RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Uniden Forums > The Uniden Tavern

The Uniden Tavern - For general chit-chat and non-technical discussion specific to Uniden and does not fall within the above forum topics. This is not the forum to get technical advice from.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2016, 4:42 PM

Kinda curious why my last post to this thread was removed. Did I violate a rule or something?
Sponsored links
Old 01-13-2016, 2:52 AM

These look great! Keep up the great job and keep us updated, I'll definitely be looking to order a couple!
Old 01-13-2016, 10:30 AM

I just printed one of the first designs and it's so cool. Now I see your updated design - PLEASE let us know when/where you upload the cad file as I'll be wanting one of the new ones - SO COOL! Thanks for your time.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndnihil View Post
Had some time to finish the CAD and print one out. Surface is a bit rough since I'm using a new filament I haven't tuned for, but dimensionally it's spot on. The lettering could stand to be a bit deeper, as it didn't show up too well, and there are 6 cavities on the bottom for weights.

How do I go about getting one of these?! I know its an old thread, hopefully it is still possible.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:47 AM

Hi folks. Thanks for all the messages/emails, and sorry for taking so long to update the thread. I just set up a storefront account on Shapeways and uploaded the model, but the price is ridiculous at $56, and that's without a single penny coming to me.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/BC...top-base-stand

The holes for weights were removed due to wall thickness issues with the Shapeways automated processing. Now that I'm more familiar with Shapeways, I can redesign for their process (SLS vs. the FDM I use here at home), and hopefully bring the cost down and re-introduce the cavities for weights with V3.

I'll leave this version up for anyone who wants one now, but fair warning, I have not purchased one of these through Shapeways, and can not guarantee the fit. Logic says that X number of millimeters is X number of millimeters and it should work fine, but the first run from a different process always provides an unknown element.

I have no ETA for when the redesign will be done, this all hobby stuff I do in my spare time, and I seem to be running short on that these days.

Edit:
3DHubs (supposedly cheaper than Shapeways), just got back to me with their quote. Maybe $56 isn't so bad. I'm starting to think I might need to set up a rack full of printers and change my career path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan from 3DHubs
I took a look at the model you sent over and it looks perfect for SLS, which is a faster and stronger material technology than FDM. Is there a particular reason for making this in Industrial FDM?

We're looking at about $400 for each prototype in production grade SLS. A cheaper alternative would be desktop FDM, which would be about $150 each unit.

Let me know if either of these fit your budget and I can get started on putting a formal quote together for you.

Thanks in advance,
Dan
The cost to do this part in desktop FDM is maybe $20 or so. I haven't done the math, but I know good and well it's not $150.

Last edited by ndnihil; 03-06-2017 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: Updated with 3DHubs correspondance
Sponsored links
Old 03-20-2017, 5:39 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Hi folks. Thanks for all the messages/emails, and sorry for taking so long to update the thread. I just set up a storefront account on Shapeways and uploaded the model, but the price is ridiculous at $56, and that's without a single penny coming to me.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/BC...top-base-stand

The holes for weights were removed due to wall thickness issues with the Shapeways automated processing. Now that I'm more familiar with Shapeways, I can redesign for their process (SLS vs. the FDM I use here at home), and hopefully bring the cost down and re-introduce the cavities for weights with V3.

I'll leave this version up for anyone who wants one now, but fair warning, I have not purchased one of these through Shapeways, and can not guarantee the fit. Logic says that X number of millimeters is X number of millimeters and it should work fine, but the first run from a different process always provides an unknown element.

I have no ETA for when the redesign will be done, this all hobby stuff I do in my spare time, and I seem to be running short on that these days.

Edit:
3DHubs (supposedly cheaper than Shapeways), just got back to me with their quote. Maybe $56 isn't so bad. I'm starting to think I might need to set up a rack full of printers and change my career path.

The cost to do this part in desktop FDM is maybe $20 or so. I haven't done the math, but I know good and well it's not $150.

Order one with the extended delivery for $46.92. I provide feed back once I get it which in about 30 days. Figured it was worth the cheaper price. That price including shipping.
Old 03-20-2017, 7:50 PM

anyone have the file to print your own?
Old 04-21-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Still need to make accommodations for the USB/charging cable and dig out some cavities on the bottom for weights, but it's coming along. Thoughts?
Can you post the STL file for this??
Old 04-22-2017, 11:59 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Please! I would love to get the STL file for this!
HTX-202, MD-380, 3 Baufeng UV-5R
Sponsored links
Old 05-08-2017, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolesnevich View Post
Order one with the extended delivery for $46.92. I provide feed back once I get it which in about 30 days. Figured it was worth the cheaper price. That price including shipping.
Very cool! It seems you and one other person have ordered. I'm very interested to see how it turns out. Have you received it yet? Do you have pictures? I'm guessing it will look better than the one I printed here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfr454 View Post
anyone have the file to print your own?
Quote:
Originally Posted by frazpo View Post
Can you post the STL file for this??
Quote:
Originally Posted by kh6sz View Post
Please! I would love to get the STL file for this!
I don't even have the STL for this anymore. When I started redoing the part for SLS I did a 'make clean' in my working directory, which gets rid of intermediate model formats (STL) and all G-code. The current source model for this is in pieces due to being part way through optimizing for SLS vs. the FDM I use here. The ugly version is still linked in the first post of this thread if you need something immediately.

