RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Uniden Forums > The Uniden Tavern

The Uniden Tavern - For general chit-chat and non-technical discussion specific to Uniden and does not fall within the above forum topics. This is not the forum to get technical advice from.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-16-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phask View Post
Wireless removable faceplate
AKA the Siren app running on a tablet. Hopefully the Siren app will get an update, at least when the mobile version of the SDS100 is released.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:07 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwienke View Post
AKA the Siren app running on a tablet. Hopefully the Siren app will get an update, at least when the mobile version of the SDS100 is released.
Shouldn't have to have another device to control the scanner. Look at Whistler and model after their concept (just make it bigger) - very simple. It can be attached if desired or removed and remotely mounted, if desired. Best of both worlds.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:23 AM

Personally I am thinking like the Yaesu YSKs. It is a single cable with RJ11/45 style connector, but the best part is the little plastic cradle you get for the head. It gives you mounting flexibility, but what I would do is make a 3D printed version of the cradle that would work as an adapter for things like an unused radio slot, coin tray, or like the slots in the older suburban consoles.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:51 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

How about the automatic ability to pick the best site as you move about in a non-simucast, multi-site system (enhanced roaming). This what the real radios do and is much more important to me than a bunch of frills. Some GRE scanners did this but it never really worked well.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:08 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by northzone View Post
How about the automatic ability to pick the best site as you move about in a non-simucast, multi-site system (enhanced roaming). This what the real radios do and is much more important to me than a bunch of frills. Some GRE scanners did this but it never really worked well.
I think Whistler may have this patented.

Sponsored links
Old 05-16-2018, 12:39 PM

The way it is now, if you take the time to set your boundaries well and use GPS it works out nicely. I know this is additional work, but with multi-site systems, usually specific talk groups are tied to specific sites.

I would rather see a way with the scanners (and the RRDB) to link talkgroups that are restricted to a specific site for improving scanner performance. That way as you enable/disable sites either manually or via GPS you are more likely to have a hit.

I have a hard time seeing how that would be locked to a Whistler patent since it is used in subscribers for the systems. You could easily implement it via control channel RSSI of the various sites.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03msc View Post
Shouldn't have to have another device to control the scanner.
Then many people will complain about paying extra for a feature they don't want. Making a control panel and display removable adds complexity and cost compared to non-removable. Uniden's current approach decreases costs and leverages devices many people already have, rather than forcing everyone to buy a proprietary device (the removable face) that will only work with the scanner.

It's also worth noting that a handheld is about the same size as a typical faceplate, and at least with the x36 series, has essentially identical RF features and performance as the base/mobile unit.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Boh View Post
I would rather see a way with the scanners (and the RRDB) to link talkgroups that are restricted to a specific site for improving scanner performance. That way as you enable/disable sites either manually or via GPS you are more likely to have a hit.
There is zero reason to do this. Talkgroups are not scanned, sites are. Having 50,000 talkgroups programmed for a 5-site system will scan at the same speed as 50 talkgroups. If a talkgroup is only used in a specific area, then the location data for that talkgroup's Department should be (and generally is) set accordingly. But beyond that, there is no benefit, performance or otherwise, in explicitly linking talkgroups to site(s).
Old 05-16-2018, 12:54 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Uniden's current approach decreases costs and leverages devices many people already have, rather than forcing everyone to buy a proprietary device (the removable face) that will only work with the scanner.
Not everyone uses an Android or ios device so you force them to buy a proprietary device to use some crap app like Siren. If you want a wider audience, have an HTTPS server built-in and use any modern web browser to connect to it via WiFi. Wait, there goes that WiFi dongle problem again.
Old 05-16-2018, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CQ View Post
Not everyone uses an Android or ios device so you force them to buy a proprietary device to use some crap app like Siren. If you want a wider audience, have an HTTPS server built-in and use any modern web browser to connect to it via WiFi. Wait, there goes that WiFi dongle problem again.
A detachable faceplate is by definition a proprietary device, much more so than a phone or tablet.

And you still have to have a tablet, phone, or laptop with a web browser to control via a HTTP interface, so there is little benefit to that approach over Siren.
Old 05-16-2018, 1:28 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
A detachable faceplate is by definition a proprietary device, much more so than a phone or tablet.
False. Have you seen the Whistler setup? By your posts it doesn't seem so.

The face plate of the scanner is removable (connect via cat-5 when removed). NOTHING extra to buy. To claim it would add exorbitant additional cost or something is obviously not the case since W has been doing it for quite awhile now. And many ham radios have the same or similar function/feature.

I suspect that Uniden is smart enough to implement a similar design in the next mobile scanner, whatever the model name/number is, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Old 05-16-2018, 2:11 PM

Quote:
False. Have you seen the Whistler setup? By your posts it doesn't seem so.

