DMR Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbord

Premium Subscriber
Recently upgraded my BCD436HP for DMR and wondering about audio quality. Some stations the audio is perfectly clear and on others it's garbled and hard to understand.

Not sure why this is.

Don

troymail

Silent Key
I notice this on P25 TDMA also. Sometimes it just the users but other times I think the scanner loses the signal and tries to approximate the voice or something. I know that doesn't make much sense given it's digital but that's the best way I can describe what I'm hearing.

gary123

A secondary note on DMR is that Moto had several changes to the default audio levels and settings in different firmware releases. Generally once a unit has been programmed the firmware is rarely updated. This means that in many fleets some units will end up using different versions of firmware within the fleet this can cause the poor audio quality many are hearing on certain units in a fleet.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
NYC DEP is like that on the One Voice Network. I listen to them and the HELP trucks on I684. HELP trucks sounds great...DEP Police sound overmodulated. I sometimes wonder if it's the users as well.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I think you're on to something. I monitor a large DMR trunked network (36 sites) and many of the users are on multiple sites. Signal strength seems to be the big factor in the audio getting really loud. The weaker the signal, the louder the processed audio seems.

On another thread, someone suggested changing the threshold to 0. I did that yesterday and today audio processing seemed better and there were fewer sites that were inordinately loud.

I'll do more testing during the week.

I notice this on P25 TDMA also. Sometimes it just the users but other times I think the scanner loses the signal and tries to approximate the voice or something. I know that doesn't make much sense given it's digital but that's the best way I can describe what I'm hearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.