RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Uniden Forums > The Uniden Tavern

The Uniden Tavern - For general chit-chat and non-technical discussion specific to Uniden and does not fall within the above forum topics. This is not the forum to get technical advice from.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2018, 2:03 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwienke View Post
It is. The alert light blinks white about once every 5 seconds when the screen is off when that setting is enabled.
Good to know - that should answer their question.

Hopefully Uniden will clarify the menu text (unless there's a description or something already clarifying it) in a future fw update.
Sponsored links
Old 06-07-2018, 2:06 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWonton View Post
4) Audio quality is good and to my ears, it it seems easier to identify the voices of the officers in my department vs. the G4/G5.
How would you compare the max volume of the SDS100 to the G4/5? My G4 is LOUD (but clear) at max volume, and when mobile it punches through everything, almost painfully so.
Old 06-07-2018, 2:06 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Future manual will reflect as UPMan stated in other threads. The printed version was 2 month prior to release.

Houk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03msc View Post
Good to know - that should answer their question.

Hopefully Uniden will clarify the menu text (unless there's a description or something already clarifying it) in a future fw update.
Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2018, 2:09 PM
New York DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

One thing I noticed real fast was that the SMA connector is recessed into the scanner. I understand that it was made that way to keep the dust out thanks to the addition of the rubber o-ring on the included antenna.

However, this does limit adding using aftermarket SMA rubber duck antennas - at least without modifying the antenna or the radio.

I do understand that I could use the included SMA to BNC adapter and then use BNC adapters.

I am just noting my review on the scanner after having it in my hands for less than 24 hours.
I'll also be reviewing more about this scanner at Uniden SDS100 Review - Scanner School

All and all, I'm happy with this scanner. It did take me a while to find out how I can add the UID Text to the display. It is nice that you can play around with not only the colors on the display, but also the content of the display.

I'm hoping that Uniden ships the newer batteries soon. I can confirm that battery life is fairly poor with the included pack. I'm just monitoring a single P25 phase 1 talk group locked onto a single transmit site, and saw about 4 hours of life off of a full charge.

Compared to the G5 unit, I think the G5 has a bit better audio. Again - I'm not monitoring simulcast or phase 2. Strictly Phase 1 P25 I do notice the SDS sounds a bit robotic, but no more worse than any of the other scanners in Uniden's line. I have yet to play around with the P25 receive settings to see if I can tweak it at all.
Old 06-07-2018, 2:15 PM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

There are no P25 tweaks...there is no need. I/Q receiver sees the full 3 dimensions of the incoming signal and not a 2D projection (C4FM) of the signal.
For better help, tell us specifically what you are trying to scan.
Sponsored links
Old 06-07-2018, 2:36 PM
New York DB Admin
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Very cool. Another plus for the SDS100
Old 06-07-2018, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPMan View Post
There are no P25 tweaks...there is no need. I/Q receiver sees the full 3 dimensions of the incoming signal and not a 2D projection (C4FM) of the signal.
How do I change the setting to where the display only comes on with a key press and when it stops on a transmission then off again when scanning resumes?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2018, 3:36 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Play around in Menu/Display Options/Set Backlight

Houk
Quote:
Originally Posted by racing1 View Post
How do I change the setting to where the display only comes on with a key press and when it stops on a transmission then off again when scanning resumes?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2018, 4:48 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I really like my SDS100, it looks great next to my collection :-), I added all 3 upgrade options too. :-)

BCD396XT
BCD536HP
BCD536HP (yes a second one)
BCD436HP
Home Patrol 2

So I do have a bit of a problem with collecting :-)

The screen looks great, and wow being able to add/remove fields.. change colors. So nice. The feel of this thing is really great. Solid and comfortable. It is very clear sound and scans quickly through my Favorites lists.

I have 2 things I would do differently...

1. The Antenna jack being sunken in basically means a lot of aftermarket antennas are off the list. I have Diamond SRHF10's for a lot of my units. I bought one for my SDS and its now in a drawer. I like to hang my handheld from my Kevlar Vest cover so I can hear it. With the full antenna that came in the box, its gonna poke my eye out. Seems like an oversight. If it was a few millimeters further poking out of the body, they would work.