The face plate of the scanner is removable (connect via cat-5 when removed). NOTHING extra to buy. To claim it would add exorbitant additional cost or something is obviously not the case since W has been doing it for quite awhile now. And many ham radios have the same or similar function/feature.
I am familiar with this type of setup. And it does indeed add complexity and cost to have the encoding and decoding circuitry on both ends of the cat-5 cable, compared to direct wiring. All the control signals have to be combined together and multiplexed through a single cable, and then demultiplexed at the other end. The same process has to happen in reverse for the display. So that approach adds cost to every unit sold compared to directly wiring the controls and display to the radio, and the faceplate cannot be used for any other purpose.
Old 05-16-2018, 2:32 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Yes and no. Sure, it takes proper design and implementation and some additional circuitry (no argument there!) but you're acting like it will add so much cost. Let's see...

Whistler TRX-2: $468 right now (https://www.amazon.com/Whistler-TRX-...JS0/ref=sr_1_1)

Uniden BCD536HP: $490 right now (https://www.amazon.com/Uniden-BCD536...niden+bcd536hp)

So the Whistler with the removable head is $22 cheaper...and no additional fees for DMR or NXDN.

Again, fairly simple for Uniden to implement and shouldn't be very complex or expensive.
Old 05-16-2018, 3:27 PM

And the Uniden has a better receiver, Wi-Fi for remote control and streaming, and the paid upgrades actually trunk track their respective formats (which is why they must be paid).
Old 05-16-2018, 3:47 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Not saying there aren't differences. My point has been made, though - it is not extremely expensive (or expensive at all) for it to be designed that way from the beginning.

No need for an add-on device. Simple design, minimal added cost (if any). Smart move.

Time will tell if Uniden applies the logic of designing it this way. For the last few years there have been complaints about the removal of the RH option from the 536 and 996P2. I've read it many times when people would complain about it. I'm sure Paul has, too. Uniden probably thought the wifi with a tablet or phone would suffice but it really isn't the same thing no matter how they try to spin it.

I have no inside info to show that they are going this route, I just think it would be an extremely smart design and good business to have the best of both worlds thus eliminating the "where's the remote head!?!" complaints that have existed.

Uniden directly competes with Whistler...as we all know...so to go this route would remove one more factor that might otherwise persuade someone to get a TRX-2 over the Uniden whatever. Yes, I've seen people post that is the main reason they went with a Whistler so this is one simple way to remove that as a factor.

I know I'm not the only one who thinks so, either...
Old 05-16-2018, 3:55 PM

All I know is that Upman has stated multiple times that Uniden isn't planning on traditional remote heads.
Old 05-16-2018, 4:05 PM

Quote:
I suspect that Uniden is smart enough to implement a similar design in the next mobile scanner, whatever the model name/number is, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.
If Uniden is truly "smart", they'll ditch the DIN-sized box mobile platform altogether. Fewer and fewer vehicles have space available for such a device. Even if you have a remote head, in many instances you'll need a remote speaker - not a lot of places for one of those, either.

The most intelligent choice would be a Home Patrol style device with automotive-friendly features like a 12v input and more powerful audio. It already has a large touchscreen, easy to mount anywhere using permanent or temporary solutions like dash, windshield, air vent, or "hidden" mounts.
Old 05-16-2018, 4:11 PM

I like having both options. I understand the appeal of the HomePatrol but install way more of the DIN size. For news agencies and command vehicles that buy 10-20 if not more at a time the DIN size is better.

I personally find the HomePatrol much harder to mount than the 536HP. Cable management stinks and an external speaker really isn’t that hard to mount. It can be improved upon though (and hope it does) but it needs the other protocols too.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:32 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Boh View Post
The way it is now, if you take the time to set your boundaries well and use GPS it works out nicely. I know this is additional work, but with multi-site systems, usually specific talk groups are tied to specific sites.

As interesting as this concept may be, I think it would be pretty difficult to accomplish. It would require system administrators to "open the books" which is something given homeland security concerns they may be reluctant to do.

Also I'm having trouble envisioning a practical application for even doing this.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:44 PM

Quote:
All I know is that Upman has stated multiple times that Uniden isn't planning on traditional remote heads.
If Uniden is in-fact still "stinging" over the pour sales of the RH96, then that reflects badly on them.

I understand the arguments and business case for the "end user brings their own wireless device and we'll just give them an app."

As I see it, the RH96 had at least one "fatal flaw" in that I couldn't control the power for the x96 scanner to which it was attached. Same goes for the wireless device/app configuration for the x36HP line. Further, even for a tech savvy person as myself, I've encountered plenty of times where my device refuses to connect to something while someone with the same device has no issues. These devices, once out in the wild, take on personalities (for lack of a better term) of their own. For example, my old iPhone 5S will connect to and coexist with everything on my Mom's Wifi network while my iPhone SE and her computer won't if my phone is connected before her computer connects.

A physical remote head doesn't really add a whole lot of complexity to the scanner, and certainly would be less of an engineering hassle than app development. If the next mobile offering from Uniden relies on the app and some sort of wireless device, it isn't because of the engineering "challenges" of a physical head. It will be because Uniden didn't fully understand why the RH96 failed and thinks that a wireless solution is essential for product differentiation.