----
To the grammatically challenged anonymous gentleman who sent me the lovely message implying that I'm "price gouging" and that my colorfully described mother would be disappointed, I have something else you can print to wedge in there with that stick.

To everyone else, here's a screenshot of my current sales on Shapeways to put such suspicion to rest. I wouldn't have even made a second version if it weren't for requests, and I don't do this for profit.
Old 05-08-2017, 2:26 PM

For this to be a commercially viable product, it really needs to be significantly cheaper than a RAM mount. For about $52 you can get a RAM mount setup with a suction cup base and an articulated holder.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0061QO332
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005KWPJ04
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004O8LF26
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QD8Q5Q

Not trying to rain on your parade, just pointing out the current pricing is too high for what it is.
Old 05-08-2017, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwienke View Post
For this to be a commercially viable product, it really needs to be significantly cheaper than a RAM mount. For about $52 you can get a RAM mount setup with a suction cup base and an articulated holder.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0061QO332
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005KWPJ04
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004O8LF26
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QD8Q5Q

Not trying to rain on your parade, just pointing out the current pricing is too high for what it is.
Not once have I even hinted at this being a commercial endeavor. I posted this thread to give something away for free, then people without access to 3D printers expressed interest, so I spent hours of my time to make a better version and listed it at a print service at zero markup. I've even mentioned several times that the "pricing wouldn't be competitive", "the price is ridiculous", etc...

The only thing you're raining on is a thread that you haven't spent much time reading
Old 05-08-2017, 2:52 PM

Even as a hobby or whatever on your part, the point still stands. I'm not accusing you of price gouging; I understand the printing service is setting the price. But unless you can find someplace to make them for less than $47, there are other options that simply make a lot more sense.
Old 05-08-2017, 3:01 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwienke View Post
Even as a hobby or whatever on your part, the point still stands. I'm not accusing you of price gouging; I understand the printing service is setting the price. But unless you can find someplace to make them for less than $47, there are other options that simply make a lot more sense.
None of that stuff you linked to at Amazon is really suitable for a desktop stand though.

As I wrote two years ago in this thread, a metal library book end works quite well...

...but it's not nearly as aesthetic as this printed design.
Old 05-08-2017, 4:17 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I Like it.

The slots for the battery also work good for antennas, giving me a place to store it.

As for the people complaining about the price. It a $600 scanner. Consider how unstable the scanner is paying under 50 to keep it from falling is a good price.

it a solid mount. The only beef I have is due to where I have it. My desk is a glass top desk. So the mount slides like it on glass. Because it is on glass.

I will post some picture next week sometime.
Sponsored links
Old 05-08-2017, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolesnevich View Post
I Like it.

The slots for the battery also work good for antennas, giving me a place to store it.

As for the people complaining about the price. It a $600 scanner. Consider how unstable the scanner is paying under 50 to keep it from falling is a good price.

it a solid mount. The only beef I have is due to where I have it. My desk is a glass top desk. So the mount slides like it on glass. Because it is on glass.

I will post some picture next week sometime.
Glad you like it, and glad it's doing the job.

As for the sliding, I had some adhesive backed non-slip stuff on a similar base for another similarly unstable gadget (handheld oscilloscope), but found that it was more prone to tipping because the base was grabbing, where without the tape it just slides and is less likely to fall over. I ripped the backing off after a near desk to floor fall that was intercepted by my ninja-like reflexes.
Old 05-08-2017, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4GIX View Post
None of that stuff you linked to at Amazon is really suitable for a desktop stand though.
It's worked for me for years. The suction cup attaches to desk or table top, and the finger grip holds the scanner. The other parts connect the suction cup to the finger grip.
Old 05-08-2017, 5:44 PM

Suction cups, even on a RAM mount, can be tricky on anything other than an absolutely smooth surface.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:21 PM

If you can 3D print your own here is a nice alternative:

Uniden BCD436HP stands and mounts by kdpainter - Thingiverse

I printed out the desktop stand with a da Vinci jr 1, I added a Brim for stability during printing, comes out exactly as the picture.

Printed the dash mount stand with added Supports during printing, works but not quite as tidy as the desktop stand.

WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT

Last edited by G7HID; 05-11-2017 at 12:25 PM..
Old 05-11-2017, 1:32 PM

Very NICE!