RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Uniden Forums > The Uniden Tavern

The Uniden Tavern - For general chit-chat and non-technical discussion specific to Uniden and does not fall within the above forum topics. This is not the forum to get technical advice from.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-13-2018, 10:47 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB7MIB View Post
If Uniden, via UpMan, has stated that they won't be going with the traditional remote head mount, then would an HHCH be considered a non-traditional approach?

And secondly, how else will you get the SDS-100 screen onto a mobile version if not via a HHCH? The SDS-100 screen will not fit on a traditional remote head. You'd be limited to System, Department, and Channel name, and not much else, unless you put the rest of the information side-by-side with it.

John
Peoria
Second time you've asked the first question - and it was answered basically as 'who knows' because we don't know what Paul meant by 'traditional remote head'. Maybe an HHCH would count but maybe not.

Lots of options for a mobile version - look at the size of the Icom 5100, for example - huge touchscreen (black and white, yes, but I'm talking about size only and the mobile SDS100 would be color) with a few buttons and knobs. Something similar could be done, maybe with the screen only covering 60% of the surface and the other part being the keypad and other buttons.
Sponsored links
Old 06-13-2018, 11:06 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I brought the idea up a week or two ago, in another thread, (possibly in 2 other threads) but I don't recall any answer to it.

Jon replied above saying that I/we would have to ask Paul about it, and I'm willing to wait and see if he does comment.
Then the other commentor balked at the idea, so I asked his opinion on whether a HHCH would be considered a non-traditional approach, if Uniden doesn't want to go the traditional way.

Lets assume for a minute that Uniden is not going to implement a traditional remote head, in the style of an RH-96, or what is typically available on many mobile two-way radios, both commercial and ham.

What are his objections to an HHCH? Does he, or do others, want a huge screen like you've suggested may be an option for Uniden? Or does he, or others, want limited information presented on a smaller typical mobile scanner screen versus what the SDS-100 has? Or are there other ideas?

I personally, would not be a fan of an Home Patrol design for mobile use. I don't see too many mounting options for that style of design.

An HHCH could hang on the dash or the console much like mircrophones are now.

John
Peoria, AZ
Old 06-14-2018, 2:44 AM

I apologize, but I missed something. What does "HHCH" standard for?

Hand held control head maybe?

If so, then that would probably work for my use case. I'm just worried that mounting a DIN shaped box with an accessible control head is going to be nearly impossible in new vehicles where you can no longer remove the stereo since the vehicle controls are being integrated into the entertainment unit.
Old 06-14-2018, 6:31 AM

You could do a similar screen in a base/mobile. Sure it would have to be shorter, but it would be wider negating the need to have an extra line for system, department, and channel. With a wider screen you could divide it up into quarters and have some stuff on the leftmost quarter, then system/dept/channel in the middle half, then more info on the rightmost quarter. If you’re creative you could make it work just like the SDS100.
Old 06-14-2018, 8:24 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusedusername View Post
I apologize, but I missed something. What does "HHCH" standard for?

Hand held control head maybe?

If so, then that would probably work for my use case. I'm just worried that mounting a DIN shaped box with an accessible control head is going to be nearly impossible in new vehicles where you can no longer remove the stereo since the vehicle controls are being integrated into the entertainment unit.
Yes, HHCH is handheld control head. Motorola and others make them for some of their radios.

Anyway, just mount the main body of the scanner under the seat or something and the remote head - whatever style - is all that is needed up front...no need for DIN slots anymore (this is how many have been doing it with the last few versions, up until the 536). With the changes in radio styles in vehicles now there is not really any point in a scanner manu making the mobile versions DIN size.
Sponsored links