RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Uniden Forums > The Uniden Tavern

The Uniden Tavern - For general chit-chat and non-technical discussion specific to Uniden and does not fall within the above forum topics. This is not the forum to get technical advice from.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2018, 8:16 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Opening message screen should be adjustable for longer time period
Sponsored links
Old 08-20-2018, 8:43 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by maus92 View Post
Then it will not be a scanning SDR radio. The technology requires more power than AAs can reasonably provide.
I must admit that I don't have a deep technical understanding of how software-defined radios work.

My question therefore is whether or not a software-defined radio is required to properly demodulate LSM.

The commercial simulcast radios I've used don't seem to require any more power than their non--simulcast predecessors.

Your thoughts?
Old 08-20-2018, 8:57 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddrousa View Post
And my factory included SMA to BNC adapter works great I find no reason to use anything different.
Thanks for the response.

My hands are only medium-sized, but I couldn't get the Uniden-supplied BNC adapter to stay in place while changing antennas without a lot of difficulty or a pair of needle-nosed pliers. I bought some of Jon Wienke's BNC adapters, and that solved the problem!

Also, if Whistler chooses to go the eight AA-battery route, that will be fine with me. The new big-battery SDS100 is starting to get a little bulky, too.

Happy monitoring!
Old 08-20-2018, 9:07 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Then it will not be a scanning SDR radio. The technology requires more power than AAs can reasonably provide.
There are plenty of SDR devices that run off USB ports. Uniden's problem is they chose a TV tuner from the 90's that requires a huge battery .
Old 08-20-2018, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumegpc View Post
There are plenty of SDR devices that run off USB ports. Uniden's problem is they chose a TV tuner from the 90's that requires a huge battery .
I have seen many of these claims but no evidence. What tuner chip are they using that's using the most current? From what I have read, it is mostly due to the numerous processors.
Sponsored links
Old 08-20-2018, 9:44 PM

The tuner chip uses 20-25% of the total power used by the SDS100. And it's not 1990s-vintage technology.
Old 08-20-2018, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwienke View Post
The tuner chip uses 20-25% of the total power used by the SDS100. And it's not 1990s-vintage technology.
Even if it was 90s tech, who cares as long as it functions as advertised.
Old 08-20-2018, 9:49 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc5igh View Post
I must admit that I don't have a deep technical understanding of how software-defined radios work.

My question therefore is whether or not a software-defined radio is required to properly demodulate LSM.

The commercial simulcast radios I've used don't seem to require any more power than their non--simulcast predecessors.

Your thoughts?
The commercial P25 radios also don't run off AAs, because AAs don't have the power density to support the duty cycle. The newer Motos and Harris P25 radios are SDRs, but are many times more expensive than the SDS. They also are not designed to actively scan tens or hundreds of channels and multiple systems. Earlier commercial radios that supported LSM were what amounted to proprietary designs, more or less engineered to work on their manufacturer's systems. A scanner needs to work on a wide variety of systems from different manufacturers, and it appears that Uniden and Whistler have determined that a SDR design is the way forward because of the flexibility it offers for the newer waveforms.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:25 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
The commercial P25 radios also don't run off AAs, because AAs don't have the power density to support the duty cycle. The newer Motos and Harris P25 radios are SDRs, but are many times more expensive than the SDS. They also are not designed to actively scan tens or hundreds of channels and multiple systems. Earlier commercial radios that supported LSM were what amounted to proprietary designs, more or less engineered to work on their manufacturer's systems. A scanner needs to work on a wide variety of systems from different manufacturers, and it appears that Uniden and Whistler have determined that a SDR design is the way forward because of the flexibility it offers for the newer waveforms.
Thanks for the information, maus92.

It's going to be interesting to see what Whistler does about the SDR/power issue.

I believe I read a post elsewhere in the RadioReference forum that said Whistler has chosen to keep using the TRX-1 case for its TRX-100 scanner (speculation at this time, of course). To me, that sounded like a four-AA-battery power source proposition, which, if it works somehow, would be a pretty impressive accomplishment, based on your input above.

Depending on what Whistler decides to do, I wouldn't be surprised to see Uniden develop a "light" version of the SDS100 that takes a step or two back from that scanner's state-of-the-art technology and feature-set . . . kind of what they did with the BCD325P2 after the BCD436HP had been out for awhile. We'll see . . .

Don't get me wrong, I love my SDS100. It's the ONLY scanner in my arsenal that can reliably receive my local Harris UHF simulcast system from virtually every location within range. However, it has its problems, as many people have noted here, and I'm pretty sure Whistler is taking note of all this feedback (if it isn't already too late).

Exciting stuff!

-Johnnie
Old 08-21-2018, 8:46 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc5igh View Post
Thanks for the information, maus92.

It's going to be interesting to see what Whistler does about the SDR/power issue.

I believe I read a post elsewhere in the RadioReference forum that said Whistler has chosen to keep using the TRX-1 case for its TRX-100 scanner (speculation at this time, of course). To me, that sounded like a four-AA-battery power source proposition, which, if it works somehow, would be a pretty impressive accomplishment, based on your input above.

Depending on what Whistler decides to do, I wouldn't be surprised to see Uniden develop a "light" version of the SDS100 that takes a step or two back from that scanner's state-of-the-art technology and feature-set . . . kind of what they did with the BCD325P2 after the BCD436HP had been out for awhile. We'll see . . .

Don't get me wrong, I love my SDS100. It's the ONLY scanner in my arsenal that can reliably receive my local Harris UHF simulcast system from virtually every location within range. However, it has its problems, as many people have noted here, and I'm pretty sure Whistler is taking note of all this feedback (if it isn't already too late).

Exciting stuff!

-Johnnie
While Whistler may use a case / form factor from a previous radio, that doesn't mean they won't be using a lithium battery to get the power density required. We'll have to wait to find out. I haven't had any performance issues with my SDS, but then again I use it to monitor trunked systems in the 700/800 range almost exclusively, with an occasional foray into VHF for the DNR regions that have yet to switch over to 700. Still, no detectable issues for me. But if the issues are widespread, I'm sure Uniden will address them as new firmware is released - which is the point of SDR based designs.