RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Uniden Forums > The Uniden Tavern


The Uniden Tavern - For general chit-chat and non-technical discussion specific to Uniden and does not fall within the above forum topics. This is not the forum to get technical advice from.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2018, 5:24 AM
GemmaKnight's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 90
Default BCD396T speaker replacement

Hello all. I recently purchased a BCD396T from eBay and the person conveniently forgot to mention that the speaker was failing. I tried to return it but he put "no returns" so eBay can't make him accept the return. Because of this I need to have the speaker replaced. I already purchased the replacement speaker. My question is: Where can I take it to be fixed and how much should it cost? Thanks! ☺
__________________
Scanner fan for over 35 years and a proud owner of a BCD325P2, BC75XLT and BC125AT.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2018, 6:25 AM
W8RMH's Avatar
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Grove City, Ohio (Bearcat not a Buckeye)
Posts: 7,017
Default

eBay has a money back guarantee. If the item does not match the seller's description (they didn't state the speaker was out) even though the seller stated no returns Ebay may still refund your money due to the fact that the seller misrepresented their listing. eBay will go after the seller or permanently bar them.

I made a purchase once and the seller lied in the posting and I got my money back and got to keep the item.

Contact the seller first and describe the problem and ask for a refund. If the seller refuses you can file a report in the resolution center.

eBay Resolution Center
__________________
SKYWARN SPOTTER Unication G4 Home Patrol 2 BCD996XT BR330T
Columbus Police Dispatch - Citywide (Ohio MARCS P25)

Last edited by W8RMH; 01-14-2018 at 6:35 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2018, 8:00 AM
n9mxq's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Belvidere IL
Posts: 1,506
Default

I'm with W8RMH, contact eBay. But if you don't want to go through that hassle and if you're even semi confident with a soldering iron you should be able to do this yourself. I've done it a few times for a former employer..

Remove the batteries, remove the rear case screws. Split the scanner gently.. Have to loosen 1 board, desolder the old speaker.. put the new speaker in.. Reassemble.
__________________
Gene
Is there such a thing as too many radios??
Transceivers, receivers, and SDR! Oh My!
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2018, 12:38 PM
wtp wtp is offline
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Port Charlotte FL
Posts: 1,907
Default how sure are you

much has been said here about the headphone jack not connecting right and cutting out the sound on the T and XT radios. a quick check is to put a plug in a couple of times to see if it comes back.
my 396T hates it when you use the jack and will cut out many times after that. and the 396XT has done it a couple of times. i even thought of using T radio as a base hooked up to computer speakers. it needs a stereo plug to operate correctly.
so if you try the plug thing and get anything out of the speaker it is the jack.
put on something like the NOAA guys or something that makes a continuous sound FM radio maybe.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2018, 2:20 PM
trp2525's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 670
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GemmaKnight View Post
...I already purchased the replacement speaker. My question is: Where can I take it to be fixed...
FYI there are step-by-step speaker replacement instructions (including photos) for the 396T (and 396XT) in the Radio Reference Wiki: Replace a Blown Speaker in the 396 - The RadioReference Wiki
__________________
trp2525
RCA 16S400, Regency HX1500, PRO-2006, PRO-197, PRO-668 (officially upgraded to WS1080), TRX-2, BC950XLT, BCD996XT, BCD396XT, Motorola Minitor II, Antenna Specialists MON731
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2018, 4:17 PM
GemmaKnight's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by W8RMH View Post
eBay has a money back guarantee. If the item does not match the seller's description (they didn't state the speaker was out) even though the seller stated no returns Ebay may still refund your money due to the fact that the seller misrepresented their listing. eBay will go after the seller or permanently bar them.

I made a purchase once and the seller lied in the posting and I got my money back and got to keep the item.

Contact the seller first and describe the problem and ask for a refund. If the seller refuses you can file a report in the resolution center.

eBay Resolution Center
I already contacted the seller and he is playing dumb and ebay already said that this transaction doesn't qualify for the buyers protection unless the seller accepts the return and it's been atleast 30 days from the auctions end.
__________________
Scanner fan for over 35 years and a proud owner of a BCD325P2, BC75XLT and BC125AT.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2018, 4:20 PM
GemmaKnight's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n9mxq View Post
I'm with W8RMH, contact eBay. But if you don't want to go through that hassle and if you're even semi confident with a soldering iron you should be able to do this yourself. I've done it a few times for a former employer..

Remove the batteries, remove the rear case screws. Split the scanner gently.. Have to loosen 1 board, desolder the old speaker.. put the new speaker in.. Reassemble.
I would do it myself but unfortunately I have no skill with a soldering iron.
__________________
Scanner fan for over 35 years and a proud owner of a BCD325P2, BC75XLT and BC125AT.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2018, 4:22 PM
GemmaKnight's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtp View Post
much has been said here about the headphone jack not connecting right and cutting out the sound on the T and XT radios. a quick check is to put a plug in a couple of times to see if it comes back.
my 396T hates it when you use the jack and will cut out many times after that. and the 396XT has done it a couple of times. i even thought of using T radio as a base hooked up to computer speakers. it needs a stereo plug to operate correctly.
so if you try the plug thing and get anything out of the speaker it is the jack.
put on something like the NOAA guys or something that makes a continuous sound FM radio maybe.
The headphone jack is fine, it's the main speaker that's in question.
__________________
Scanner fan for over 35 years and a proud owner of a BCD325P2, BC75XLT and BC125AT.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2018, 4:24 PM
GemmaKnight's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trp2525 View Post
FYI there are step-by-step speaker replacement instructions (including photos) for the 396T (and 396XT) in the Radio Reference Wiki: Replace a Blown Speaker in the 396 - The RadioReference Wiki
Sorry. No skill with repairing electronics. ☺
__________________
Scanner fan for over 35 years and a proud owner of a BCD325P2, BC75XLT and BC125AT.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2018, 4:38 PM
trp2525's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 670
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GemmaKnight View Post
...Where can I take it to be fixed and how much should it cost?...
Uniden will repair your 396T for a flat rate of $79.95 (plus $10 for return shipping/handling): https://repair.uniden.com/rates.cfm
If there is anything else wrong with the scanner (other than the bad speaker) they will also repair/replace those additional items at the same time for the same $79.95 flat rate.
__________________
trp2525
RCA 16S400, Regency HX1500, PRO-2006, PRO-197, PRO-668 (officially upgraded to WS1080), TRX-2, BC950XLT, BCD996XT, BCD396XT, Motorola Minitor II, Antenna Specialists MON731
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Yesterday, 8:48 PM
GemmaKnight's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 90
Default

Thanks to all for the info! ☺
__________________
Scanner fan for over 35 years and a proud owner of a BCD325P2, BC75XLT and BC125AT.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Yesterday, 10:23 PM
Citywide173's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Attleboro, MA
Posts: 1,170
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GemmaKnight View Post
The headphone jack is fine, it's the main speaker that's in question.
Not sure you're understanding the point of this. The headphone jack may be passing audio to an external speaker just fine, but if it doesn't restore audio back to the speaker when unplugged, it is just as broken. The poster suggested trying a few cycles of plugging/unplugging to see if this might rectify your problem.
__________________
Ed Burke
KD1EMS WQRD823
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 2:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2015 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions