RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Uniden Forums > The Uniden Tavern

The Uniden Tavern - For general chit-chat and non-technical discussion specific to Uniden and does not fall within the above forum topics. This is not the forum to get technical advice from.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2018, 3:04 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubbe View Post
I hope you answered "both". The set time at home to turn it off at night and a timed value if used in car to not drain the battery. Then there's the choice of "one time" or permanent.

/Ubbe
Hey Ubbe , This is what I responded back with.

"To simplify the procedure of AUTO OFF , place it in the MAIN MENU and allow users to enter the time they wish. Also place the POWER ON in MAIN MENU. Even if you put them in the PROGRAM MENU would be fine. Please NOT in the GLOBAL SETTINGS , there are way too many setting already."

I also included that Uniden already has the auto off feature.
Uniden 325P2 - DMR
Sponsored links
Old 01-09-2018, 3:40 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1SQB View Post
That's fine, so then, what has progressed, changed, been updated or improved in the last year or so?
We will find out when Uniden makes their next announcement.
Old 01-09-2018, 3:54 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocDaddy View Post
Still waiting on the Siren App
Still waiting for the advertised "Advanced analysis features of the Home Patrol Extreme"

False and deceptive advertising.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:51 PM

I think that Uniden has decided that the future market for scanners is no longer viable. So their scanner division is on life support... Bare minimum funding and research for any future products or improvements. They have decided REAL profit lies elsewhere in other products and ventures and they see no real need for a large team assigned to scanners and scanner customers... Of which there are fewer of every year that goes by. We scanner enthusiasts are a vanishing breed... And a non-profitable one at that.
Old 01-10-2018, 6:48 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwienke View Post
We will find out when Uniden makes their next announcement.
True, like when they announced the next big thing to come, the 536 and all the things promised with that radio. Hmmm. No thanks. As I posted before, I am up to my neck in Uniden scanners, I don't believe anything anymore from them until it actually manifests itself. Frank's ( K3FS ) post above is a perfect example. Just my opinion.

Manny

Last edited by N1SQB; 01-10-2018 at 6:53 AM..
Sponsored links
Old 01-10-2018, 9:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmack550 View Post
I think that Uniden has decided that the future market for scanners is no longer viable. So their scanner division is on life support... Bare minimum funding and research for any future products or improvements. They have decided REAL profit lies elsewhere in other products and ventures and they see no real need for a large team assigned to scanners and scanner customers... Of which there are fewer of every year that goes by. We scanner enthusiasts are a vanishing breed... And a non-profitable one at that.
Really? You think a company that still makes CB radios and cordless landline telephones sees no future in a market in which they lead? Ha.

This is starting to sound like the kind of talk that was going around the early nineties when trunking began to emerge. The end is near! The end is near!
Old 01-10-2018, 9:43 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ur20v View Post
Really? You think a company that still makes CB radios and cordless landline telephones sees no future in a market in which they lead? Ha.

This is starting to sound like the kind of talk that was going around the early nineties when trunking began to emerge. The end is near! The end is near!
+1.
Old 01-10-2018, 3:56 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ur20v View Post
Or when P25 digital came out in the late 1990s.
Old 01-11-2018, 3:19 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Reply to Uniden's future in scanning

Note....This is my second attempt to send a reply. I spent a good portion of 40mins or so last night writing a reply that for some reason did not get posted after I sent it. I will try again but somewhat edited because I do not have the time I did last night.

I want to agree, for the most part, with dmack550 about his concerns for the scanning hobby. The future "may no longer be viable" is pretty accurate. IMHO it is in part because scanners have become so complicated. Yes, they have to be advanced because of todays radio systems but it almost takes a college course to figure these new scanners out. That is, if you can get the programming cable to work. I hear a lot of frustrations with you guys and gals about that. Also IMHO the new memory card function(s) of the Uniden scanners has also been a thorn in peoples sides. What was wrong with the old memory that we used for decades? It worked fine and never got "corrupted" or failed to work when turning the unit on. I am absolutely sure that sales of the 436 and 536 scanners would have been better had they not had the card problems in the beginning and at times still. I have not and will not buy either scanner because of the memory cards. Again, my opinion and should not be taken as gospel.