2. I wish there was an option to switch the main dial to be VOLUME control instead of having to push it down first then twist. Just have the choice to swap its current scan control to be push, and volume be default twist. Again, hanging from my Kevlar, or mounted on my dash... it is just easier to operate with a quick twist. Seems like this should be possible as it's just software.

Otherwise, really impressed with Uniden on this one. I hope they make a desktop unit to replace the 536's too. I will buy a few :-)
Old 06-07-2018, 5:58 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I have no simulcast in my home area but travel where it is BUT
P25 CLEAR and sounds like my EF JOHNSON on P25 not as bassie like my x36's
DMR CLEAR sounds as good as a commercial portable.
NXDN CLEAR sounds as good as my NX5200 and NX5300 portables
I will test the NXDN Trunk Tracking tomorrow (Friday)
Old 06-07-2018, 5:58 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

One more thing. Bluetooth. I knew in advance it didn't have it... but it really should.
Old 06-07-2018, 6:10 PM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Hello,

You should of used 3D IQ in your marketing materials. A perfect marketing term

73 Eric
Old 06-07-2018, 6:13 PM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Someone in Sales asked me what True I/Q meant. I told him it meant that if you weren't very smart, you wouldn't be able to use it.
For better help, tell us specifically what you are trying to scan.
Old 06-07-2018, 6:24 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by adcockfred View Post
Stop it you guys are killing me. Remember I have to work really hard to get my 436 to mess up with lsm. So, is this unit gonna I d track nxdn ?
On 6/18 I'll be at one of our sites that uses a Trunked NXDN system. I have an Icom IC-R30 already setup for that system, so I already know everything I need to know. I'm just way outta range, can't answer yet. Feel free to PM if you still need an answer.
Old 06-07-2018, 6:28 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWonton View Post
They may cost about the same but they are honestly two different animals other than being software defined radios. The G5 has a smaller form factor, better IP protection (and in general seems more rugged than the SDS100) and the battery lasts longer than the SDS100. It's really better suited for monitoring a select few talk groups and lacks the features of a scanner (hold, avoid, band coverage). The SDS100 also mutes encrypted transmissions which makes the listening experience more pleasant when you have mixed transmissions.

If you only had $650 to spend, then look at what your needs dictate in order to pick the proper tool for your use.

As for my likes/dislikes:

1) Performance of the scanner. Sounds great on MARCS-IP and GCRCN.
2) Feels very comfortable to hold in the hand
3) Display is very nice and customization of fields is fantastic
4) Audio quality is good and to my ears, it it seems easier to identify the voices of the officers in my department vs. the G4/G5.
5) Headphone jack is a big plus (compared to having to rig up a bluetooth setup with the G4/G5)

Dislikes
1) I think mine has an issue with the membrane keys - hoping it will be a painless resolution
2) Minor dislike - when the display is off, there's no indication that the unit is on at all (until the next transmission comes).
What's the exact issue with the keypad? That was my first no-no when I saw a more recent video and then it was really shown well with some close up picks that were posted.
Old 06-07-2018, 6:38 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I love the screen and the keypad is growing on me the more I use it.

on a related note Is there a way to order a new SMA to BNC adapter yet?

Most of my BNC cables and Antennas will not twist to lock on it with out pliers.
Old 06-07-2018, 7:22 PM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Hello,

I saw a comment by W1KNE on Scan New England about a small feature that I thought was great.

"4) A huge WIN with this scanner, is on conventional DMR channels, it will show the TGID and UNID, without having to program as a trunk, or go into quick-search mode."

I assume it is the same for P25 and NXDN as well.

The scanner with 3D I/Q!

73 Eric
Old 06-07-2018, 7:24 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

All that is shown even on close call hits.
Old 06-07-2018, 7:43 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by CQ View Post
What's the exact issue with the keypad? That was my first no-no when I saw a more recent video and then it was really shown well with some close up picks that were posted.
I wrote about it in the “first impressions” thread and there’s a video too, but in a nutshell, I can activate the function on the right soft key with gentle pressure before making the key “click” which leads me to believe there is something wrong with the middle/separation layer of the switch. The switch also has a different tactile feel than all the others. I sometimes also have trouble registering a press on the “3” key right under it - and I’m wondering if because the pressure on the adjacent key is activating the soft key as well and the scanner is not allowing multiple key presses.
Old 06-08-2018, 7:26 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
So no setting the Threshold, Manual 8 / Auto decode level, etc.?