RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Uniden Forums > The Uniden Tavern

The Uniden Tavern - For general chit-chat and non-technical discussion specific to Uniden and does not fall within the above forum topics. This is not the forum to get technical advice from.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-14-2018, 11:30 PM

Dedicated and separate audio line-out,
I/Q / Discriminator out,
Second SD card slot,
Second USB port with options to assign line audio out and I/Q Discriminator out (among other options)
In the alternative, built-in WIFI and bluetooth to allow usage of existing USB on rear panel (assuming chassis design is similar to 536)
Inverted display option (like 996 line)
Touch screen
Separate Touch screen and button lock options
IR remote control
Is it too much to ask for a panadapter display out?
Icom R-2500, RTL-SDR 820Tx4
Sponsored links
Old 05-15-2018, 1:36 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb7gjy View Post
Ability to do a partial LCN search, (IE lets say you have 10 freqs, You let it run for 8 hours it gets 4 or 5, it updates the now known LCNs. without losing the ones found)

My 536s and 436 already does that
Found 5/10 lcns just press function then system
It will ask if you want to save the ones it found
You say yes and your done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCD536HP, BCD436HP, BCD996XT, 2 TRX-1's , PRO-96
Old 05-15-2018, 2:08 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I/Q out is pretty much a given, as it is the only logical reason for the second USB port. Same goes for customizable color display.

Internal GPS on a mobile isn't going to happen. A GPS inside a metal case won't work. An external GPS with a single cable for power and data is an option, they could use the same GPS dongle as the BearTracker 885. The GPS dongle can be sold separately to placate the cheapskates.

Detachable head/faceplate is not going to happen. An updated Siren app probably will. The Siren update should be able to use the scanner I/Q output to do band scoping and other SDR stuff people usually do with dongles.

Internal Bluetooth or WiFi will not happen, due to RFI issues as well as problems with putting antennas of any kind inside a metal box. A combination Bluetooth/WiFi dongle would be possible though, to stream audio to a remote speaker without having WiFi infrastructure.

If you're going to have multiple receivers, don't limit them to wx or fto, use them to scan multiple channels simultaneously, and make the unit smart enough to not scan the same frequency with multiple receivers at the same time. Upgrade Replay to a 30-minute asynchronous audio buffer so that if multiple transmissions are received at the same time, they are buffered so you can hear them in the order received in their entirety, and listen to previous transmissions without interrupting scanning. Essentially put 2 or 4 scanners in 1 case all scanning the same favorite list(s), but coordinated so 2 receivers are never scanning the same thing.
Old 05-15-2018, 2:33 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

When there are transmissions in the audio buffer, turning the scroll knob counterclockwise jumps to the previous transmission, or the beginning of the current one if playback is in progress, and turning it clockwise jumps to the beginning of the next transmission. But while you are listening, all 4 receivers continue to scan.

A global timeout timer so that continuous broadcasts don't hang the scanner. If a transmission lasts longer than 5 minutes, then the channel automatically locks out and the scanner moves on.

Programmable default values for channel Delay and other settings. If no value is specified in the channel settings, then the scanner default value is used. If the channel has a setting, it is used rather than the default, so you have a way to change Delay and other currently hard coded settings for full database channels. This could be added to the x36 line as well with minimal modification to Sentinel and scanner firmware.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:57 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwienke View Post
Internal GPS on a mobile isn't going to happen. A GPS inside a metal case won't work.
It will work fine if you have an external antenna. (my plug-in card idea)

Quote:
Detachable head/faceplate is not going to happen.
How can you be so certain?

Quote:
If you're going to have multiple receivers, don't limit them to wx or fto, use them to scan multiple channels simultaneously, and make the unit smart enough to not scan the same frequency with multiple receivers at the same time.
Agreed.
Sponsored links
Old 05-15-2018, 1:14 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
It will work fine if you have an external antenna. (my plug-in card idea)
An external dongle like the BearTracker will have less signal loss than just having the antenna external and having a longer coax passing 1.5GHz.