As far as putting money into the scanner part of the company I can not speak for Uniden but my guess is they had to come up with a design that would last years. And I guess they did. They just did not sell it well to me. dmack550 also suggested that the "scanner enthusiasts are a vanishing breed". That is true also because scanning has become a complicated hobby. Not that that is bad but it takes the fun (at least some of it) out of listening. Years ago it was simple. Go to Radio Shack, get a crystal, put it in you scanner and bam, you were good. But todays scanners can really turn your hair gray quickly with frustration. It is great that RR is hear to help.

Like I said at the beginning, this is a shorter reply and there is a lot I have left out from last night. I will keep my 396xt by my side (and 996xt) and use them daily like I have for years. I also hope that Uniden comes out with something new, sometime soon? Here is to wishing, right?

Sorry if I stepped on any toes. Just venting and wishing. I do have money to spend, I am not spending it on what Uniden has out right now. (Older units are different. I would buy them up now. And maybe I will, with what's left)

Have a great week.
Old 01-11-2018, 4:07 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanman1958 View Post
The future "may no longer be viable" is pretty accurate. IMHO it is in part because scanners have become so complicated. Yes, they have to be advanced because of todays radio systems but it almost takes a college course to figure these new scanners out. That is, if you can get the programming cable to work. I hear a lot of frustrations with you guys and gals about that.
The x36 scanners use a standard USB cable. The people having programming cable issues are using older scanners that need RS232 cables, which do require drivers, as well as proper configuration of baud rates and such. The newer scanners are actually simpler and more reliable in this regard.

Quote:
Also IMHO the new memory card function(s) of the Uniden scanners has also been a thorn in peoples sides. What was wrong with the old memory that we used for decades? It worked fine and never got "corrupted" or failed to work when turning the unit on.
The old memory system was totally inadequate for large statewide / multi-state trunked systems, which can have dozens of sites and thousands of talkgroups. Also, using "high endurance" SD cards solves the card corruption issue. And you can instantly reprogram the scanner by shutting it down, swapping cards, and turning it back on.
Old 01-11-2018, 4:36 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

If everyone takes a good look at the scanner market, no companies are coming out with anything new for the scanner markets. I have enjoyed the scanner hobby since the mid 1970's and as much as I hate to say it, if I had to make the business decisions for a company that sells scanners, I would put my capital and resources in other technologies. With more departments going with various forms of encryption I don't see any big new scanners coming to the market from any company.
Old 01-12-2018, 7:02 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanman1958 View Post
Note....This is my second attempt to send a reply. I spent a good portion of 40mins or so last night writing a reply that for some reason did not get posted after I sent it. I will try again but somewhat edited because I do not have the time I did last night.

I want to agree, for the most part, with dmack550 about his concerns for the scanning hobby. The future "may no longer be viable" is pretty accurate. IMHO it is in part because scanners have become so complicated. Yes, they have to be advanced because of todays radio systems but it almost takes a college course to figure these new scanners out. That is, if you can get the programming cable to work. I hear a lot of frustrations with you guys and gals about that. Also IMHO the new memory card function(s) of the Uniden scanners has also been a thorn in peoples sides. What was wrong with the old memory that we used for decades? It worked fine and never got "corrupted" or failed to work when turning the unit on. I am absolutely sure that sales of the 436 and 536 scanners would have been better had they not had the card problems in the beginning and at times still. I have not and will not buy either scanner because of the memory cards. Again, my opinion and should not be taken as gospel.

As far as putting money into the scanner part of the company I can not speak for Uniden but my guess is they had to come up with a design that would last years. And I guess they did. They just did not sell it well to me. dmack550 also suggested that the "scanner enthusiasts are a vanishing breed". That is true also because scanning has become a complicated hobby. Not that that is bad but it takes the fun (at least some of it) out of listening. Years ago it was simple. Go to Radio Shack, get a crystal, put it in you scanner and bam, you were good. But todays scanners can really turn your hair gray quickly with frustration. It is great that RR is hear to help.

Like I said at the beginning, this is a shorter reply and there is a lot I have left out from last night. I will keep my 396xt by my side (and 996xt) and use them daily like I have for years. I also hope that Uniden comes out with something new, sometime soon? Here is to wishing, right?

