RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Uniden Forums > The Uniden Tavern

The Uniden Tavern - For general chit-chat and non-technical discussion specific to Uniden and does not fall within the above forum topics. This is not the forum to get technical advice from.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2016, 4:42 PM

Kinda curious why my last post to this thread was removed. Did I violate a rule or something?
Sponsored links
Old 01-13-2016, 2:52 AM

These look great! Keep up the great job and keep us updated, I'll definitely be looking to order a couple!
Old 01-13-2016, 10:30 AM

I just printed one of the first designs and it's so cool. Now I see your updated design - PLEASE let us know when/where you upload the cad file as I'll be wanting one of the new ones - SO COOL! Thanks for your time.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndnihil View Post
Had some time to finish the CAD and print one out. Surface is a bit rough since I'm using a new filament I haven't tuned for, but dimensionally it's spot on. The lettering could stand to be a bit deeper, as it didn't show up too well, and there are 6 cavities on the bottom for weights.

How do I go about getting one of these?! I know its an old thread, hopefully it is still possible.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:47 AM

Hi folks. Thanks for all the messages/emails, and sorry for taking so long to update the thread. I just set up a storefront account on Shapeways and uploaded the model, but the price is ridiculous at $56, and that's without a single penny coming to me.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/BC...top-base-stand

The holes for weights were removed due to wall thickness issues with the Shapeways automated processing. Now that I'm more familiar with Shapeways, I can redesign for their process (SLS vs. the FDM I use here at home), and hopefully bring the cost down and re-introduce the cavities for weights with V3.

I'll leave this version up for anyone who wants one now, but fair warning, I have not purchased one of these through Shapeways, and can not guarantee the fit. Logic says that X number of millimeters is X number of millimeters and it should work fine, but the first run from a different process always provides an unknown element.

I have no ETA for when the redesign will be done, this all hobby stuff I do in my spare time, and I seem to be running short on that these days.

Edit:
3DHubs (supposedly cheaper than Shapeways), just got back to me with their quote. Maybe $56 isn't so bad. I'm starting to think I might need to set up a rack full of printers and change my career path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan from 3DHubs
I took a look at the model you sent over and it looks perfect for SLS, which is a faster and stronger material technology than FDM. Is there a particular reason for making this in Industrial FDM?

We're looking at about $400 for each prototype in production grade SLS. A cheaper alternative would be desktop FDM, which would be about $150 each unit.

Let me know if either of these fit your budget and I can get started on putting a formal quote together for you.

Thanks in advance,
Dan
The cost to do this part in desktop FDM is maybe $20 or so. I haven't done the math, but I know good and well it's not $150.

Last edited by ndnihil; 03-06-2017 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: Updated with 3DHubs correspondance
Sponsored links

Old 03-20-2017, 5:39 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndnihil View Post
Hi folks. Thanks for all the messages/emails, and sorry for taking so long to update the thread. I just set up a storefront account on Shapeways and uploaded the model, but the price is ridiculous at $56, and that's without a single penny coming to me.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/BC...top-base-stand

The holes for weights were removed due to wall thickness issues with the Shapeways automated processing. Now that I'm more familiar with Shapeways, I can redesign for their process (SLS vs. the FDM I use here at home), and hopefully bring the cost down and re-introduce the cavities for weights with V3.

I'll leave this version up for anyone who wants one now, but fair warning, I have not purchased one of these through Shapeways, and can not guarantee the fit. Logic says that X number of millimeters is X number of millimeters and it should work fine, but the first run from a different process always provides an unknown element.

I have no ETA for when the redesign will be done, this all hobby stuff I do in my spare time, and I seem to be running short on that these days.

Edit:
3DHubs (supposedly cheaper than Shapeways), just got back to me with their quote. Maybe $56 isn't so bad. I'm starting to think I might need to set up a rack full of printers and change my career path.

The cost to do this part in desktop FDM is maybe $20 or so. I haven't done the math, but I know good and well it's not $150.

Order one with the extended delivery for $46.92. I provide feed back once I get it which in about 30 days. Figured it was worth the cheaper price. That price including shipping.
Old 03-20-2017, 7:50 PM

anyone have the file to print your own?