Quote:
How can you be so certain?
Upman has stated on several occasions that given the poor sales of the RH-96, that Uniden has no plans to reintroduce the remote head in any new models. Going forward, remote function will be wireless.
Old 05-15-2018, 1:19 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Upman has stated on several occasions that given the poor sales of the RH-96, that Uniden has no plans to reintroduce the remote head in any new models. Going forward, remote function will be wireless.
For Uniden to not implement a remote mount head in similar concept to the latest Whistler models would be most ill-advised. There really is no reason they couldn't do it since it should be relatively simple.

Of course, Uniden hasn't always made the best design choices so I guess they may screw this simple thing that would make a world of difference up, too.

I kind of expect it'll have a removable head similar to the Whistlers but we'll just have to wait and see...
Old 05-15-2018, 2:06 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Switch the volume & squelch knobs and the main function knob back to where they were with the 996 series.

chris
Old 05-15-2018, 4:28 PM

Quote:
The remote head sales were probably low because because people didn't want to pay so much extra fro the aftermarket option. Cheaper to design and include with the radio in the first place maybe?

Don't honestly know, just guessing. I would be more apt to buy a radio with the ability to remote out of the box, not pay separate for the option later..
Old 05-15-2018, 11:38 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg View Post
Switch the volume & squelch knobs and the main function knob back to where they were with the 996 series.

chris
Agreed! My scanner is mounted in a console, and my hand hides the display when scrolling. That's only when I'm driving, but my car does not have auto-drive.

But oooooohhhhhhh, would THAT be sweet for scanning! You could even run a laptop.
Old 05-16-2018, 3:40 AM

Quote:
A global timeout timer so that continuous broadcasts don't hang the scanner. If a transmission lasts longer than 5 minutes, then the channel automatically locks out and the scanner moves on.
Would that be a "dumb" timer starting as soon as you land on a frequency, or should it reset whenever the squelch closes on analog channels or PTTs are pushed and released on digital channels?

Probably a "dumb" timer that gives an audible alarm when there's 30 sec and 10 sec left to timeout.

How about adding a feature where you put wav or ogg files on the SD card that could be selected to be used as alerts? Add an alert when the recording stops, either the SD card is full or something happened that disabled it. "Warning! Recording stopped!" and the red alert light blinks continuosly. Also for that time-out, "Warning! Channel have been temporary avoided!" Warning messages should periodicly scroll over the display during idle times until noted and confirmed. Also could scroll "Last heard: Sheriff Kalamazoo 42.55MHz". And of course and easy way to monitor last transmissions even if they are older than 4 minutes.

/Ubbe
Old 05-16-2018, 4:10 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

What I'm proposing is already a feature in ProScan. When a single continuous transmission's length exceeds a set time (I use 5 minutes), the channel is either temporarily or permanently avoided and scanning resumes. It prevents the scanner from hanging on continuous broadcasts like P25 control channels.
Old 05-16-2018, 8:34 AM

Quote:
What I'm proposing is already a feature in ProScan. When a single continuous transmission's length exceeds a set time (I use 5 minutes), the channel is either temporarily or permanently avoided and scanning resumes. It prevents the scanner from hanging on continuous broadcasts like P25 control channels.
Isn't that what negative delay time is?
Old 05-16-2018, 9:23 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Boh View Post
Isn't that what negative delay time is?
No, for the following reasons:

1. For transmissions less than the maximum time limit, you can still adjust the Delay for the channel. Negative delay does not allow you to adjust how long the scanner waits for a reply transmission before resuming scanning.

2. Negative Delay does not lock out or avoid the channel, either temporarily or permanently, if the maximum transmission time is exceeded.

3. Negative Delay isn't suitable for doing band searches or analog Discovery sessions. If there is a P25 control channel or other continuous transmission in the search range, Negative Delay hangs the scan for the maximum Delay setting every time that frequency is scanned.. The ProScan feature locks the frequency out after the first encounter, so the scanner does not repeadly hang on it.