Sorry if I stepped on any toes. Just venting and wishing. I do have money to spend, I am not spending it on what Uniden has out right now. (Older units are different. I would buy them up now. And maybe I will, with what's left)

Have a great week.
With regards to your comment about the hobby becoming complicated, I agree. But it is not the hobby that has caused this, it's the communications industry. Yes, many years ago you could go to Radio shack and just get a crystal or two. plug it in and start listening. Of course, there was nothing complicated going on on the other end either. As communications systems change, so must the hobby in order to keep up. It really is just that simple. IMHO

Manny
Old 01-13-2018, 8:35 AM

Lightbulb

Did any of you scanner "doomsday" naysayers ever think it might not be a good idea to suggest the idea of "throwing in the towel" on a public forum? Do you really want scanner manufactures to stop making scanners? Why not call the CEO of Uniden and tell them what you said here? Sheesh!

And if you're really stuck in "the stone age" (crystals), try loading a scanner with 100's of those at $20 a crystal...if anyone would still make them for your frequencies of choice. Heck, that used to be a problem back then when you wanted those other frequencies the store wouldn't normally carry.

Technology progresses. Get over it! Either you keep up, or if you can't (or won't), then get out. Open-minded youngsters who embrace new technology without fear will fill the void. I don't think the scanner manufactures would be developing and selling anything if there wasn't "a market". Clearly, there is. And those "end of the world" statements about "encryption" and "First Alert" (FirstNet) are exaggerated. There is PLENTY to listen to, and I can confidently say most of us do. I'm glad we have the offerings Uniden and Whistler still make. Aren't you??? There is plenty of room for improvements, and as long as they are doing that, I will keep buying scanners...or better yet "upgrades". It's only when they stop, that sales will taper off.

As for those "demanding" a whole new scanner...do you really want to "start over" and buy another "expensive" scanner? Really? Think about that for a minute. You could keep adding new modes like NXDN, Fusion and maybe even D-STAR for a minimal upcharge, you know...to keep the scanner company "in business", or you could dump all you have invested and spend a ton of money on some "new toy" because you are tired with the old "flagship" model and just want something new (instant gratification). Uhhh...I'll take the upgrade approach any day!

Let the companies worry about their own "business models". Suggesting they "quit" because some "armchair quarterback" thinks he/she knows more about the company's business then the company does is comical at best. Posting such nonsense in a public forum might be destructive. Giving a company reasons to stop making products most of us (why would we be here otherwise?) enjoy could be self-fulfilling. Do you really want that?

Phil
Old 01-13-2018, 8:53 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOFA_KING View Post
Did any of you scanner "doomsday" naysayers ever think it might not be a good idea to suggest the idea of "throwing in the towel" on a public forum? Do you really want scanner manufactures to stop making scanners? Why not call the CEO of Uniden and tell them what you said here? Sheesh!

Phil
I think the "naysayers" are a definite minority. Furthermore, I think the manufacturers also think they're in the minority. However vocal they might be, most enthusiasts and manufacturers don't really take them seriously.
Old 01-13-2018, 9:23 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOFA_KING View Post

And if you're really stuck in "the stone age" (crystals), try loading a scanner with 100's of those at $20 a crystal...if anyone would still make them for your frequencies of choice. Heck, that used to be a problem back then when you wanted those other frequencies the store wouldn't normally carry.

Technology progresses. Get over it! Either you keep up, or if you can't (or won't), then get out. Open-minded youngsters who embrace new technology without fear will fill the void. I don't think the scanner manufactures would be developing and selling anything if there wasn't "a market". Clearly, there is. And those "end of the world" statements about "encryption" and "First Alert" (FirstNet) are exaggerated. There is PLENTY to listen to, and I can confidently say most of us do. I'm glad we have the offerings Uniden and Whistler still make. Aren't you??? There is plenty of room for improvements, and as long as they are doing that, I will keep buying scanners...or better yet "upgrades". It's only when they stop, that sales will taper off.

As for those "demanding" a whole new scanner...do you really want to "start over" and buy another "expensive" scanner? Really? Think about that for a minute. You could keep adding new modes like NXDN, Fusion and maybe even D-STAR for a minimal upcharge, you know...to keep the scanner company "in business", or you could dump all you have invested and spend a ton of money on some "new toy" because you are tired with the old "flagship" model and just want something new (instant gratification). Uhhh...I'll take the upgrade approach any day!

