RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Uniden Forums > The Uniden Tavern

The Uniden Tavern - For general chit-chat and non-technical discussion specific to Uniden and does not fall within the above forum topics. This is not the forum to get technical advice from.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-17-2018, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyFlyer View Post
For example, my old iPhone 5S will connect to and coexist with everything on my Mom's Wifi network while my iPhone SE and her computer won't if my phone is connected before her computer connects.
It's an IP conflict you'll need to sort out. Some of the devices are probably used with a fixed IP and others have dynamic IP from DHCP. iPhones seems to save and reuse the same IP they have been given by the system so they will collide with other devices that have been given the same IP number, depending in what order the devices are started.

/Ubbe
Old 05-17-2018, 4:07 AM

Whistler has very limited information on the TRX-2 display and the buttons are so hard to push and badly backligthed that it takes away your focus from the road.

A seperate browsing device make it so much easier to tailor your needs as you can select whatever size of display you feel are needed. The siren app have more information than the BCD536HP scanner. I bought an iPhone mainly to run the Siren app. I later bought a second hand $50 Samsung to be able to run the Android version which is so much better than the iPhone version.

The phones bluetooth can connect to the car audiosystem if you want some more sound pressure. You can attach a phone to the sun visor with rubber bands to get the display and the loudspeaker closer to you and also use the phone with improved sound quality in handsfree mode.

/Ubbe
Old 05-17-2018, 8:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubbe View Post
It's an IP conflict you'll need to sort out.

/Ubbe
That's precisely the issue. I have a simple work around that doesn't have me dinking around with settings trying to find some magic combination that makes all the electronics play nice with each other: put my phone in airplane mode until her PC boots up and connects.

Wireless is great stuff and all, but I've found over the years that for some things, wired (or rather simple) is far better.
Old 05-18-2018, 9:16 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwienke View Post
All I know is that Upman has stated multiple times that Uniden isn't planning on traditional remote heads.

.....Anymore....
Old 05-18-2018, 9:27 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

IMO if Uniden did some work on the Siren app to squash bugs and iron out audio skipping issues, there wouldn't be any compelling reason for a remote head. The problem is that the Siren app has bugs that haven't gotten any attention from Uniden in a long time. Hopefully that is because a new app is in the works that includes SDR functionality for the SDS100's (as yet unannounced, but highly likely) big brother.
Old 05-18-2018, 9:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwienke View Post
IMO if Uniden did some work on the Siren app to squash bugs and iron out audio skipping issues, there wouldn't be any compelling reason for a remote head.
For me, and likely others, the big issue remains being able to control the power to the scanner. For those using the unit in a home or office, that isn't so much of an issue. Using it in a vehicle, though, you now have two devices that must be powered on/off separately and the scanner would have to be placed in a less optimum location (depending on vehicle) so that the power button can be easily and quickly accessed.
Old 05-18-2018, 9:58 AM

Also, for most of my installs, you are going to have a tough time telling a customer to buy several iOS/Android devices and get all the WiFi working properly.

That said, I will agree with the idea of app control if it was done via Bluetooth rather than WiFi. Totally understand the decision to add WiFi, but for mobile installs it is fairly clunky and costly. Also get that is a much smaller segment.

Whistler's decision to add A2DP is interesting, because I assume they are streaming audio and the talkgroup information over what would normally be used for song title/artist info, then allowing play/pause/skip controls to act as hold/release and scan up/down like the ez scan controls.

If Uniden added Bluetooth, did A2DP but also included serial profile, you could use the already existing commands used for software like ProScan to make apps that give you the virtual control you get on PC..... speaking of which - I am shocked no one has already done this with an RS232 to Bluetooth adapter - you could do it on both iOS and Android... hmmm.