic casting would be way out of spec, thus the battery did not fit.

I'm not going to debate why the batteries did not fit the radio. They did not and that's the final answer. You can speculate all you like and beat this to death as you like but the point is that they do not. End of story.

KC2JS

Feed Provider
I was going to post the same question today. I swapped my HP1 for an HP2 in the car and the HP1 defiantly had better reception. The HP2 signals are broken up on channels the HP1 would get full quieting.

Magnumforc

I tried this and even switched antennas back and forth between units. Squelch set to zero, range set to zero as well and then to 5 miles on both. Used local FM 39.8 and 42.8 as well as 868.0375 NFM to see the differences. The HP-1 was definitely more sensitive on both signals, a bit more background noise in the HP-1 than the HP-2. Clarity on the actual signals seemed better on the HP-1, "punching through" the background noise better on transmissions.

I moved the units around, replacing one with the other and the same results. In my humble opinion, the HP-1 was better than the HP-2.

Thanks so much for the guidance!

MStep

.......... I moved the units around, replacing one with the other and the same results. In my humble opinion, the HP-1 was better than the HP-2.

Thanks so much for the guidance!

You will always find some variation in reception, even in samples of the same model. In different models, you may find one is more sensitive on VHF as opposed to UHF, or low band vs VHF. I think the bottom line here is that as long as you were able to detect the signal on both radios, I would say that there is likely nothing wrong with your HP2. In fact, K2JJS also mentioned in this thread that he found his HP1 to be a bit more sensitive as well.

These variations are typical in consumer-grade products. As you climb the ladder into more expensive commercial grade, you will find variations are less typical, but still noticeable, even without special equipment to measure actual sensitivity across different frequency ranges. It's only when you start getting into military grade equipment and above, do these differences become less apparent and can only be measured with equipment designed for that purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.