Let the companies worry about their own "business models". Suggesting they "quit" because some "armchair quarterback" thinks he/she knows more about the company's business then the company does is comical at best. Posting such nonsense in a public forum might be destructive. Giving a company reasons to stop making products most of us (why would we be here otherwise?) enjoy could be self-fulfilling. Do you really want that?

Phil
Very well said Phil. I'm one of those "old" crystal-using scanner old timers that has kept up with the changes. Their are so many sources of information and I can't emphasize enough "patience". I've become frustrated at times, but I step away for a bit then come back at it. Like you,I look forward to upgrades compared to buying all new scanners. Bring it on!
Old 01-13-2018, 10:09 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Location: Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the skeeters.

I'm with all these people who comment about those "naysayers", "doomsday" scanner forecasters. The hobby ISN'T going away any time soon.
Same as the amateur radio hobby; some said get rid of your equipment, the hobby was going to die.
Some that sprout these old saying are "trolls", or like to hear their-selves talk, and all the other garbage that falls in between.
For simplicity's sake, I'll say scanning started in 1965; well, over fifty years later we are still scanning the frequencies. Make no mistake, it was forecasted that the hobby would die with the advent of a new technology or law that was passed.
Scanning is like any other hobby, it's what you put in to it and out of it.
Taint dying you all....lol
Old 01-13-2018, 11:11 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I think encryption is going to beat us to the punch. If you enjoy listening to Bruger king drive ups, then that's the future of the hobby. Just my opinion.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:17 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC4RAF View Post
I'm with all these people who comment about those "naysayers", "doomsday" scanner forecasters. The hobby ISN'T going away any time soon.
Same as the amateur radio hobby; some said get rid of your equipment, the hobby was going to die.
Some that sprout these old saying are "trolls", or like to hear their-selves talk, and all the other garbage that falls in between.
For simplicity's sake, I'll say scanning started in 1965; well, over fifty years later we are still scanning the frequencies. Make no mistake, it was forecasted that the hobby would die with the advent of a new technology or law that was passed.
Scanning is like any other hobby, it's what you put in to it and out of it.
Taint dying you all....lol
Agreed,

Then the Internet came along, and instant messages, and VOIP phones, and video. "Ham radio is dieing" "Why get a ticket, I can do all that more reliably with the internet. Not having to worry about propagation, SWR, etc."

What is kinda funny to me at least, is difference between the groups. IE

The rock guys, I is one, miss the days of looking up a freq for what I wanted to listen to order a crystal and plug it in and away you go. Yes, them were the days weren't they. No real programming needed, sorta plug and play. Not like these newer scanners which require a understanding on what they can do, and how to make them do that. The same as if I put most of use rock guys in front of a Yasue FT-101B with a AL-811 Amp. Would have that thing up and running in no time, while the New guys would be complaining because it wasn't a one button push to get on the air. So in a way, the rock guys, by tuning, are programming, to make it work right.

The computer geek group, again I are one, lol, Look at it and trouble shoot when I run into problems, ask questions, figure things out and elmer others. So while the rock guys may look at the BCD536HP or a IC-7800 and our eyes glaze over with the amount of buttons and the ease getting lost in menu functions. The computer geeks would be mostly lost on how to change out a crystal or tune up a amplifier.

Not trying to offend anyone, its just how I see the groups. Venting is fine, heck. I do it from time to time. Just stop, sit back, take a couple deep breaths, maybe have a beer or 6 and sleep on the problem.

Just my thoughts,

Allen
Old 01-13-2018, 1:28 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

So are the days of buying a kit radio building it yourself. Just for the fun of it I went a passed and got my tech ticket just to prove to myself I could do it. Also aren't hams supposed to try advance the hobby and encourage others to be hams?
Old 01-13-2018, 3:53 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddrousa View Post
So are the days of buying a kit radio building it yourself. Just for the fun of it I went a passed and got my tech ticket just to prove to myself I could do it. Also aren't hams supposed to try advance the hobby and encourage others to be hams?
Yes, they should. If you want a challenge, put up a repeater. HUGE bonus points if it goes up and there are no problems. Because even plug and play components, are hardly ever plug and play and nothing ever goes according to plan. lol

My point about the internet was that was the statements that were made back then and still to this day by some... Then the No Code Tech battles. Yeah, I have been around awhile.