4. Negative Delay maxes out at 10 seconds. That cuts off legitimate voice calls whenever they exceed 10 seconds.
Old 05-16-2018, 9:33 AM

Fair enough. I would agree a more complex "anti-hang" would be extremely beneficial.
Old 05-16-2018, 9:36 AM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
3. Negative Delay isn't suitable for doing band searches or analog Discovery sessions. If there is a P25 control channel or other continuous transmission in the search range, Negative Delay hangs the scan for the maximum Delay setting every time that frequency is scanned.. The ProScan feature locks the frequency out after the first encounter, so the scanner does not repeadly hang on it.
Clarification: In Discovery sessions, the frequency is avoided if the maximum recording time is met, so continuous transmissions won't permanently hang in Discovery mode.
For better help, tell us specifically what you are trying to scan.
Old 05-16-2018, 9:46 AM

I really want to see a remote mount, much like others have said.

If nothing else, the mounting options are limited by the front face of the BCD996T-BCD536HP. If it was Euro-DIN on the front as opposed to the older shaft-style DIN, the options would open way up for a lot of installs. A lot of mine run into issues where I have to shave away material as I am always like 1-3mm shy of clearance since the front face has a lip. The rest of the current DIN mounting solution is actually a huge benefit for me over the current top-of-the-line whistlers.

GPS solution is fine now. There are plenty of us that have options opened up by using RS232 with NMEA standard GPS as opposed to having to worry about a single wire proprietary solution. The USGlobalSat connectors like for the BCD325P2 are nice, but RS232 is still a great option. Options like using a Trimble device help with mobile installs a lot. Understand why users want something simpler, but this is a very nice trade-off right now. Also means we aren't forced to buy GPS from a single vendor like the WiFi adapter for the 536.

Would like to see a slightly nicer audio amp for the external speaker connection. Something that could drive a larger speaker with more granular control. Right now with an un-amplified external speaker I feel like the 536 has two options - whisper quiet or loud and distorted. Finding a nice medium for volume level is harder than finding a good temperature in a hotel shower.

One last simple ask for me - use the aesthetics of the SDS100. The 536 single backlight color was a huge disappointment. The Grey isn't as bad to match into a vehicle as BCD996T silver is, but black faceplate with custom color screen would go a long way for me. I like to specialize in the "Wife/GF/SO Compliant" mobile installation - I want it to look factory!

I am more concerned about hardware than software - software changes are easy to make with downloadable updates. I can't download a new radio chassis.

EDIT: One more - if it boots and shuts down like an HP model, I would like to see a separate power and ignition wire. That we there are clean start ups and shut downs. I have a problem now where if I turn the key a little too quickly or slowly, the radio can lockup on the custom text start up screen and I have to shut the vehicle off and restart to get it to boot up (volume/power knob stops working) and then on vehicle shut off, after loss of power to the ignition cable for a couple seconds, we get a clean shut down and write to SD card like powering it off with the volume knob.

Last edited by Mr_Boh; 05-16-2018 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: Added one more
Old 05-16-2018, 9:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPMan View Post
Clarification: In Discovery sessions, the frequency is avoided if the maximum recording time is met, so continuous transmissions won't permanently hang in Discovery mode.
Agreed, but to Jon's point, one of the issues with max time in discovery is one user can blab and blab and then it will max out your time which does two things:

1. Occupies air that could be used for continuation of scanning, particularly when you are trying to discover on a system that has a ton of talkgroups and not all of them have a ton of conversation.

2. Trying to determine the purpose of a talk group can be difficult with chatty users. Usually public safety is easy to recognize, but with some of the chit chat on things like public works, FBOs, utility departments, etc you may have trouble figuring out which agency/department is using that channel. You end up with 300 seconds of "Left...... more left..... go up..... now down.... can you not see me?.... no look the other way".

Combining negative delay with automatic lock out parameters would stop the users from holding up your ability to discover other groups/frequencies when you are trying to set up and discover rapidly.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:15 AM

Detachable faceplate would reduce theft concerns.

Perhaps the RH-96 wasn't a big venture success do to it being an accessory.
We have one to complement the 396XT. A few lines of code to allow parsing for P25 Phase II, and it
would be useful with the 325P2.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:49 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Wireless removable faceplate, or small wire (bus data system), no wires or very small wires for ease of install.